Old School gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old School gaming

So I want to start up a collection of older game systems. As of now, I'm gonna be getting a Playstation and a Sega Saturn and I currently own a Dreamcast (I still love playing it.) I don't know what to get next. I have a chance of getting a Atari 2600 with 70 games. I was thinking about getting Sega Gen. and SNES and NES, but I have every single ROM on my computer so I don't know if I should go for those. I'm sure you game buffs know about older stuff like Coleco and such
    : - p

My plan is when I move out on my own is to turn the basement into a gaming zone/ music studio.

Anyone have any leads on some systems or anyone here have something similar?

Look for Colecovision or Intellivision. Intellivision was awesome.

Comment

As far as the old stuff goes it's fairly easy to find all of the 2600, 5200, 7800, Colecovision, Intellivision, etc. ROMs on the 'net so you may not want to bother. The 5200 probably had the most faithful home versions of arcade games of that era though the controllers absolutely suck to the point that they ruin most of the games. The Colecovision is very good (and the Super Action Controllers / Driving Controller / Roller Controller are cool if you can find them) but the gameplay tends to be a little on the slow side. The best gameplay on the older systems was probably on the 2600 though it's the worst of the lot in terms of graphics, sound & complexity. The Atari 400/800 home computers are cool systems that are often overlooked. There are a ton of cart-based games for them, the standard 2600 controllers work with them, and the games have the same graphics & sound as the 5200.
      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I remember playing "Smurfs" on Colecovision when I was a kid...

Was Zaxxon on the Colecovision platform as well? Or was that an Intellivision game?
        Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

When I think of old school gaming, I think Dungeons and Dragons. Even if I don't play, I still pick up books every once in awhile.

Comment

Zaxon was on Coleco Vision woohooo! 3D graphics, followed by Congo Bongo. Time Pilot was awesome on the system. Turbo, with the controoler on a TV table was the shit as well.

I never liked the Intellevison controller and the flimsy cards that had to be slid into the controller.

You may also want a Commodore 64. The chopper rescue game in the caves wasted away many 8th grade dinner times.

There was also another stand alone game that looked like a tiny full size arcade game that took cartridges. The only downside was that it was B&W.

Comment

Sega Master System.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Just get yourself a modded Xbox with all the emulators. You can play all the old stuff, for free, with great controllers. I have an emulator for every single game console and computer ever made upto PS1.

Comment

Old school?
                  Pong, remember that?
                  No colored graphics, just black and white only, played for hours upon end.
                  Just hitting the ball back and forth over and over.
                  Too much fun.
                  A few years after that the arcade madness exploded.
                  Tokens? Put a dollar in the token machine and get 6 tokens.
                  Then eventually, came atari, sega, nes and the rest is history.
                  Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

No one else for D&D? I have so many books for this, even though I've not played in years. Hell like I said, I buy new ones every once in awhile to stay caught up! haha

Comment

Commodore Amiga CD32. Nintendo 64 with Goldeneye is a must.
                      www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

I'm perfectly happy with just NES, SNES, N64 stuff. Though I prefer StarCraft to most any console games

Comment

i had a cool collection at one time...i still have a few atari 2600 joysticks and a few common games...i think i sold all my systems tho...d.m.
                          http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

I have a Sega Genesis just sitting on a shelf in my closet. I've probably played it less than 12 hours. I bought an Xbox system a few years ago, and guess what, hardly play that either. I buy the stuff thinking, WOW, this is going to be pretty cool and then I get bored and go back to my guitars!

Alvin
                            MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Originally posted by Deneb
                              No one else for D&D? I have so many books for this, even though I've not played in years. Hell like I said, I buy new ones every once in awhile to stay caught up! haha
                              I used to play D&D all the time. I didn't know they still sold the books. I remember they had cool artwork in some of them. I like the older games myself. I still have a SNES and Playstation1 that I fire up from time to time. I also have an XBOX, but I like the SNES the best.

Comment

Working...
                              X