No announcement yet.

Oh, great... Best Buy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shawn, it simply isn't sustainable. You cannot have a purely consumer society. You simply cannot export most of your money and hope for the best. Somebody has to produce something. Somebody has to have a job. There are not enough job openings on corporate boards or outsourcing consultants to employ us all.

Your reasoning is the same as what folks that hire illegal workers use - "they do the same job for less wages, why should I care who does the work?" Who cares if they don't pay taxes. Who cares if they cost us billions of dollars annually in medical costs, schooling, etc. All that matters is that someone got their fence put up cheap.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

So how about Best Buy getting into guitars and shit?

Comment

there is nothing illegal about buying Old Spice deodorant at Wal-mart...hiring an illegal employee and paying them under the table is...bit difference.

I understand exactly where you are coming from but people who are barely making ends meed are not going to pay mroe for something if they don't have the means to do so.

back on topic -

Chris..I'd have no problem buying a guitar or amp at Best Buy...I mean they can't be set-up any worse that Guitar Centers
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
          there is nothing illegal about buying Old Spice deodorant at Wal-mart...hiring an illegal employee and paying them under the table is...bit difference.
          You're right, there is a big difference. Walmart's business practices are far more deviant and harmful than some contruction company hiring illegal day laborers.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
            Thanks for that information - that makes everything OK!
            It might not be OK, but when there is no other option, why complain about it? People aren't going to stop buying cheap stuff. Why not capitalize on this and run a chain of stores that sells cheap stuff?

Personally, I hate Walmart and avoid it at all costs simply because the stores are dirty, the workers aren't helpful, and the other customers are usually smelly and rude. But aside from Target, where can I get my groceries, a new computer desk, and an oil change all at the same place?
            Scott

Comment

when North America becomes a group of 3rd world countires, I'll become concerned with sending jobs overseas.

most of our homeless people live better lives interms of health and they definately eat a lot more food then they do over there.

but the average Joe over in 3rd world countires doesn't seem to complain near as much as a lot of the average Joe's and above over here, I'm not meaning to make me sound like a great guy, we all complain like hell about stupid shit over here.

"My TV is only 42" and my neighbor's is 48"
              Out Of Ideas

Comment

All of you guys make excellent statements.

Comment

Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post
                  when North America becomes a group of 3rd world countires, I'll become concerned with sending jobs overseas.
                  Are you a United States Congressman? You sure sound like one.

That is precisely what you don't want to do. Once that happens it is too late! What you are describing is reactionary government. This always results in poor long-term results in trade for usually unrealized short-term gains. And we get all sorts of knee-jerk decisions that destabilize everything else as well.

The current administration has raised the bar substantially in making short-sighted decisions that produce about an order of magnitude worse results than the problem we started with. At times this can seem like a perpetual motion machine. If only there was a way to harness the power of anti-progress.

- Newc

Comment

If only there was a way to harness the power of anti-progress.
                    Just think!! If we could power our cars with it we could go like.... uh... nowhere...
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

Are you a United States Congressman? You sure sound like one.

That is precisely what you don't want to do. Once that happens it is too late! What you are describing is reactionary government. This always results in poor long-term results in trade for usually unrealized short-term gains. And we get all sorts of knee-jerk decisions that destabilize everything else as well.

The current administration has raised the bar substantially in making short-sighted decisions that produce about an order of magnitude worse results than the problem we started with. At times this can seem like a perpetual motion machine. If only there was a way to harness the power of anti-progress.

Hell, If they let Arnold become governor of Cali, why not let me be in congress, Canada is closer than Germany, or wherever old Arny is from so I should be a shoe-in
                      Out Of Ideas

Comment

Shawn - Yes, I shop at Wally World (that bit was apparently erased when I was editing that post). I do not believe I'm the only person who can turn the swelling tide by shopping elsewhere, especially given the fact that all the alternative places to shop ALSO get their wares from the same sweatshops.

A few short years ago WalMart had more USA-made merchandise to choose from. Today they don't.

As Tim said, when the only jobs in this country are shipped overseas, who's going to buy these products? We can't all work for WalMart, and there's only so much room for managers and other executives.

On the subject of BestBuy selling guitars: since I don't have a BestBuy in town it doesn't affect me. Even if we did, I'd only use them for in-hand demos and do my buying online if I can get a better price.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

make sure that if Walmart starts to get guitars, they don't get the Chinese Gibsons! THOSE BASTARDS!
                          Out Of Ideas

Comment

USA alternatives do exist for many things if you look. My wife and I make a concerted effort to buy USA goods when we can - or at least North America. You just have to look. And you usually don't actually have to pay more. Places like Walmart have got folks convinced you must buy cheap imported goods to get reasonable prices. The reality is that Walmart has kept the price on par with US made products but reduced their costs by going overseas. Just shop around a bit, you'll see what I mean.

Also, Walmart isn't actually substantially cheaper across the board. In fact, they are often higher. They will be lower on anything that is currently advertised by competitors or new and hip. But if you are really paying attention the savings aren't substantial. Particularly when you consider the future cost.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post
                              make sure that if Walmart starts to get guitars, they don't get the Chinese Gibsons! THOSE BASTARDS!
                              I've seen plenty of guitars at WalMart. They carry First Act.

And before this I've seen guitars at Best Buy, I actually purchased a couple of Lyons (Washburn) for my nephews at Target. But I saw them and StarCaster (Fender) along with a Gibson of sorts at Best Buy.
                              Occupy JCF

Comment

I shop at Wal-Mart a few times a year.

The only reason is it's open 24 hours and Target is not.

The only times are when a video game is coming out and I can't wait another 9 hours until Target opens. I just did that last week with NCAA Football 09. Fuckin' game rules. I'll do it again the night of August 11th when Madden 09 comes out.

I like Target better than Wal-Mart. But I see them as somewhat the same thing.

But Target is a nicer, cleaner, smarter store than Wal-Mart. That's the reason I don't like Wal-Mart, the stuff tim said. Shitty store layout, marginal staff, dirty floors, 92 checkout lanes with only 2 open and long lines, ect.

As for the China thing? Try to not buy from China, it's next to impossible.
                                I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Working...
                                X