Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
    Exactly....

Or the people that are tremendously smarter than their smug fuckheaded superiors that are sick of being treated like shit and paid less when they know more while the superior rides on the coat tails of their intelligence.
    Sounds like me at my old job. I only lasted a week. I would meticulously do my job but everyone would blame me for their laziness and it drove me nuts. Not only that, but after I quit, they took 2 months and about 8 trips on my behalf to pay me (It was over 30 hours of work owed). My parents were about to report them because it was actually illegal.
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Oh, I bought NOTHING but expensive $30-$50 Imported Japanese Metal/hard rock CDs..up 'till about 6 years ago. When Metal started oozing back into popularity in the states, thank goodness. There is still many bands, including American bands old/new that are not printed on domestic labels. I'm not just talking about underground bands. I'm talking about Whitesnake's "Restless Heart" cd. Many people didn't know Whitesnake was alive 10 years ago..they were. But you had to pay 40+ bucks to have it.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

What does "Made in USA" mean? That instead of a Chinese guy putting it in the box, there's a Chinese-American putting it in the box?

Reality check people - RCA is made in China, Sony is made in China, Intel is made in Vietnam, Ford is made in Mexico and Canada, designer clothing is made in Thailand, the parts in your USA Jackson guitar were made in Korea.

Walmart didn't kill small business. Small businesses killed themselves. If Walmart sells file cabinets for $20, then you sell file cabinets for $18. Don't sell them for $30 and whine about how Walmart kills small business.

99% of people only care about one thing: value. If I can buy a well-built item for $200, or a crappily-built item for $40, I'm buying the $40 item every time. Even if I have to replace it 5 times, I'm still ahead.

I say let the free market take over. Get rid of all the trade restrictions and import tariffs and all of that and let the best product win.
        Scott

Comment

Dont you mean the cheapest product?

Comment

Hey, I am with Bill on this 100%. It is truly a global economy in that just about every assembled product here in the US that is sold through a distributor has some parts that were not made here.

I have no problem buying foreign gear. It is the most affordable stuff out there. As for being junk, some of it is,some of it is quality made stuff.

We here on this forum are forever talking about "bang for the buck" types of gear.

Most on here agree that the Model Series Charvels are among the greatest bang for the buck guitars out there. They were made in an Asisn country. They were made there because it was cheaper for them to be made there. Kind of the exact same thing that we're talking about now.

I really and truly wish it was the case that our American made gear was the best "bang for the buck" stuff out there. But unfortunately it is not.

I bust my ass to make my paycheck. I stretch out every dollar as far as it will stretch when I buy equipment. I research everything that I can to the extent that the internet allows to see what is will fit my needs in the most cost effective way. In nearly every case, American made products come in close to last on my list.

It would be awesome if this wasn't the case, but truth be told, when it comes to electronics (which is predominately what I talking about above), our stuff is more much more expensive than our foreign competitors for no good reason. Much of the internal components are the same. The product does the same thing. Why wouldn't I want to spend less on it?
            I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
              I say let the free market take over. Get rid of all the trade restrictions and import tariffs and all of that and let the best product win.
              Free market? You want a free market? Really? That can't happen until you get rid of anti-trust laws, environmental laws, etc. Now that's a free market.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Jason1212 View Post
                A few things need to happen. Americans need to accept a lower wage, but at the same time wages in other countries need to come up. The average factory worker in China makes about 30 a month. They also need to increase tarrifs and taxes on imported items.
                Why should Americans accept a lower wage? The economy is in the shitter because of decisions that the rich and powerful have made... It sure as hell isn't because of average middle class workers. All lower wages will do is put an end to the middle class. That's not a good thing. The United States is the most powerful country in the world. A Hardworking, CITIZEN should be all but guaranteed to earn a decent middle class living right out of high school/trade school... even without having to go to college in my opinion. I'm not talking about government handouts, I'm talking about being able to earn it through hard work. The loss of skilled trades and manufacturing opportunities in recent years makes this all but impossible now (or will in the very near future if things don't change), especially if the government/big business has their way and does away with the unions or forces them to renogtiate from a position of weakness. Say what you will (unions are not perfect), but unions are the reason we have reasonably safe, high paying manufacturing jobs in this country. Think about it... if a union job is the high water mark as far as pay and benefits go, what will happen if that high water mark is reduced significantly? Non union pay will go down as well, you can count on it.
                Last edited by khabibissell; 04-14-2009, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Khabibissell - that was an excellent post. I am anti union, but you make an excellent point about the 'high water mark'.
                  Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
                    Khabibissell - that was an excellent post. I am anti union, but you make an excellent point about the 'high water mark'.
                    Unions are not perfect but its not due to the reason they exist, which is to protect workers rights. The thing that makes unions bad are the greedy, corrupt asshats that run them. Of course, the same can be said for people in positions of power within our government and big business.

Greedy world we live in... Its a fricken shame. We need someone within our government that has integrity and a set of balls to step up and fix it.

Comment

I still haven't forgotten them Chinamen for what they did to us in Pearl Harbor.

Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe_Steeler View Post
                        I still haven't forgotten them Chinamen for what they did to us in Pearl Harbor.

You know that was Japan right? The Chinese were actually fighting Japan in the second world war... and we were helping them. Just like we are now!

Comment

I try to buy Australian where I can. But beyond groceries, it's not easy. Manufacturing jobs are being offshored. Most of our clothes are made in Asia now. If I want a cheap tshirt, it's made in China. If I want an expensive tshirt (from an upmarket store), it's probably made in China too, only now I'm paying $80 for it. Last couple of tshirts I bought directly from the US, made in Haiti. Similar thing, I think. Manufacturing offshored to a nation where employees aren't protected & are prepared to work for cents just to keep their families alive.

Consumers are partly to blame. Obviously company directors are looking to maximise profits (and their performance bonuses) so if they can sell something for the same price but greatly reduce their overheads, they are going to do it. But the general public who want to maximise their buying power keeping no-name brands like Altec & Soniq in the shops. I'm as guilty as anyone - I can't afford a top of the line German flat screen TV without taking food out of my kids' mouths, but a Chinese made Samsung is a nicely featured device right in my price range.
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

I am so fed up with the unions destroying industry in America like the UAW and GM that I will by commie before union.

Put a hammer and cycle on the product and have it next to a USA product with a stupid UAW logo on it. I am buying commie.

In order for American labor to be competitive in price on the global free market Unions would have to go.

This is not the 1950's anymore the unions have served their purpose.

Comment

All those small American flags you see on the wooden sticks that people wave at parades and have out on Veterans Day and the 4th of july. you know the ones right? Look at the label sometime. Thats right. Made in China.

Comment

Originally posted by broken_fusion View Post
                                All those small American flags you see on the wooden sticks that people wave at parades and have out on Veterans Day and the 4th of july. you know the ones right? Look at the label sometime. Thats right. Made in China.

Wrong...we have several local companies that make flags and flag related products in this area. Nine times out of ten when an area organization uses and or provides flags for display, they are American made.
                                Yes Virginia, there really is a Santa Claus.
                                The Buzzard does not fear
                                The man in riot gear
                                Harvest a skull of stone
                                The Buzzard grows his own...

Comment

Working...
                                X