• Vetta vs Soldano rack system

In my band Aftermath I use my Soldano rack system:
    Soldano SP77 preamp USA model
    TCI G-Major
    Rane PE15 parametric
    Carvin T100 power amp
    Shure rack mount wireless
    Middle Atlantic power conditioner

We play what I would consider prog metal ala Dream Theater. Maybe a little more melodic.

Yesterday we had a short rehearsal/pre-mix down meeting for our new CD and I decided to bring the Vetta HD and try it out since I upgraded it to 2.5.
    I only used 2 patches. Trademark Clean and the new High Gain Boutique model based on the Soldano X88R. I used the new boost feature for solo boost along with a slight tape delay. Thats it.
    I ran it in stereo into my stereo wired Peavey 5150 cab loaded with Sheffields. I had to turn the global bass down on the Vetta because the 5150 cab is a little bottom heavy.
    The other guitarist runs a DSL100 into a vintage 1960A cab. He gets great sound.
    Well... the guys in the band like the Vetta so much they threatened me with bodily harm if I took it back home. Its now chained to the cabinet at our rehearsal space in New Jersey.
    Clarity, punch, killer tone... everything. It just sounded all around killer.
    They also like the fact that it does triple duty as a bedroom amp, an INVALUABLE recording amp and gigging amp.
    How does it compare to the Soldano?? With the new High Gain Soldano patch we all agreed that the Vetta Soldano model sounds better to our ears than a real Soldano and thats only 1 PATCH!!!
    I also re-recorded all of my solo's for our new CD using the Vetta with the new on axis SM57 DI's and we a/b'd them against the Soldano traditionally mic'd up. At least 50% of my solo's on our new CD will feature the Vetta.
    It is now the official amp I am using at BB Kings and for all future gigs with Aftermath. That was an order from the higher ups at Viacom.

I was very pleasantly surprised. I always knew the Vetta sounded really good but the guys in this band are REAL tube snobs. They like traditional gear.
    Anyway... when the CD is finally done you guys can all hear what a Vetta sounds like if you have never heard one.

Back to my Soldano. It sounds great. Really great. I used to think that for straight Soldano tone (which is my favorite high gain guitar tone) nothing could beat it for me. Prior to the Vetta 2.5 upgrade I think that my thinking was correct. The reason being that prior to the 2.5 upgrade the Vetta's Soldano patch was weak. I also didn't like the wah and the Fletcher-Munson thing really made setting up patches a pain in the ass.
    I know its trivial but I also didn't like having to use the loop button for solo boost because its on the upper left corner of my longboard and is fairly hard to get to quickly. With version 2.5 I can put the solo boost anywhere I want. I put it on my "Favorite Channel" button which is in the bottom row and really easy to get at. It also adressed and corrected all of my minor gripes.
    I don't know what I am going to do with the Soldano now. I love owning it but its ashame it has to just sit in the roadcase not being used.

Wow, that is a ringing endorsement, if I've ever heard one!!!
    Thanks for posting this.

Comment

right on dude.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I should have mine by weeks end. I'll let you know how I feel after I have a chance to jam on it at practice this weekend.

Stoked... cant.. wait
        www.myspace.com/madeaband
        www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

nooo ... I'm gasing for one now

Comment

That's cool John..I'm glad you're happy with your rig ..that sure means ALOT when you're playing..it make you want to play and that is what a great amp is all about..

I love my Uber...just the sound of that thing..inspres me to play..

Here's to you man and to great tone..

Bill
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

As weird as this sounds, the more he talks, the more I feel like giving Line6 a 4th try.

Comment

I played the Vetta III and found a liking to Vox alot more. When I was shopping for my first amp after a 13 year layoff, I played the Line 6 line up as I heard so many good things about them. After a few times, I couldn't play them anymore. I didn't like the cleans but the effects thing all built in I really liked.
                The Vox Valvetronix Ad120VTX was killer and I directly compared it to the Vetta. The Vox sounded so much more natual and clean. Even the gain channels had a Tube feel to them. I bought the Vox after that shoot out.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by mantis
                  I played the Vetta III and found a liking to Vox alot more. When I was shopping for my first amp after a 13 year layoff, I played the Line 6 line up as I heard so many good things about them. After a few times, I couldn't play them anymore. I didn't like the cleans but the effects thing all built in I really liked.
                  The Vox Valvetronix Ad120VTX was killer and I directly compared it to the Vetta. The Vox sounded so much more natual and clean. Even the gain channels had a Tube feel to them. I bought the Vox after that shoot out.

Dan
                  Are you sure you tried the Vetta and not the Flextone III?
                  I gave the Vox a good try and I didn't think it even came close to the Vetta HD. The only modeling amp I ever heard that was as good or possibly even better than the Vetta is the Hughes & Kettner Zentera head but its $3300.00 and again.. its only marginally better at best and if you add in all the support you get with Line 6 and the incredible editing software, the Vetta wins.
                  I pretty much gaurantee that the Vetta HD with version 2.5 software is the best sounding modeling amp ever made. It sounds and feels real in every respect.

Comment

John, you should put up samples of both rigs. I spent a good hour fiddiling with my Vetta last night, just trying to decide on the cabinet modeling for some of my patches, and came up with a bunch of great sounds.

Comment

I think that the Vetta would be great, but I'm not sure if it would give me the tube tone and feel that I find all modellers to lack.

That, and I can't stand DI'd guitar sounds. Has Line6 addressed the shitty high end fizz in 2.5?

Comment

Well I love my Flextone III as a bedroom amp. If the Vetta really is that much better, then I might think about upgrading to a Vetta combo after I get my 5150 all set up the way I like it.

BTW John, keep me updated on the new cd. If you're saying the Aftermath project is like a more melodic Dream Theater, then I will be the first one to buy a copy. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by DSS3
                          I think that the Vetta would be great, but I'm not sure if it would give me the tube tone and feel that I find all modellers to lack.

That, and I can't stand DI'd guitar sounds. Has Line6 addressed the shitty high end fizz in 2.5?
                          Yes. The Vetta's DI's are just as good as the POD XT now.

Comment

Originally posted by 1trussell
                            BTW John, keep me updated on the new cd. If you're saying the Aftermath project is like a more melodic Dream Theater, then I will be the first one to buy a copy. Seriously.
                            Ditto. Sounds like something I'd definitely dig. Let us know when the CD is available.
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
                              Yes. The Vetta's DI's are just as good as the POD XT now.

LOL That really doesn't say much at all. The POD has the fizzy high end typical of digital amps DI'd - can't stand it AT all. I actually can't even get a decent lead tone out of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X