Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billboard magazine is reporting the tour is not cancelled, just shows being rescheduled. I'm trying to get my friend Chris (wolfie's tech) to give me some gossip!
    Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

• Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
      On a positive note, I can play Eruption as good as Eddie Van Halen now.
      :ROTF: funny shit!
      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

• $140 !
        I can't even remember how much my tix were back in, uh 1979....oh wait, I just remembered: zero! They were VIP tix and were given to me by Eddie himself!
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

• Originally posted by RacerX View Post
          $140 !
          I can't even remember how much my tix were back in, uh 1979....oh wait, I just remembered: zero! They were VIP tix and were given to me by Eddie himself!
          The first time I saw VH back in 1982 tickets were $7.25 with no ticketmaster charge.

Inflation sucks.
          I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

• Originally posted by Bengal View Post
            The first time I saw VH back in 1982 tickets were $7.25 with no ticketmaster charge.

Inflation sucks.
            Shit, even in 92 tickets were still around 20 bucks. 78-92 thats 14 years.

92-07, 15 years and somehow tickets prices have increased 10 fold, WTF?

We all need to give the Eagles a smack for doing this to concerts, it's was them and that Hell Freezes Over Tour that started this insane concert ticket pricing.

They charged $100 per tickets and everyone thought they were out of their mind, but the public bought them and the tour was a huge success. After that a lot of other artist followed, changing ticket prices for ever.
            Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

• when no one gives a shit about buying records and are downloading free mp3's then damn right the artists are gonna take a lot of money for the tickets
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

• Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                when no one gives a shit about buying records and are downloading free mp3's then damn right the artists are gonna take a lot of money for the tickets
                Thats a good point too, actually. Never quite thought of it like that, but it does make sense.
                Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

• I'd like to see the math. I'm sure these type artists are making way more bank now then they did back in the 80's.

Not saying that downloading is good. But CD prices have not really jumped that much since they came out but concert tickets have gone through the roof. Well, they have for artists like this. Lamb Of God can't charge $100 for a ticket. Those are the guys getting screwed, not Van Halen.

Comment

I'd like to see the math. I'm sure these type artists are making way more bank now then they did back in the 80's.

Not saying that downloading is good. But CD prices have not really jumped that much since they came out but concert tickets have gone through the roof. Well, they have for artists like this. Lamb Of God can't charge $100 for a ticket. Those are the guys getting screwed, not Van Halen.
                    famous bands like Van Halen are used to live a certain lifestyle... they are used to get a lot of cash coming in... usually those bands don't want to lower their "standards" it could be a sign to the industry that the band doesn't have much market anymore yadda yadda yadda

anyway the album sales have gone drastically down, the biggest record labels are in depts, the bands make most of the money from the concerts and merchandise... they don't make shit from album sales anymore

the things have gone so bad that the labels are getting involved with the concerts and merch... when they sign an artists they don't only want the rights for the songs and albums but also a certain percentage from the ticket and merch sales
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

• Which proves the point that artists are not really "losing" out on any money lost due to downloading. The record companies are. Thats why they want in on the merch, because they see their profits going down due to slagging album sales. That's going to be a huge fight for bands in the future, keeping the record labels out of the merch and ticket business.

Comment

I'd like to see the math. I'm sure these type artists are making way more bank now then they did back in the 80's.
                        only old established bands are making the money... the industry is fucking dead... zero... these days new bands don't have a change to live like a real rockstars (driving ferraris, owning mansions, fucking all the playmates etc.) because the albums sales are so low.... durning the old days when a new band got his first hit out, people brought their albums and the band got money... these days when a band gets their "hit" out... everybody downloads their albums... no money comes in... the label, promoters, managers etc. don't have any interest financing the bands concerts etc. they have to stick with the fucking clubs

Comment

• Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                          when no one gives a shit about buying records and are downloading free mp3's then damn right the artists are gonna take a lot of money for the tickets
                          And that, is the trade off my friend.
                          When most don't buy retail CD's and download the tunes, yes, the artist will charge an expensive ticket price. Its just the way that is these days.

However, when one is spending 140.00+ for a single ticket and witness a very poor performance. It does have a very strong tendency to NOT sit well with the individual, regardless whether its the artist has the right to charge higher ticket prices or not. I honestly don't think most folks would complain IF the overall performance was above decent/above average.

Ex. and my view.......
                          At a nice restaurant you pay the price for a meal.
                          Part of that meal could be a egg or steak.
                          I pay 12 to 15+ dollars for a meal and as asked by the waitress how would you liked that cooked? You bet, I'm expecting that egg or steak to be prepared the way I asked. If not, I'll motion for the waitress and she'll make sure to correct the problem. I'm definietly NOT gonna eat a runny uncooked egg. Some may not have a problem eating a runny uncooked egg, but I won't. To each their own.

Its the principle based on price (meal or ticket) vs performance (egg not cooked right or groups performance sucked).

I'm different though in comparision to most folks.
                          I have no loyality when it comes to alot of things (vehicles, restr, groups, artists, clothes and etc.).

Meaning, I can play guitar and haven't been to a concert since the late eighties. Most of the stuff they play I can play as well if I wanted to.
                          I don't support my so called childhood guitar icons by attending their shows or buy their CD's and etc.these days. I just learn their stuff (what grabs me) and I think thats a simple form of flattery to the player/artist, as well as, I learned something cool along the way. The mystic and intrigue looses its luster when you can play the artists stuff. The need or desire to attend a show leaves you. It least for me it does. Going to a concert whether I go by myself, friends or wife. Its just not on my "A" list.

Going to see VH with Dave did strike me a small bit, but, when little Wolfie became a part of it I lost the interest needed to pursue a concert. BUT, when I heard of the higher ticket prices that sealed the deal.

I knew then and there, regardless of whose right it was for the high ticket prices, screw it, I don't have that kind of loyalty. I don't care how many would rant and rave how wonderful the show was. It didn't change my decision, I just don't have that kind of loyalty. I'm not that big of a fan of ED since these recent last few years or so.
                          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

• Well, the "famous" band from here is doing platinum on every album they put out. Are they Millionaires? No, but they do pretty good. But like you said, it's not in album sales, it's in merch. The band is a merch machine and that is bringing in the bank. That and companies like Bravado paying out serious cash to these artists for the right to make their merch. Granted most of that is an advance but there is money there.

1 million units sold today might mean more sold before the computer age. It would be very hard to tell. I know it's the perfect "scapegoat" for some in the industry.

Comment

• soap, but you can't compare "art" with a meal... there aren't any guarantees, no "get your money back" crap... art is very subjective and has very broad boundaries compared to material objects wich you can buy
                              Last edited by Endrik; 03-05-2008, 05:38 PM.

Comment

• I never send back food at a restaruant. I have a problem with eating spit or splooge or asswipings or whatever it is they will put in your food when you send it back.

I've known a few people that worked as chefs and they told me that was the number 1 No-No for chefs.

Comment

Working...
                                X