Observation of those born after 1980

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Razor View Post
    My wife teaches middle school, and all the above are true. Teachers hands are tied behind their backs. There is no accountability anymore for the great majority of kids today. They lack the accountability where it's needed most, at home. The "oh poor me" and "we're all equal" society of today sucks.

Teachers are actually teaching by state/federal mandated rules that all children are to be taught as equals. Not that some people are just inherently smarter than others. It seems that has leveled the playing field for not only the ones that ass off, but the ones who are just plain lazy and don't get the kick in the ass they deserve at home.
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. They're essentially making it so students cannot fail. They're beginning to mark based on effort and not what you actually did. I really believe by doing this they are hurting the students. Sure, primary and high school will be a cake walk but by the time these people get to Post-Secondary they're all screwed. My history teacher even says that the goal of high school is to prepare you for university or a career. If they keep doing this no students will be able to pass in university. Then they'll have to lower standards there and incompetent people will be filling many important jobs. Do you really want a person who normally would been out of university on day two as your doctor; a job which can have life altering effects on the people you treat? What if they happened to skip the day where they covered what illness you have and you get misdiagnosed. We're all screwed.

And yes, if people were actually disciplined things wouldn't be so bad. I know a person who was failing more than half of their classes and the day after report cards they got a new cell phone. Then a week later they got a car. I guess "Mommy and Daddy" have to keep their little babies happy, even when they are failing.
    Last edited by Ben...; 11-24-2008, 11:25 PM.
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

I notice the same thing. I'm 27 (born in 1981) and make a great effort to at least write correctly (even though English isn't my native language). I take people who can write proper sentences without mistakes (give or take a typo here and there) a lot more seriously than people who don't, either because they can't or are too lazy to.
      Even my girlfriend (who's 22 and she's from England) uses 'text speak'. Granted, the messages are shorter but it takes me 2 reads to find out what she's saying. When I text here it takes me maybe a minute more to write the message and costs a bit more but at least it's proper English!
      I'm not even going to start about forums like www.ultimateguitar.com...

Comment

man, the system is fucked up, poor teachers... "the organization" should NOT let stupid parents tell them what to do, right now the society is supporting that all the work places are filled with incompetent people
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by bibz View Post
          Theres a killer comic strip 'fred gassit' that is the ultimate in aussie-onomatopoeia. i.e. 'Fahn cahns' = fucking cunts
          Gerra big black dog up ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
            And yes, if people were actually disciplined things wouldn't be so bad.

Hmmm yeah, "discipline", now you are talking my kind of language. Wilksy-baby's gonna find himself unemployed if he isn't careful.
            So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              You're right, considering you just used "hear" instead of here. :ROTF:
              AHHHHahahahaha!
              LOL
              It's a good thing I respect your authoritar, or I'd be screaming FUTJ!
              "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
              --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                You're right, considering you just used "hear" instead of here. :ROTF:

"uhm, BURN?"
                "POOP"

Comment

I'm from '87 so I take offense to those remarks!

It's just like it's always been, only today the 'rotten apples' have more opportunities to let themselves be shown.
                  You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
                    one idea was to have a seed symbolize
                    Seed? It could work.
                    I mean it is "Saskatchewan" you are talking about... :idea:

Perhaps a can of Pilsner would work as well? Just give the slow kids a CD with Wheat Kings on it. Can you see Alberta from where you are? :ROTF:
                    "We were sitting on the bus one day and there were 5 of us hanging out. There was only one beer left in the cooler and we actually all took a little cup and split it. It was a pathetic day in a rock and roll when five grown men have to be sitting there sharing a beer. "
                    Zakk Wylde

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
                      AHHHHahahahaha!
                      LOL
                      It's a good thing I respect your authoritar, or I'd be screaming FUTJ!
                      And I'd be going Rodney King on your ass! :ROTF:
                      Respect my authoritarrr!

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post

"uhm, BURN?"
                        Yes, Kelso. A burn indeed! Good day, sir. I said good day!
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingSkull View Post
                          Seed? It could work.
                          I mean it is "Saskatchewan" you are talking about... :idea:

Perhaps a can of Pilsner would work as well? Just give the slow kids a CD with Wheat Kings on it. Can you see Alberta from where you are? :ROTF:
                          No, too much pollution from combines in the way.

