Looking For a Cheap Sports Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking For a Cheap Sports Car

So I'm going to be looking to buy a cheap sports car in the next year or so. I want to spend under $4,000 on it. My Corolla is a fine vehicle, but I can't really use it for HPDE's or track events because of it's three speed automatic, and the car is not worth the effort to put an A/T cooler on.

So, requirements:
    Must be around $4,000
    Low Cost of Ownership (Fairly easy to insure, no premium fuels, no overpriced parts)
    Manual Transmission
    RWD

So these are what I am looking at so far:

Nissan 240SX - Cheap, but they have issues with frame rust. One of my leading choices though atm due to the low average price and 4 cylinder motor.

Toyota Celica (3SGE motor) - I know a fair bit about the drive trains, but I've noticed local ones here also tend to look rusty.

Mazda SA/FB RX-7 - Another kind of retro cool car, but they are a whee bit ugly, and they eat oil from what I've read.

Toyota Cressida - RWD and very solid platform/motor/running gear, more or less a 4 door Supra in terms of drivetrain. Now finding one...

Mazda FC RX-7 - Seems to be a logical improvement over the SA/FB series of RX-7, but again I'm in the dark on a lot of stuff about these in terms of the motors.

Nissan 240/260/280Z/ZX - Cheap, vintage-cool, but instead of the frames rusting like ont he 240SX, the entire CAR rusts :ROTF:

So anyone know anything about the listed cars? Any other ideas for sleepers perhaps that I missed? I'm really trying to avoid V8s like Mustangs due to the fuel usage, and Civics/DSM's due to known insurance issues.

Lotus Seven kit car
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

My 1990 Trans Am GTA fits all of the above except for cheap to insure.

And it will smoke all of those rice burners mentioned in stock form.

edit: never mind - just saw the "V-8's not welcome" sign.
      Last edited by DonP; 02-19-2009, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Hi there. I don't know much about your list, but I have seen a couple of those cars at SCCA events. The 240SX and RX-7 are fairly popular and not too bad maintenance wise. I was on a pit crew and we were racing an early 80's MGB. Pretty easy to work on overall, but the older parts can be a pain in the ass. Other vehicles to consider, and don't laugh, Datsun B210 and the BMW 2000. When set up correctly, the BMW does pretty well in it's own class. That's about all I've got.
        Yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery; but today is a gift; that's why it is called the present.

Comment

Eagle Talon?
          Turbo charger kit for a Saturn SL 1? That would make a sleeper for sure.
          Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I have a Lexus SC 300 that would fit the bill.
            Basically a Supra without the turbo (even though people add them) RWD, 2dr coupe... Or the SC 400 adds the V8 to the mix, but it's not much more output than the I6...
            Only downfall, they do need premium, and the insurance can be a little higher.
            But the old ones can be found used in the 3-4 grand range.
            Don

Comment

Kit Car - Interesting option, but sadly it seems the one's I've all looked at are a fair bit over my price range once you factor in a drive train. I would LOVE a Firebird or Mustang but the insurance and fuel consumption can be nasty on those. I've actually looked at various other Datsun's alongside the 240Z, just not sure if they catch my eyes looks wise. A BMW 2000 would be sweet, not sure about part costs though.

Sadly, Talons/Eclipse cost a LOT to insure here, as do Civics thanks to a few select idiots who gave the cars their rep for illegal racing. I have looked at various cars though to turbo/cupercharge. Right now I've also not ruled out trying to find something reasonable in size with a GM 3800 series motor that would allow me to bolt up an Eaton supercharger.

Now the Lexus SC300 is one I've debated, though once again, insurance and fuel type are kind of concerns, despite the fact the 2JZ is pretty much the stuff of legends among ricers.

Comment

1st gen Neon ACR. Its front wheel drive but an absolute monster on the track.

Comment

I pay $550 a year for full coverage all year 'round for my FFR MKII Cobra..and it eats anything on the street.

plus people love it..especially girls.

"Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I know the Z cars pretty well. Cheap, fast, fun to drive, Ok Gas, cheap to work on (carb versions....) and cheap to insure.
                    "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                      I pay $550 a year for full coverage all year 'round for my FFR MKII Cobra..and it eats anything on the street.

plus people love it..especially girls.

and it was under $4G?
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

mx5 1.8. do you have round abouts in i guess the states?
                        no sig.....

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                          and it was under $4G?
                          Umm no, the wheels cost about that much..

Nevermind..continue.
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Dodge Daytona Turbo Z. 6-cylinder, FWD (easier to pull than to push, and the rear end follows wherever the front end drags it).
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I have always been fond of the 1993-1997 Ford Probe GTs for the money... uses Mazda's 2.5L 24V V6 and a lot of fun to drive. For $4K you might even be able to buy the car AND a turbo or even the Japanese-spec 200HP KLZE engine if you're feeling adventurous.
                              EDIT: It's FWD but still worth a look. I prefer RWD myself but it really handles well.
                              Last edited by tooslowhand; 02-20-2009, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X