No announcement yet.

Holy Shit ! Metallica - Wired to Self Destruct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decent song, but the bar has been set so low now that it's tough to see them disappointing rather than confirming what we expect LOL I still find it amazing that now they're getting sig amps and pickups, when their tone and overall sound has gone to shit.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

James' voice will never be master/justice/black ever again and that's ok, but come on Kirk, wtf man?
      sigpic
      Action Jackson

Comment

Hate the guitar sound. Where did they put their tube screamers?

Comment

This song sounds like it belongs on Death Magnetic. My son has that cd, I checked it out a couple times never went back to it. This is Metallica for and appealing to my kids and their friends not me.. my Metallica is long gone.

Like someone else said, I'll take new Overkill and old Metallica, and by old I mean... I don't mind Black but for me Metallica is Justice back \m/
          \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
            Hate the guitar sound. Where did they put their tube screamers?
            Their live sound has been even worse to my ears last decade or so, but then I saw this from 3 years ago and thought maybe they shifted a bit https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B2_EKzwwDe4

Ears are individual, but the overall sound is just too muddy. I don't know if it's the way they EQ their rig, but I can't say it's just the production because the live tone is similar. (To be clear not in that clip- thought that one sounded pretty ok relative to when I've seen them or listened to other shows).

It's this weird flubby yet limited percussive thing.

And for a guy who worried a decade and change ago about no solos, Kirk appears to be taking his slot pretty unseriously.

I gave it another listen. I don't despise it but, similar to DM, I don't see much of what others are seeing.
            Last edited by Vass; 08-19-2016, 07:10 AM.

Comment

It sounds freaking great in my car after EQing the 192kbps MP3 rip I did with video grabby thru wavlab. It seems like it's just not completely EQ'd in the studio yet. I like it.

I read an interview with Lars where he said that after playing Kill 'em in it's entirety for the Orion fest, they were in that mode, thus the songs became less progressive. I certainly like that Kirk tried a solo without that god forsaken Wah pedal, but maybe he shouldn't have because that solo is certainly the weak link.
              Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

The solo and his notebook paper snare and kick heads.
                Definitely aimed at high school kids looking for an anthem that captures their anger.

Good rhythm tone and tight.

They need to be on their A game. Anthrax, Slayer and Megadeth brought it on each of their latest discs.
                Any way you could possibly put more shit into your sig?

Comment

Originally posted by artonsafari View Post
                  The solo and his notebook paper snare and kick heads.
                  Definitely aimed at high school kids looking for an anthem that captures their anger.

Good rhythm tone and tight.

They need to be on their A game. Anthrax, Slayer and Megadeth brought it on each of their latest discs.
                  So did Testament with Dark Roots (I know 4 years ago but DM was 8).

Comment

Maybe this is just me, but that tone of the amps sounds like they have their noise gate set to aggressively. My Mark IIC+ and III would get a similar sound when I set my gate in the loop to hot.

Comment

I don't get the whole "they're back!!!" thing... to me, the ONLY thing that separates this song from Death Magnetic is better production. The guitars still have the same shitty tone they've had for the last decade and a half, the lyrics are lame at best, and Kirk is even worse. Just not feeling this one any more than the others aside from it actually being listenable. I WANT to like it, I WANT it to be awesome...
                      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

it's not bad.

Comment

I've certainly heard worse from them. It actually made me want to thrash a little bit. Metallica hasn't made me want to thrash in a veryyyyyyy long while. They certainly get an "A" for effort from me, but I want to know why we haven't had a hell of a lot more songs like this from them the past 20 years.

Comment

I didn't mind Metallica when they turned into a "rock band". From St Anger on...I just don't get it. This is more of that. Kirk's solo sounds so "punched in" too - the timbre doesn't fit with the rest of the "tone" on the song.

I almost shut it off when the first goddam thing I see I Larz' fucking tongue. Come on. Really?

Not the worst I've heard, but far from the best. I'd take the Semen records over this stuff any day.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                              I'd take the Semen records over this stuff any day.
                              +1

old friend just sent me the Load cd for my birthday, fudgin love that album
                              sigpic
                              Action Jackson

Comment

Couldn't make it through the first 60 seconds. Sounds like Saint Angry leftovers.
                                1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Working...
                                X