Old School gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by El_Kabong
    You may also want a Commodore 64. The chopper rescue game in the caves wasted away many 8th grade dinner times.
    Was that Choplifter? I still have my old Colecovision, AND my old Head To Head Football game. Anyone remember that one?

Comment

head to head football yeah i remember that...try these i still have...merlin, split second and a mattel electronics battlestar galactica hand held...might have s imon stuffed away somewhere too...not sure...lol...d.m.
      http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

I had Pong when it first came out. Then I had an original Atari, which I thought was like science fiction when I got it. I had tons of the head to head games...hockey, football, etc. I then moved to computers for better gaming..I had an Apple IIE, then into PCs. I bought a SEGA Genesis after college and wasted away many a day with that bruiser......

My son has an X-Box now, and I am fully capable of blowing away an entire day on that sucker as well.....

Talk about addictive.

I remember when a freind got one of the first Atari computers and we were so blown away by the fact that Mrs. PacMan was EXACTLY like the arcade version!! Wow!!

Mike
        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Funny, I saw the thread title and the first thing I thought of was D&D as well...

Oh well, guess it shows my age

Comment

I also loved D&D, and all of the D&D style computer games as well..like the Diablo series.

Anyone ever play the WWI flying ace game similar to D&D? It was called Dawn Patrol.

Mike
            Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Originally posted by superduty01
              Was that Choplifter? I still have my old Colecovision, AND my old Head To Head Football game. Anyone remember that one?
              No, it was called Fort Apocolypse.

You guys are wasting money buying old hardware. Have you tried the emulators? The C64 one works awesome (I think) and you can download the games with ease.

I've seen (websites or mags - can't remember) where you can take a PC and monitor and turn it into a full on gaming station. They have emulators for coin-op stuff (Defender) but I haven't been into this stuff for a while.

D&D? Just look up on ebay - plenty of old school stuff. The original stuff was really well written/artwork (Gary Gygax sp?) and is somewhat collectable. Computers just make D&D role playing a lot easier. One of the only PC Games I ever spent money on (sorry, but I am just NOT a gamer, my son is) is the Elder Scroll series (Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, and now Oblivion). I need a new video card before I can deal with Oblivion however (I'm still using 8500s LOL!).

Comment

Hey RalphE. I'm with you I was gonna jump in here thinking I was gonna talk to a bunch of closet geeks like myself:ROTF: I'm still a big D&D fan even at 35.
                According To The Prophecy

Comment

I would NEVER EVER leave my house if I did that I got hooked on one computer game (Diablo II), so if I ever got hold of the old NES and Atari games, it's over! Now I'm looking at an XBox360 and Wii. I might dissapear for a long time when that's released, so someone's gotta come and drag me outta my house :ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by Drake S.
                    Hey RalphE. I'm with you I was gonna jump in here thinking I was gonna talk to a bunch of closet geeks like myself:ROTF: I'm still a big D&D fan even at 35.
                    we used to play D&D all the time growing up, i still have some of my stuff somewhere,,,i still have a colecovision w/ the atari adapter and a box full of games in the closet, i have the ADAM computer by coleco in the box at the folks house in the attic somewhere too
                    MOSH ON
                    DAVE
                    "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

I used to play AD&D all the time too. Still got some of my stuff like dice and character sheets, but sold all my books years ago. Had TONS too.

I think emulators are the way to go. I am expecting a DVD in the mail from a buddy that has every Atari 2600, 5200, Intellivision, Colecovision, Nintendo, N64 and Sega Genesis title EVER on it! That's gonna fucking RULE! I had an Atari 2600 and a Colecovision when I was a kid. My dad still has the Atari and plays chess on it out at the lake.
                      THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Old nintendo rules! My fiance is going to bring her NES that she did not know she had until a bit ago to our new house. It works perfectly and she has some sweet games.

I am still debating whether or not to box up my SNES and Genesis and bring all the games with me. I have a ton of them and I only play a few. Mostly the rpg's. I would sure hate to part with some of my Final Fantasy games but I honestly never play them anymore.

Good luck with your idea though!
                        Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
                        The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

I've got quite the amount of books. I've got the essentails for every edition (Pplayer hand book, Dungeon masters guide, Monster Manual (or in the case of 1st edition, a boat load of monster manuals). Then I've got basically all of the brown/red book series for 2nd edition (the class books and race books) then I've got the blue/bluegrey books for arms and equipment, dungeons and catacombs shit like that. Then I've got all of the 2nd edition players option books (Spells and power, high level campaigning, shit like that) and the dungeon masters options books. I've got Ravenloft, Forgotten Realms, Planescape, and dragon lance settings for 2nd edition, Forgotten Realms for 1st, and also 3rd edition. I've got the main gamut of source books for 3rd edition forgotten realms, and also the revised 3.5 edition core books.

I've got loads of character sheets (I photo copied a boat load back when I bought the 3rd edition books). Then I've got a stack of repeat books probably about 2 feet high. I've got like multiple players handbooks in each edition save the first edition.

Also my 1st edition books mainly have the 1st art work (the DMG with the devil dude holding the lady and he's all red with a sword and shit, not the gay one with the fag at the doors).

I've got 2 Plano Tackle boxes full of dice. All different types, but mainly the marbled ones. I also have another bag of dice that probably has another lb or two.

Even though I don't get to play DnD at like all, I still love to buy books occasionaly. I'll drop by the hobby shop and buy 2 or 3 books. They've gone up in price considerably though. The forgotten realms campaign book I bought was 40$ god damned dollars. Then to get the PHB DMG and MM it was like 100. I remember when the PHB was 20, the DMG was 18 and the MM was 25.

Sorry to rant, I loved playing DnD and always held out hope we would play again some day if I kept buying books. Some of the best times I've ever had were before the 2nd edition books they had these box sets one was red, another was blue, I think there was a black and a white one. They had some small pre made dungeons, and character selection was limited. We had some damn good times playing those.

Comment

I'm getting ready to do something similar with setting up a gaming area. I have hundreds of roms for nes, snes, sega, etc. Roms are widely available, save money, space, etc. The downside is that some have glitches and your computer can crash in the middle of playing. Microsoft honestly should not curse the most sacred of all games, Zelda and Metroid, with me worrying about 'errors'! That's why I also have the original consoles for nes, snes, gameboy advance, genesis, gamecube, ps1/ps2. Its more convenient and natural. It can be fun to seek out old games but the rare ones are pretty expensive these days. You can pick up used monitors cheaply so if you really wanted to and had the space, you could have a multiple console counter and rom station with more than one monitor - your own video game nasa command center!

Scott
                            Looking for un-molested slant fretboard early USA & Pro Warriors!

Comment

I just got a vintage 6 switch Atari 2600 "Woody" in the box with 18 games. Only thing, at the time, is I didn't have a TV to test it. Well, today, I bought a very vintage Magnavox 13in color TV for $5.00. It's beautiful.:ROTF: It all works and the color is spectacular. I'm hooked.
                              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Soap View Post
                                Old school?
                                Pong, remember that?
                                No colored graphics, just black and white only, played for hours upon end.
                                Just hitting the ball back and forth over and over.
                                Too much fun.
                                A few years after that the arcade madness exploded.
                                Tokens? Put a dollar in the token machine and get 6 tokens.
                                Then eventually, came atari, sega, nes and the rest is history.
                                Now that's old school... Nice to know there are others around as..a.. experianced as I am

Comment

Working...
                                X