Well, it turns out I'm going to be writing an article on this for school. Maybe I'll post it on here later on.
                          "Dear Dr. Bill,
                          I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

I'm 19. I grew up in Europe, never lived in the States. I have passports of two nationalities to my name, and permanent residence permit in a third country. I speak 5 languages (English, French, Czech, German, some Russian (can read Cyrillic + also some Greek)). This is all courtesy of my parents being of two different European nationalities.

United States aside, there is an emerging generation of young Europeans born from parents of different nationalities that, from the onset, can speak three languages (father + mother tongue, English). By the time they become major (i.e. 18), they've probably lived in several different countries worldwide and attended international schools (with English tuition) which have a much higher standard of education than your local public schools (int. schools are usually private). They complete reputed high school programs such as the International Baccalaureate (which I did myself) and enter some pretty fuckin good unis either in the States or the UK.

With the internet being the powerful information tool that it is, these kids go places. I mean, I'm gonna have a BSc. in chemistry by the time I'm 20, if all goes well. I have a friend at my uni here who's completeing his BSc. in chemistry in 2.5 years, and will have a Masters in 3.5 years, when he's like, 21, 22 max. How? Internets. Great education resource.

Yeah, it's really bad what you see in the United States, some people in your good ole country are really fucking dumb. It's no better here in Germany, seriously, some of the shit that's going on in middle schools / high schools is really bad, kids are fucking stupid, same problem with parents not disciplining them. And holy shit the Turks here need to learn to behave sometimes, attempting to mug me and whatnot (bad idea, I'm 192cm / 6'3", 90kg / 200 pounds, play rugby, don't take shit well).

In the end I worry not about this situation because I know that it is my generation of multicultural Europeans who will stay on top of the food chain, so to speak. I know it's not nice and it's not fair to the assholes but the concept of meritocracy has not vanished - it's just some people don't have the balls to tell themselves that it's their fault for not putting in the hard work that the system is failing them.

Comment

Originally posted by varador View Post
                              I'm 19. I grew up in Europe, never lived in the States. I have passports of two nationalities to my name, and permanent residence permit in a third country. I speak 5 languages (English, French, Czech, German, some Russian (can read Cyrillic + also some Greek)). This is all courtesy of my parents being of two different European nationalities.

United States aside, there is an emerging generation of young Europeans born from parents of different nationalities that, from the onset, can speak three languages (father + mother tongue, English). By the time they become major (i.e. 18), they've probably lived in several different countries worldwide and attended international schools (with English tuition) which have a much higher standard of education than your local public schools (int. schools are usually private). They complete reputed high school programs such as the International Baccalaureate (which I did myself) and enter some pretty fuckin good unis either in the States or the UK.

With the internet being the powerful information tool that it is, these kids go places. I mean, I'm gonna have a BSc. in chemistry by the time I'm 20, if all goes well. I have a friend at my uni here who's completeing his BSc. in chemistry in 2.5 years, and will have a Masters in 3.5 years, when he's like, 21, 22 max. How? Internets. Great education resource.

Yeah, it's really bad what you see in the United States, some people in your good ole country are really fucking dumb. It's no better here in Germany, seriously, some of the shit that's going on in middle schools / high schools is really bad, kids are fucking stupid, same problem with parents not disciplining them. And holy shit the Turks here need to learn to behave sometimes, attempting to mug me and whatnot (bad idea, I'm 192cm / 6'3", 90kg / 200 pounds, play rugby, don't take shit well).

In the end I worry not about this situation because I know that it is my generation of multicultural Europeans who will stay on top of the food chain, so to speak. I know it's not nice and it's not fair to the assholes but the concept of meritocracy has not vanished - it's just some people don't have the balls to tell themselves that it's their fault for not putting in the hard work that the system is failing them.
                              Well said varador.

I've recently made a good friend over these interwebs that seems very much like you (Hi TOM= !).

I must say, he speaks (and types) better english, plays better guitar, and has a better work ethic than 90% of the people I consider "on the ball" here in the good old USA.

We seem too content with our X-Box 360 and Nintendo Wii.

Let's face it, we're willing to watch the rest of the world blow our doors off! (It's too much work to keep up).

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                              --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
                                I've recently made a good friend over these interwebs that seems very much like you (Hi TOM= !).
                                Plus, he embraces the joys and wonders of POOP!
                                "POOP"

Comment

Working...
                                X