Got my JVM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Radiohead View Post
    Funny, when I first got the amp, like everyone else, started on the OD2 Red. After a few weeks, I kept dialing down the gain and I eventually ended up on the Orange OD1. From the manual, I think the voicing replicates a hot rodded JCM 800. I also really like the Green/Amber mode on Crunch Channel which is a Plexi voiced.
    I think this might be the first Marshall in history where players actually want to turn the gain down. I love it in practically all of the modes but OD1 Orange is my favorite. I also prefer OD1 Green for crunch over the actual Crunch channel.
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
      OD1 Orange could be good enough as standalone.
      Absolutely.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
        I think this might be the first Marshall in history where players actually want to turn the gain down. I love it in practically all of the modes but OD1 Orange is my favorite. I also prefer OD1 Green for crunch over the actual Crunch channel.
        It's the same with the 6100. Channel 3 sounds best with the gain boost disengaged, and the channel gain about 3/4 of the way up. I do hit it in front with a boost though. As with most people though, I use channel 2 more than I use channel 3.

I should be getting my JVM tonight, so it's going to be fun to compare the two.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
          It's the same with the 6100. Channel 3 sounds best with the gain boost disengaged, and the channel gain about 3/4 of the way up. I do hit it in front with a boost though. As with most people though, I use channel 2 more than I use channel 3.

That's awesome, and you'll have to keep us updated.

One surprising thing I discovered is that the effects loop is picky, especially with delay pedals. I got a used Boss DD-3 and it barely gave me any delay at all, and when it did it had horrible overtones. But the Memory Boy works great.

Comment

I am looking forward to your comparison between the JVM and 6100. I have a JVM and it got me curious about other high gain Marshalls.
            No honey, I have always had this Jackson....

Comment

That's awesome, and you'll have to keep us updated.

One surprising thing I discovered is that the effects loop is picky, especially with delay pedals. I got a used Boss DD-3 and it barely gave me any delay at all, and when it did it had horrible overtones. But the Memory Boy works great.
              Is the Memory Boy an analog delay? I have heard that digital delays don't play well with certain kinds of loops. My Carbon Copy works perfectly in the loop of the 6100, but I seem to remember that my Ibanez DE7 did not work well in the loop of my Dual Rectifier at all. Similar to what you're describing, it gave me hardly any delay at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al View Post
                I am looking forward to your comparison between the JVM and 6100. I have a JVM and it got me curious about other high gain Marshalls.
                I'm not sure if it's the same with the JVM, but the "high gain" of the 6100 is totally different to any of my other high gain amps. I own a 5150 Block Letter, 3 Channel Dual Rectifier, and a Rivera Knucklehead II, and they all have that smooth, but kinda buzzy distortion. The 6100 is not like that at all. It is more grindy distortion, more akin to a boosted 800. Definitely more Marshall sounding (obviously). I tried out a TSL in my local music store once, and it seemed to have a bit more of that buzzy thing going on, and less Marshall-like. I've listened to plenty of clips, but still can't determine which way the JVM leans. Therefore my only recourse is to get one.

I'm going to go see the guy in an hour.

Comment

Is the Memory Boy an analog delay? I have heard that digital delays don't play well with certain kinds of loops. My Carbon Copy works perfectly in the loop of the 6100, but I seem to remember that my Ibanez DE7 did not work well in the loop of my Dual Rectifier at all. Similar to what you're describing, it gave me hardly any delay at all.
                  Yeah, it's completely analog. I happen to love the Boss digital delays, but I wasn't about to run it inline between the guitar and amp. For me, that's a no-no with a delay.

I also looked at the Carbon Copy. I really like it, but I also like the bigger housing of the Memory Boy.

Comment

I'm going to go see the guy in an hour.
                    I'm not sure when you posted this because of times being screwed up, but I anxiously await your report if you can stand to walk away from the JVM in less than a few hours.

Comment

I'm not sure when you posted this because of times being screwed up, but I anxiously await your report if you can stand to walk away from the JVM in less than a few hours.

I got it!

Review to follow.

Comment

I got it!

Review to follow.
                        Rock on!

Comment

Its the same with the DSL100H. I use the Ultra channel in Lead 1 with the gain on 6 and it sounds perfect. I don't use the Lead 2. It has entirely too much gain but I would think it would be good for death metal players when engaging the tone shift button that scoops the tone out and gives it a more modern rectifier type tone. The classic gain channel set on clean is outstanding. Shimmering and full bodied. The classic gain channel set on crunch is great for blues or classic rock.
                          Also.. the DSL100H has the same reverb as the JVM which I consider to be absolutely outstanding. There is a separate control for each channel.

Comment

I have been looking at the JVM 410. How is it on the classic thrash tone, or should I just get a JCM 800 2210?

Comment

Originally posted by themisfit138 View Post
                              I have been looking at the JVM 410. How is it on the classic thrash tone, or should I just get a JCM 800 2210?
                              I don't think there is a tone you couldn't get with the JVM410. Its an outstanding amp. The 2210 is a fine amp though!

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                                I don't think there is a tone you couldn't get with the JVM410. Its an outstanding amp. The 2210 is a fine amp though!
                                I owned a 2210 for over a decade and I recently bought a JVM. I'll take the JVM all day.

Comment

Working...
                                X