No announcement yet.

Looking For a Cheap Sports Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only thing cooler than a Probe with a "Bad Ass Probe" written on the windshield would be the same car owned by a proctologist or aliens...

:ROTF:
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

"Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Alot of the Rx-7s with the rotary engines have a problem with burning out the apex seals. They are kinda funny....... the engine either seems to last forever or have a short life-span....not much in between.-Lou
        " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Originally posted by LouSiffer View Post
          Alot of the Rx-7s with the rotary engines have a problem with burning out the apex seals. They are kinda funny....... the engine either seems to last forever or have a short life-span....not much in between.-Lou
          I had an 85, ran to 130k miles with no rebuild, im sure it was tired, tho.
          Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
            Classic Automobile...check into it.

You can buy diffrent plans. I don't drive it much so I have 1000 mile plan. I just bop around here and to the shows and back.

I had to provode them with a photo when bought it in 2005. They didn't connect "classic" and a new vehicle with 0 miles until they saw a pic..duh.

The '84 Vette speaks for itself ..especially with approx 35,000 on the clock and original paint.

I would try to get into a good cond C4 Vette pretty cheap..for best bang for the buck. Then you can insure it like I do at $200 bucks a year.

EDIT:

These rock!!!

Oh Yeah!..lol Remember the LEvi's seats in em?

Comment

Here is the deal; IF I pay insurance, I can have close to whatever I can afford. What are the pitfalls of the mid-late 70s C3 Vettes and the first gen C4s, if any? I know the late C3s were down on power, the build quality was kind of questionable, and the t-tops tended to leak, but I love the Sting Ray look. That is the only car I'm really willing to stretch my money for, as otherwise my focus has shifted to performance 4 doors, but man a Corvette would be BADASS.

Comment

From what I understand the pitfalls of the early 80's Corvettes was the trouble ridden 'Cross Fire Injection' system which i think they used for the first year or two. I think 1985 was the first year of TPI.

Comment

The Cross Fire fuel injection was one of those things that worked great when it was "right"........only problem is that they very rarely were "right".

The C3's have pretty much hit the bottom of their depreciation factor and are starting to move back up on the collectable scale....particularly the late 60's/early 70's with the steel bumpers and the mid-late 70's without the big bubble glass in the rear.

The early C4's, not so much. These are still like the red-headed step children of the 'vettes. The late C4's are great, but, really rough riding.... even with the active suspension control.

Also the C4's had a suspension problem in the rear wheels regarding performance. It was found by Greenwood that in order for GM to save money over using high dollar componants in the rear suspension to handle the horsepower, they actually put a pre-bound or pre-stressed "kink" in the frame. This doesn't mean much to the person that just cruises a 'vette, but, for the performance minded, it has caused some problems.

Also, stay away from the 4+3 standard tranny in the C4's if you plan on doing any thrashing at all. These trannies are prone to failure.

As for performance 4-doors, there are a lot out there to be had. The Pontiac G8, Mitsubshi EVO, WRX STI, BMW M5, etc. Just depends on your wallet.

Also, do not overlook the 2006 GTO. 2 door, 400 HP Vette engine, looks are a little bland, but, with some aftermarket body pieces, they really start to look good......and they can be had for about 15-20K.
                  " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

All the feedback here has very much put a Fiero GT on the table
                    If you get one, you'll have to let me drive it. It's kind of my dream car but I can't bring myself to spend the money.
                    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                      If you get one, you'll have to let me drive it. It's kind of my dream car but I can't bring myself to spend the money.
                      I love the Fiero GT. I had a twin turbo '88. Pissed alot of 'vette and Porsche guys off.

As I said before, if you can't get an '88 model, don't get anything.

Comment

The Vettes being considered here are pretty much bottom of the barrel as far as Vettes go. They are either down on power, down on looks or both Even the GM engineers joked about the mid 70's Vette being more aerodynamic going backwards than forward
                        As for 4 door "performance" cars, you guys are losing me here. I can't coe with 4 doors as anything but the family sedan no matter whether its an Impala with SS emblems on it or super duper BMW. 4 doors make me gag
                        Another car mentioned here which isn't too bad is the newer GTO. Its LS2 motor has the power to move that car. A friend of mine bought a used one about a year ago. However, they do have a problem with premature front tire wear from what I understand. My friend actually video taped his GTO under braking from the side and he saw the front wheel move within the wheelwell! He ended up putting in some urethan bushings I believe but from what he tells me there is no true fix for this problem. I'd still take that car over the mid 70's-80's Vettes.
                        Rudy
                        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                        X