Vetta vs Soldano rack system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DSS3
    LOL That really doesn't say much at all. The POD has the fizzy high end typical of digital amps DI'd - can't stand it AT all. I actually can't even get a decent lead tone out of it.
    I think the DI sounds fine... heard some awesome tones posted by others of many modelling amps recorded directly, including the XT and Vetta.

Pete

Comment

Yeah, they do sound pretty good, but it doesn't hold a candle to a mic'd amp. I've posted clips of both my XT and 5150 - 5150 slays it every time.

Comment

Originally posted by DSS3
        Yeah, they do sound pretty good, but it doesn't hold a candle to a mic'd amp. I've posted clips of both my XT and 5150 - 5150 slays it every time.
        Listen guys, I'm not bullshitting you here. Our recording studio has the best of the best in regards to mics and cabinets. Some of our recording mics cost thousands of dollars. Most of the time we use a combination of mics when we record but the Shure SM57 is always the dominating mic when it comes to recording live guitar. Our engineer is a senior video/audio editor for Viacom/MTV/MTV2/BET/VH1
        We spent HOURS comparing the Vetta 2.5 DI's to the real thing. The Vetta 2.5 software using the standard SM57 mic sim sounds exactly the same as using a real SM57. Same thing with all the other mic sims that the Vetta has. We even compared the off-axis Vetta sim to a real off axis mic. The response is exact. Even the input levels were pretty much exact.
        For cab sims we used the 4 x 12 V30's and the 75's. The amp model we used was the new High Gain Boutique Soldano X88R. We also used Spinal Puppet and Mississippi Criminal for a few layered rhythm tracks.
        The DI's on the Vetta 2.5 are just as good as using real mics.

With that said.. we did use a combination of Vetta DI's and real mics for recording the guitar because we like to place a mic a few feet away from the cab and when we used an open back cab we would place one behind too. We then blend all the inputs together.
        Now... maybe the POD XT has crappy DI's . I have heard for the most part that they are very good. I never tried recording with one.

Comment

Damn, and I was about to buy a JSX lastnight, John, is there anyway we can setup something, I'd really like to hear this thing, especially now since I have some funds

Comment

Originally posted by donvandam
            Damn, and I was about to buy a JSX lastnight, John, is there anyway we can setup something, I'd really like to hear this thing, especially now since I have some funds
            My Vetta has been home in Milford for months and just this weekend I brought it to my studio in NJ where it remains.
            If you want to hear it I can bring it home this weekend and you can check it out.
            BTW... Twisteramps (Pete) used a JSX and loves it. He has a VERY good ear when it comes to amps AND he used to own a Vetta. I bet he could shed alot of light on comparing the 2. I only heard a JSX live a few times. I didn't like it but tone is subjective and alot of it has to do with the player, the set up and the cabs.
            To me.. it sounded like a weak version of the Carvin Legacy (which is a great tube amp).

Comment

Originally posted by mantis
              I played the Vetta III and found a liking to Vox alot more. When I was shopping for my first amp after a 13 year layoff, I played the Line 6 line up as I heard so many good things about them. After a few times, I couldn't play them anymore. I didn't like the cleans but the effects thing all built in I really liked.
              The Vox Valvetronix Ad120VTX was killer and I directly compared it to the Vetta. The Vox sounded so much more natual and clean. Even the gain channels had a Tube feel to them. I bought the Vox after that shoot out.

Dan
              I agree. VOX is the best modeling I have heard, but I have never had a chance to check out the H&K or this new version of the Vetta. In general though, I usually don't dig the Line 6 stuff.

Comment

The soundclips on Line6 site are sweet but don't fit my tastes. Could you post us some stuff that slays?
                How long did it take you to get your Vetta setup to where now you're convinced it's the best amp you own?
                What cab(s) do you use live with the Vetta?

Comment

I have no doubt that the Vetta sounds better than the SP77 but I wouldn't classify the SP77 as the "real thing" when refering to the Soldano sound. While the SP77 is a decent preamp it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the SLO100, X88R or X99. These represent the "real thing" as far as the Soldano sound. That said, I'm happy you're digging the Vetta.
                  Good deals with:
                  Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

Originally posted by srommes
                    I have no doubt that the Vetta sounds better than the SP77 but I wouldn't classify the SP77 as the "real thing" when refering to the Soldano sound. While the SP77 is a decent preamp it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the SLO100, X88R or X99. These represent the "real thing" as far as the Soldano sound. That said, I'm happy you're digging the Vetta.
                    I disagree. I think the SP77 is absolutely the real thing in regards to Soldano tone. It just doesn't have as much gain as the SLO but it absolutely sounds like a Soldano.

