Yngwie lands Fender signature guitar, Hostess endorsement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yngwie lands Fender signature guitar, Hostess endorsement

The Yngwie Malmsteen signature strat has been around for a while now. Wolf Marshall had a prototype type one in his Starlicks video on Yngwie Malmsteen.

Comment

By the way.. the pickups aren't all DiMarzio YJM signature pickups.. he uses a YJM in the neck and middle, and an HS-3 in the bridge.

Comment

Oh, and the Malmsteen Strat was first produced in the USA in 1988 (earliest models are found to be made as early as 1987). It was a cross between an American Standard Strat body, a reissue neck (scalloped ofcourse), and Dimarzio pickups. In 1991 a Japan model was launched with a big headstock and the two co-existed for a while. The uS model was eventually dropped and there have been many Japan versions made over the years. Many never available here like one model that has no visable pickups, just a blank pickguard (it has a Fishman powerbridge). Two other models around at the same time were a '68 Strat style and a '72 Strat style with the Yngwie treatment. Interesting huh? How many other Fender artists have three signature series guitars produced at one time?

Comment

Originally posted by jamil:
          then the guy asked him if he knew alexi laiho, because he is inspired by YJM ! and he didn't know him either and said he'd probaly be one of those guys who copy all that i do and don't give him credit for him !!!!! I was just WTF ...... His kind of plying you learn in any theory course ! it's the same scales and shapes that every teacher gives you ! i mean he play a great deal of harmonic minor scales wich are often linear !!! c'mon i used that before i even knew him !!!

conclusion to his eyes :yes well then i am a poor bastard who is immitating him !!! who is learning theory for 5 years now with teacher....yep !
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, since none of these things was being done in the rock vernacular before
          Yngwie came on the scene (except for Uli Roth, whose influence wasn't as widespread) Yngwie is correct in saying that all these rock players copied him.
          Your teacher probably taught you this stuff because he was influenced by Yngwie
          or by someone that was influenced by Yngwie, such as Paul Gilbert, Vinnie Moore, Tony MacAlpine, Greg Howe, Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, etc....

So there's a lot of truth in what he says, it's just so common now because he started this trend when you were in diapers, or maybe yet unborn!

Before Yngwie, everyone copied EVH and really din't give a rat's a$$ about theory.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Ritchie Blackmore, Michael Schenker, Uli Roth, Brian May, and Randy Rhoads all had classical influences before Yngwie hit the scene. He just took it to another level (too far if you ask me). The thing about him is, that's ALL he can play. When I saw him live, the band broke into a 12-bar blues jam, and he still did his usual neoclassical shred stuff over the blues thing. When he played acoustic, more of the same. It was ridiculous to say the least....I kept wondering when the show would be over.

Comment

Also.. I'm not sure, but I think his sig strat is made in the USA today.

Comment

You're right about Blackmore, Roth, Schenker, May and Rhoads having a classical influence too, but in relation to this thread, Yngwie is the one who lit up the widespread interest in theory among rock players. Alexi Laiho IS very
                Yngwie-influenced by way of Paul Gilbert.
                Yngwie is the Bach of neoclassical rock guitar in the historical sense. Before he came along the standard of excellence
                in rock/metal guitar was EVH and 2-hand
                tapping, and most rock guys were not very
                concerned with learning music theory. Yngwie changed that, much more so than any of the other guys you mentioned.

I agree the fact Yngwie doesn't match what he plays to the genre is a big drag
                in his playing, but he was basically the
                first guy to do the 3-minute mile in rock. Since he did it before yopu were born, you've never known anything else, but it was way different before he came along.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Everyone wants to knock Yngwie. I really don't get it. Yea there are some guys out there today that sweep away. When Rising Force came out no one was playing anything like it. The reason there are so many guys out there sweeping and shredding REALLY is because of him,EVH and Randy. You go back to Alcatrazz and even Keel and Yngwie already had his style. I think his biggest downfall is the fact that he is so egotistical that he dictates all the music and doesn't take input from other musicians in his band. His music has become very one sided. I still listen to his new stuff out of curiosity.

As far as his weight it is fun poke at others but it is getting tiring. It is called getting old and not everyones metabolism is the same. Especially if you have done a lot of stimulants and blown out your thyroid like a majority of 80's musicians. I seriously doubt there are as many on that posted, that are in such superior shape they should be critisizing the figure of others.

If you really want to get into it shred has been dead for 10 years(flame away)and anyone new out there now is probably like 3rd generation.

Comment

Originally posted by LRGman:
                    You go back to Alcatrazz and even Keel and Yngwie already had his style.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Keel? Yngwie was never in Keel. I think you mean Steeler. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah Steeler, I was just thinking about Keels horrible vocals.

Comment

hehe I know what you mean about Ron Keel's horrible vocals! He was doing a country thing for awhile as Ronnie Lee Keel, then I heard like a year or so ago he got Keel back together. Don't know what their deal is, but why bother? [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img]
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

well it's good to know that he's losing weight, i was really concerned....ha ha hahahahaha yeah right, who gives a Sh*t. i saw him live years ago, he started playing a 64th note run when he jumped onstage and finished the same run 2 hours later. it was mind numbing. at least his guitars wouldn't stay in tune because it was humid, so he freaked and started a battle with his tech, providing some amusement. i did love his playing back then, and he deserves credit for a lot but he ain't done anything good whatsoever since trilogy, a pretty long dry stretch.

Comment

Well, I wouldn't mind having his talent, no matter how much I weighed. The original point of the thread was that I had not seen any pictures of him in ages, and all of a sudden in the Fender catalog, there he is, 100+ pounds heavier than I last saw him! It was kinda like when I saw Ann Wilson in that acoustic Heart concert, and I was like "holy sh*t! When did she gain all that weight?".

Just takes a guy by surprise sometimes.

- E.
                            Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

i know what you meant dude, i was just razzing you [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] (didn't want you to take it the wrong way) i had the exact same reaction when i saw a picture of him not long ago. i'd like to have his talent too (but i don't by a million miles) i still think trilogy was his last good work though [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, there is a US Malmsteen model (I forgot about it actually). It is like the Japanese models in that it has a large headstock. The first style Malmsteen Strat has been gone since around '95 or '98.

Comment

Working...
                                X