No announcement yet.

WOW. Kids are not really smart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are not talking suffocation here. That would mean that the pressure was so great on his torso that he couldn't breathe. I read it as he "drowned" in sand, rather than he suffocated.

But fine, blame the kid for being stupid. I still think it's tragic and feel for his family. But I guess I'm in the minority. Cool. That's one I don't mind being in.

Hopefully this kind of thing never happens to you. But if it does, I hope you don't have to read some comments like I've read here.
    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Bengal. We obviously have a different conception on how much a kid has the ability to understand consequences. For me, once a kid hits 5, they know. Did the parents fuck up on this one? No. Did the parents cause an attractive hazzard? No.Can there be an adult there all the time. No. Kids, with all the shit they see on TV and all the warnings they get should know better. And, yes, they are kids. And that is the one part that should scare the shit out of us.
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

fett,
        Understand the concequences or not, it's a horrible accident. What does it matter if he knew it could kill him or not? Does it make it better if he did? Maybe to those saying snide comments here it does but to me it doesn't. It's still a horrible accident. And yes, I'm calling it an accident. I see in one of your posts (#9) you don't think it should be. What should it be called? Negligent homicide? Against whom? The parents or his friends?

Either way a kid is fighting for his life. I don't really care what he thought he knew or didn't before the incident happened.

EDIT: I can't get with the "kid should have known better, fuck him, he deserves to die" mentality that is so pervasive here.
        Last edited by Bengal; 03-10-2008, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
          EDIT: I can't get with the "kid should have known better, fuck him, he deserves to die" mentality that is so pervasive here.
          I never said that. I said it's most likely the fault of the parents and their lack of parenting skills. They'll probably be assholes and try to sue the TV station for playing the cartoon, too.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

This was no accident. It was a deliberate act by a group of kids that turned out tragically. To call it an accident is to not blame. I blame the kids.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              I never said that. I said it's most likely the fault of the parents and their lack of parenting skills. They'll probably be assholes and try to sue the TV station for playing the cartoon, too.
              Toe,
              I didn't post that at you at all. That "attitude" shows up on other threads as well as this one. You know the kind I'm talking about. Posts like these are asshole magnets.

They might sue the station but if they win, why shouldn't they? The system is broke and it's not getting fixed anytime soon. It's easier for the station or the producers of the cartoon to "buy off" people like this than it is to go and fight it out in court and show the parents for what they are. Can't say I'd blame them for taking that sure thing.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                This was no accident. It was a deliberate act by a group of kids that turned out tragically. To call it an accident is to not blame. I blame the kids.
                fett, it was an accident. I'd like to see you prove otherwise.

What you're saying is the kids knew he would die when they did this. Is that what you are saying? You know that for a fact or is this just more "drunken wisdom"?

EDIT: So if it wasn't an accident, what was it fett?

Kids know cars can run you over, it doesn't stop them from darting out into traffic. When a kid gets hit, what is it?

Re-reading your post you make it sound like murder.
                Last edited by Bengal; 03-10-2008, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Fett, ask your son how much stupid stuff he did as a child without you knowing about it...
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

I didn't mean they intended to do the kid harm. Give me a break. However, they thought this out. They did everything. The kid talked them into it. The others did what he asked. Just how can that be defined as an accident?

Comment

Toe,
                      I didn't post that at you at all. That "attitude" shows up on other threads as well as this one. You know the kind I'm talking about. Posts like these are asshole magnets.

They might sue the station but if they win, why shouldn't they? The system is broke and it's not getting fixed anytime soon. It's easier for the station or the producers of the cartoon to "buy off" people like this than it is to go and fight it out in court and show the parents for what they are. Can't say I'd blame them for taking that sure thing.
                      True, I get what you're talking about, but it'll be the same shit that happened with Beavis and Butthead when it was on the air... blame TV for being a bad babysitter to your kid because he burned the house down and killed his sibling. Just because it's a cartoon does not mean it's meant for kids, and parents need to take more responsibility in raising children.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                        Fett, ask your son how much stupid stuff he did as a child without you knowing about it...
                        No. :ROTF: This incident is still way different. I may be spiltting hairs but I am convinced that I am sure glad I don't have young kids.

Comment

I didn't mean they intended to do the kid harm. Give me a break. However, they thought this out. They did everything. The kid talked them into it. The others did what he asked. Just how can that be defined as an accident?
                          Because the end result wasn't what they thought it would be. That's why it would be defined as an accident.

When that person in the car hits the kid, he didn't intend on hitting the kid when he ran to the store to get a pack of cigs. So his intent was to get cigs. The outcome was he hit a kid. Therefore it's an accident.

Here's the definition fett so you'll get some knowledge from this.

1 a: an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance b: lack of intention or necessity : chance <met by accident rather than by design>
                          2 a: an unfortunate event resulting especially from carelessness or ignorance b: an unexpected and medically important bodily event especially when injurious <a cerebrovascular accident> c: an unexpected happening causing loss or injury which is not due to any fault or misconduct on the part of the person injured but for which legal relief may be sought d—used euphemistically to refer to an involuntary act or instance of urination or defecation
                          3: a nonessential property or quality of an entity or circumstance <the accident of nationality>

Comment

No. :ROTF: This incident is still way different. I may be spiltting hairs but I am convinced that I am sure glad I don't have young kids.
                            your in denial :ROTF:

I know I did some risky and flat out stupid stuff as a child and that is no reflection of my parents intellect levels I was just a risk taker and adrenalin junky
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              I don't agree that it's a "fuck 'im, he deserves it" mentality at all; I also don't see that it's the parents's fault either. This kid didn't have the sense enough to realize he'd be putting himself into such a situation. As Fett points out:

This is a responsibility thing through and through and guess what? The station showing the cartoon's NOT responsible. The parents are responsible only for not teaching their kid that doing stupid things has consequences. And if they did, let's say they're actually not the majority of parents out there nowadays, then it's squarely on the shoulders of the kid himself and the kids who were also too stupid or ignorant to figure out there'd be problems.

No one's arguing that the parents are rightly going through a tough time right now. No one's saying "screw that kid, he deserves it" for being a kid. But the fact is, the kid made a stupid decision and now he's living -- albeit barely -- with the consequences of his action. It's not tragedy; it's cause and effect. I can prove it: If he hadn't buried his head in sand, he wouldn't be going through this right now. And to make a distinction, something that would fit the definition of "tragedy" let's point to New Orleans and Katrina since we can see both there.

You have tragedy: people who were warned and were trying to get out before the shit hit the fan but didn't make it.

Consequence: people who were warned and sat around and waited for someone to do something for them.

Comment

It's not a tragedy? Let me guess, you don't have kids.

I'm not saying the station is responsible. I'm saying that if the station is willing to pay off the parents instead of going to trial, you can't blame the parents for taking them up on it.

You might say you don't believe in the "fuck him, he deserves to die" mentality but your post sure reads like it.

Comment

Working...
                                X