No announcement yet.

What's your hazzard from hell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Illinois we have a fault line in the southern part of the state, too many tornadoes and I think we have the most nuclear plants then anywhere else. This all pails in comparison to the shitty fucking drivers!

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
      Learn what that scale means. Google it and you won't like what it says. An analogy. The difference between 3.2% beer and 5.6% beer is not 2.4%. It is almost twice as strong. The difference between a 3.2 and a 5.5 quake makes that look silly. I'm too lazy to look it up.
      Well aware dude. Sure its not a huge quake, but I'm in the middle of nowhere plate wise and it was as out of the blue as it can get! Zero buildings were built with any type of shake in mind, and it caused a huge amount of destruction. I was 7 I think and in a dog food isle of a supermarket. I remember watching the cans above me shaking goin 'what the fudge....'

wiki produced this;

4.0 1 kiloton Small atomic bomb
      5.0 32 kiloton Nagasaki atomic bomb
      5.5 178 kilotons Little Skull Mtn., NV Quake, 1992

Maybe I'll go back to saying it was actually pretty brutal!

I'm lucky drought wise here were I live, we're really in a bad situation in general though. Sydney really could be dry in the not to distant future if things dont pick up! Farmers are giving up too. But as G says, bushfires are also natures way of reminding us aussies we're disposable too. Especially the ones that aren't man made.

Comment

What's your hazzard from hell?

> Union City,Tn,is on a faultline too. Much of the outlying area is pretty low,and areas have had to be evacuated temporarily due to flooding. The humidity levels during the hot parts of the summer are almost incomprehensible,on top of being hot as shit. You can't find a body of water big enough to swim in anywhere that isn't inhabited like ponds or creeks that aren't snake-infested between April and October,making it even dangerous for people to mow around ponds and stuff in their own yards. Of the 4 major types of poisonous snakes in America,we have 3,only the coral snake isn't readily available. Rural Tennessee is also,other than a major metropolis,the meth capital of the world. Tommy D.
        "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
          hurricanes here.
          +1

Comment

Originally posted by nateb View Post
            Shit... I will take earthquakes anyday over the shit you guys have to put up with in the midwest. Fuck hurricanes
            I'll take hurricanes over earthquakes any time, at least we have some advance warning and can either prepare or get the hell out of town!

Comment

when i lived in the seattle area we had an earthquake. earthquakes are NOT cool
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by dmtnt View Post
                I'll take hurricanes over earthquakes any time, at least we have some advance warning and can either prepare or get the hell out of town!
                Hell yeah, I was on four stories of scaffolding when the Whittier quake 5.9 hit So Cal. luckily I jumped into the building before I got tossed off. Hurricanes are bad, but you can prepare for em, we are currently excavating for a large storm shelter at my buddies cabin 30'x30', w/ poured concrete walls, generator (outside), beer fridge, and a john, what else ya need?
                I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Tornado's. We gets some storms with shearing winds hitting 80mph too.. but the tornado's are predictably unpredictable... they can drop down out of a storm, wipe out a few blocks and the next neighborhood remains untouched.
                  Last edited by charvelguy; 03-21-2007, 09:10 AM.

Comment

cyclones on the west coast of aust,flooding in my neck of the woods
                    my kids go without food so i can collect guitars

Comment

I live right on the other side of a barrier island separating the Atlantic Ocean from my house.

If a tsunami hit, its going right across that island and into my living room.
                      Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Not really natural disasters, but Boone Dam and its' power plant are about 1 mile from my house, they have been threatened as a target for bombings in the past. Oakridge Nuclear Plant and Holson Defense Army ammunition plant are also close by. Right after 9-11 these places were all at risk. Other than that, Tennessee Eastman Chemical Co. spilling acid rain all over the region is a pretty big hazard. Our cancer rate here is through the roof. One of the highest in the country, and everyone has always pointed the finger at Eastman/Kodak.

Comment

OK guys... just to put things in perspective for you. Compare the amount of housing and lives that is lost due to earthquakes in California vs. hurricains / tornadoes in "The Alley". How many times has that region been claimed a disaster by the federal government? Most earthquakes are absolutely nothing and wouldn't wake you out of a sleep. Rarely will you get one that actually causes a houseplant to fall.

Hell, I got the San Andreas Fault, Loma Prieta ,Monte Vista Fault, South Hayward Fault, Northern Calaveras Fault, Silver Creek Fault, Central Calaveras Fault all near by. This place has got a bullseye on it and it really isn't bad at all.

-Nate
                          Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

I live in fear of the Fembot twinkie factory breaking down over here. That would really suck.
                            Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Working...
                            X