Comment

Originally posted by catzodellamarina
                      The soundclips on Line6 site are sweet but don't fit my tastes. Could you post us some stuff that slays?
                      How long did it take you to get your Vetta setup to where now you're convinced it's the best amp you own?
                      What cab(s) do you use live with the Vetta?
                      Forget the soundclips on the Line 6 website. They are factory patches. They reflect nothing of what the Vetta sounds like. Sometimes I wonder why amp manufactures spend so little time posting soundclips that sound good. Many amp manufactures do the same thing. Maybe they will figure it out one day.
                      I would say the learning curve on a Vetta with 2.5 software from newbie factory semi crap sound to killer sound (and the ability to tweak fast and effectively) is around 2-3 weeks of hardcore training. This is taking into consideration that you join message boards such as The Institute of Noise, the Line 6 board and Vettaville and you ask questions instead of getting frustrated and wasting time trying to do simple things. You also HAVE TO READ THE MANUAL.. and the addendums for the 2.5 upgrade. A Line 6 FBV Longboard is also a MUST HAVE if you want to take advantage of all the great things a Vetta can do live.
                      Regarding cabs... I use 2 2 x 12 Randall slant cabs. One is a closed back with Celestion V30's in it. The other is open back with Altec Lansing 300w Whiteframes. When I built patches I specifically route the 2 amps to the cabs to which they sound best. I do the same thing with the cabinet modeling. I think the combination of open back and closed back cabs in stereo really adds versatility to the Vetta. Plus, I can take advantage of the stereo effects and have the ability of having 2 different amps with 2 different cab models and effect routing completely separate from each other.
                      Less is more with the Vetta. I use my floorboard in an almost manual mode. When I build a patch I design in all my effects but I save the patch with them turned off. The longboard has buttons dedicated to all the effects and stomp boxes. When I need them.. I just stomp. I also have a dedicated solo boost button, tuner button and I am just starting to get into the whammy pedal feature. The FBV longboard has 2 pedals on it too so I have 1 dedicated to wah (btw... you can program in different wahs for different patches) and I have 1 dedicated to volume for swells. You can assign many parameters to the pedals and switches.
                      The Vetta also has a double tracker which is incredible. You can vary the modulation and attack between both amp models which absolutely NAILS the tone of 2 guitar players playing at the same time, especially if you are using different amp models too. Its very handy for rhythm and solos.

There is only one thing that the Vetta lacks IMHO, an acoustic simulator. Technically.. it has one but you need the Variax to use it. Thats the only thing. Not much to complain about.

Regarding volume.. at band practice on Sunday my bandmates DSL100 was up around 4 on the master volume. We were both mic'd too.
                      My Vetta was at 9:00 which is between 2 or 3 on the master volume. I had to turn down a little. My individual amp model levels are always on 5.

The biggest complaints that tube snobs or Vetta users had were:
                      Fletcher-Munson (this is when you have to set up your patches at near gig volume because they changed as you turned the amp up)
                      Crappy wah (only 1 to choose from and it sucked)
                      Some guys didn't like the tuner. I thought it was great. Its even better now.
                      No presence control
                      No loudness control
                      Substandard DI's
                      No Soldano X88R
                      The high gain Marshall model needed to be tweaked too much
                      No dedicated variable global solo boost that could be assigned to any button.

All these issues were addressed, corrected and added with software version 2.5 along with a bunch more new features.
                      There is no reason not to own a Vetta and think its great anymore, at least no reason I can think of.

Comment

let the Soldano system sit for a week of so (don't sell it) and play the Vetta computer system in its place...Come back to the Soldano tell me what you like better....you NEED both systems because you get bored with tone and flip flop like a fish outta water
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz
                          let the Soldano system sit for a week of so (don't sell it) and play the Vetta computer system in its place...Come back to the Soldano tell me what you like better....you NEED both systems because you get bored with tone and flip flop like a fish outta water
                          I agree 100% Shawn.
                          #1. I do get bored.. with both guitars and amps. Way more with amps.
                          #2. Both of the amps are great.

Dude, you nailed it.
                          If I play the Vetta for a week and I plug in the Soldano... I like the Soldano better and visa versa.

The reason I am unloading gear is not because of likes or dislikes. Its simply because of lack of use. I was in 2 bands and almost 3 at the same time for the majority of 2005 and 2006. I can't handle being in 3 bands.
                          Neither can my family. My band Aftermath is keeping me plenty busy.
                          I decided to keep the Vetta mainly because it can handle everything. Its just more versatile and I don't feel I am compromising enough at this point. If the Soldano winds up selling.. I'll miss it. If it doesn't sell, no sweat. I am not hurting for cash or space. I can always buy another one if I get GAS. I'd like to get an SLO for the next Soldano go around. I almost feel like I am doing the amp a disservice by not every using it.
                          At home I play my Carvin X60 Combo and my Boss GT-6 back up rack system. The Soldano roadcase doesn't even open up. Neither does the Vetta for that matter. I have a ton of guitars too but I usually play most of them. It depends on what mood I am in.

At 45 years old with 3 kids who are totally busy with sports and other things and with working 12 hours a day I just don't have the time for bands like I used to.
                          Its funny... with kids.... when they are infants they are alot of maintenance. When they are toddlers or pre-school up to around 8 you only have to plop them in front of the TV with a Barney video or Nickelodeon on and they are all set. When they get to be teenagers and older they require alot of maintenance again. I spend a majority of my time shuttling the kids from the mall, the gym, to different sports they are in and I coach 2 of them in 2 different sports. Its great to have straight A kids who are all very successful in sports,band,chorus, drama...etc... it just takes a huge commitment from the parents.

Comment

Amen brother...I agree...the kids do require a lot of time, its all worth it. You got your priorities in line, I wish all parents did too.
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

does anybody know if it's possible to buy an older vetta like this one

http://www.midigraphics.co.kr/upload...duct/vetta.jpg

and update the new patch that jgcable talked about ?

and are there any mods that can be done on a Vetta ?

also, I guess these amps don't make any noise even with gain at 10 ?

Comment

Yep, I have one of the older Vettas that I've upgraded. You can absolutely use the new software and get the same results John is talking about. The only difference is you'll have to add a ~$100 card to get the digital I/O that's built into the Vetta II, otherwise the I & II are identical.
                                Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Working...
                                X