Observation of those born after 1980

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observation of those born after 1980

I would like to start this off by saying, this is not a post to make people in this demographic to feel offended or looked down upon. I also understand that not everyone within this demographic is guilty of this. This post is nothing more than observations I have made in the last few years and it seems to be multiplying. So, here it goes:

In my opinion, alot of people born after 1980 were given a multitude of information and ways to retrieve this information that makes me somewhat jealous. Me being 35, was past the apex of my learning peak when PCs, internet, openness of such subjects as sex and drugs and the general wealth of knowledge that is to be had on the net now. Because of this advantage, they will be a bucket of knowledge and know how that was unimaginable just 2 decades ago.

But, at what cost?

Moms and dads everywhere have let kids sat plastered in front of a PC or video game everyday feeling it was easier and safer than letting them just hang out. I am sure people 2 generations ago felt the same about the TV, but, that input was heavily regulated. The information was not attainable through TV like it is with the internet.

You are probably thinking, "What the hell is the point to this post?"

Well, again , in my own observations, alot of the newer generation I am jealous of, is a generation I feel sorry for. They are unable to maintain basic communication and have become very calous to emotions and empathy towards others.

I think this is because they have sat behind text messages and PC's. When I asked a girl out, I had to do it to her face to face. If she said no, I had to deal with that rejection and those emotions. I see alot of younger peeople running through this important piece of life as if its no big deal: " Text Suzy to see if she wants to be my girlfriend....she said no... what about Tiffany...she said no....oh, ask Janet...etc. " Same goes for break ups and maybe misunderstandings with your best friend(s). Everything is done in text or IM. You need these important things in life to learn how to adapt and become stronger mentally and emotionally when you are faced with a challenge such as this.

I placed some items up here on Craigslist for sale and responded by phone to a few replies I got simply because the message that I received had less than stellar spelling. Most of the time, it was text style of spelling. I also noticed those that did try to type normally, did not know the difference from "to, too and two", " their, there, they're", and their spelling was horrid. Every one of those people I talked to were under the age of 26.

I know, there are people much older that have the same problems with basic english, but, it seems to be getting more widespread...in a time when it should be coming to a halt.

The phone calling brings me to the next issue. There was no introduction on their behalf. There was no warmth to the call. There was nothing. It was like talking to one of those automated answering services. Cold, calous, no soul, no basic manners or ettiquette...nothing. There was no "Good-bye" from them before they hung up. They just hung up.

This generation got lost in technology and have missed out on all the ups and downs of basic human interaction.
    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

I agree. They've become lazy and forget how to spell correctly, due to the text abbreviations. It's just stupidity and laziness on the parts of the kids and thier parents. Lack of involvment on the parents parts in the kids lives. And what with the saggy pants? pull your pants up tardo... You look like you got shit in your pants and i dont want to see your uderware.
    Gil

Comment

I agree with you a hundred percent. It's the "automated" generation as I call it.

Comment

I was born in '79 so I'm exempt.
        'Howling in shadows
        Living in a lunar spell
        He finds his heaven
        Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Isn't it funny, though, that some of those who can't take the time to add the extra letters to form complete words or use proper grammar and spelling will put forth so much effort to defend their use of net-speak?
          I'm looking forward to the first reply of "GRAMMER NAZIS!" or some barely readable "i dont c what teh prblm is my frenz all no what im sayin 2 them u guyz need 2 liten up rotflmaololarzz!!11!!1!!!!"
          If you'd like to see where this break-down in communication could lead, watch the movie Idiocracy. It's not the greatest movie, by any means, but a good example.

Comment

it's actually "GRAMMAR".
            Hail yesterday

Comment

It's intentionally spelled wrong the second time. That's why it's in quotes as if it was a reply from a net-speak defender.

Comment

Idiocracy is a prophetic movie. Wait and see. Actually, scratch that. Instead, pray you don't live to see it become reality.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I hate textspeak, especially , I get e-mails at work full of it.."cud u do this.."etc

e-mail FFS, how hard it it to TYPE a couple of extra letters!!

mind you, maybe it is us decending into old age and whining about how it never rained when we were young?

Comment

I completely agree with you except for one point. I think what you are describing is valid for kids today, not for dudes coming up on thirty. I was born in 81 and I think that the younger generation are luckier in the sense that they grew up during the it revolution. Maybe things are different in the states, being one of the first countries go online.
                    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Idiocracy is already hear.

Except for the garbage everywhere (well, depending on where you live I guess), and the bar-code tatoos, all of the other elements of that movie are already in place.

Now, quit talking like fags, all of you!

(If you've not seen the movie, please don't call me a homophobe!)

hehe
                      "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                      --floydkramer

Comment

it's great, just make sentences which consist more than 2.5 syllables and girls are easily impressed
                        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Idiocracy ruled!!! Also, checkout " Let's go to Prison".

This generation has all this technology and ways to learn things better and faster than any generation before it..... so they utilize that knowledge by videotaping themselves kicking each other in the groin and plastering it on YouTube.

Again, I am jealous of this generation for these things laid at their feet, but, I also feel sorry for them.

I got some interesting e-mails after I put this on Craigslist here in Columbus. A few from this demographic I spoke of that agreed with me and some not so nice ones. I blame the parents for most if not all of it. -Lou
                          " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

This problem isn't restricted to "text speak". People can't read or they're dyslexic. Face it. People love being chav's.
                            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I think the right response to this thread is:

WHO GIVES A SHIT?

I bet people born in the 90s think we're cave men.

Shit changes, get used to it.

People in the 1800s would say you missed out on a lot of stupid shit as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X