No announcement yet.

Looking For a Cheap Sports Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also keep in mind the mid 80's Mustang SVO. there's your non-V8 performance Mustang, it has a turbo'd 4 cylinder. I'd personally still go for a V8 but if you insist on non-V8 powered the SVO had better brakes and bit better suspension for handling plus you have less weight up front. Just another option to think about.
    Rudy
    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
      Yes, and I found some fine specimens..

The Chevy Chevette..well it's a "Vette"..

Hey some of these had V8s..the Gremlin "tennis shoe".

Exploding on rear impact..my fave, the Pinto..

Pussy will be falling out of your pockets..in this Yugo..

It's a Pacer and its beige..what more can you ask?

This actually rules IMO..and its called a Trabant!!!

Geo Metro..0-60 in 15 minutes..good on gas!!

These are the best I can come up with..the rest is up to you!!

those ALL suck!
      Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

Well, in defense of the Ford Probe GT I have had a couple (94 & 95) and the ones I had were very reliable and hardly required any repairs despite years of abuse and neglect at the hands of my friend who owned it prior in the case of the 95. Granted, if any problems were to arise the parts are fairly expensive and the way the engine and accessories are set up it makes it hard to work on. I will also concede that "Probe" is among the gayest name ever assigned to a car but aside from being FWD it was my best recommendation based on the criteria. Ignoring the "no V8" rule, for the money I would submit for your consideration the 1993-1997 Z/28. I found mine to be much more enjoyable of a drive than my 1993 Mustang LX.

Comment

THIS IS WHAT YA NEED!
          "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
            Hey man, it's just a 225 hp bone stock 5.0 ripped out of a '88 Mustang donor. Then you have the Mustang's T5 tranny, and ect from the donor. That with a 3: 55 rear end in a ride that weighs less than 2100lbs is pretty kick ass. A super charger or a shot of NOS would make this thing..well, I'd prolly kill myself.
            man, it'd be killer to kit that one with an Audi 4.2 V8. if it clocks under a ton, you'd have .. well, a rocket, with over 400 HP per ton

damn bill, you couldnt put together a list of worse cars, could you? they're ALL completelly HORRID!!!

btw.. if you want a SPORTS car, go european or japanese (honda S2000 is good too) anything made in america is just a horse cart with an engine.
            Last edited by Davey; 02-23-2009, 07:18 PM.
            You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

Originally posted by Davey View Post
              btw.. if you want a SPORTS car, go european or japanese (honda S2000 is good too) anything made in america is just a horse cart with an engine.
              If you do your own mechanical work on the car you wouldn't be saying that. A Ford 302 V8 is much easier to modify and has been around for decades. Its a reliable motor and from what I've seen at Mid-Ohio the harse cart with an engine can easily be made to run laps around some of these supposed "sports" cars
              Rudy
              www.metalinc.net

Comment

nice to see a Trabant here
                I've seen plenty of them still running in Poland but they cause insane amount of pollution
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

but the best old soviet car for racing would be a Ziguli, specially the 2105, they were suppose to be the Russian BMWs (yeah right ) but they were fucking cool cars and were used in rally racing in the Eastern Block, we had a really nice red 2105 and even my grandmother used to drive really fast with it

Last edited by Endrik; 02-24-2009, 05:28 AM.
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

that is called a Lada Riva ... we had one.. it was appalingly bad

Comment

Fuck they look cool. They also look like their chassis would need restraightening after every stage

My mates dad then bro had a probe, and loved it. I thought it was a crashy suspensioned piece of shit, that looked good and had a kickass name This is my fave pic of one;

Personally I keep revolving around what to upgrade too, and the bmw 318is pops up again and again. I like the idea of a gutless thing I can rev the tits off, whilst providing great balance and handling.

Comment

actually they were fucking strong cars... over the years there were many crashes where a ziguli and a Mercedes were involved... usually the Mercedes' was totally crushed but the drivers were well but the zigulis usually had a slight scratch but the drivers inside were dead

Comment

I guess premium, regardless of economy, works out to be $3.00 more a tank for $10 gallons, and assuming I fill up once a week, is roughly $12.50 more a month, so it's not awful. Still not going to buy a gas guzzler though. I ruled out an RX-7 as I've heard some nasty things about their engines (IE needing a rebuild after every 80k or so, and they are gas guzzlers and oil eaters).

If I didn't think insurance would flip I would serious consider the Porsche 944. I may still toss it around, so I guess I can always get a quote from the insurance company. I've got several people on another forum also pointing me towards the Lexus Sc300. All the feedback here has very much put a Fiero GT on the table. Thanks.

An MR2 would be nice, but oddly I remember some weird rule in the SCCA book where certain classes banned the mid nineties models. I am not sure why it is, I'm guessing issues with how the roll cage would need to be built or something, and I don't believe you can fit a legal roll bar to them easily.

Also, on the subject of the Fiero V8 swaps and I4 Mustangs, I am a firm believer in that you can only build a car to one set weight and size of engine. Same reason I always right off Toyota 2JZ swaps into smaller cars. A bigger engine in a car built for a smaller one will make it drive like a snowplow, ruining handling and weight distrubtion. Likewise, a 4 cylinder in a V6 or V8 car can make it feel lethargic because the car is built for the bigger engine, and is too heavy for the 4 (not that I think a fox bodied Mustang is). This can also actually cause some weight distrubition issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                            actually they were fucking strong cars... over the years there were many crashes where a ziguli and a Mercedes were involved... usually the Mercedes' was totally crushed but the drivers were well but the zigulis usually had a slight scratch but the drivers inside were dead
                            that is about right LMAO .. the bodywork was steel plate and the crumple zones were on the inside lol

Comment

84-85 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE, it has 1.3L rotary engine and all wheel disc brakes. We used to soup these cars up and crash them all the time in high school. The exhaust swaps out real easy so you can pass smog with no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by clifffclaven View Post

those ALL suck!
                                Yeah Cliff, That's what I was going for..Mr. G posted the VW "Thing". I don't know how that one slipped past me.

"Bad Ass Probe"...that's awesome..

I'm just imagining that in my rear..........view mirror.
                                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                                X