Can snob opinions wanted Mercede vs. BMW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shmoovy shmooooove!

my mother used to drive a shit brown tempo. the muffler fell off so my sister dubbed it the brown rocket.

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
    Look how majestic my '93 Ford Tempo looks upon a sun kissed horizon.

1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
      Yeeeeeeah, my Jag still lifts my skirt after 7 years
      Yeah, I still admire my car as I walk up to it or walk way from it. I've never owned a car that I've enjoyed looking at as much as I do driving it after owning it for more than a year. It's the longest extended honeymoon I've ever had with a car.

I've wanted one from the day I went round the plant at Coventry for the launch back in 96.
      Oh fuck you. I remember all the press about the XK8 when it first came out... it was my dream car. I would die to go to the Coventry plant and watch them build.

Oh, don't buy an Aston, they are SHIT.
      They're gorgeous cars... amazingly beautiful and fast. However, even Top Gear did a comparison between the newer XKR and the Vantage. They said the Aston was more luxurious, had more impressive specs, but on the track, the Aston could not pull away from the XKR at all and that he'd take the Jaguar over it.

The XKR pre 2007 MY, does not come with a LSD. The reason? Because that was an upgrade they wanted for the Aston, and if you give an XKR a LSD, there's a little difference in accelleration, speed and handling and the LSD gives the Jag the same high speed handling benefits that you would get from buying an Aston.

This is a great video to watch...

Last edited by xenophobe; 09-26-2012, 06:07 PM.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzsaww View Post
        shmoovy shmooooove!

my mother used to drive a shit brown tempo. the muffler fell off so my sister dubbed it the brown rocket.
        Oh my.. My son is beating the shit outta this old horse. It's blue. like his balls. So, the is the Blue Ball Skeetmoble..

He bashed the rear end, and it has a gas leak. I want to keep the gas leak flowing like the BP spill..to deter his friends from blazin' blunts in it. Otherwise It will be the Baby Blue Blazin Blunt Bomb!!!
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
          Oh fuck you. I remember all the press about the XK8 when it first came out... it was my dream car. I would die to go to the Coventry plant and watch them build.
          Ha ha, I go to all the Jag launches and Employee Days, I live near Coventry, lots of people I know work at the Jag (although Browns Lane is now gone). My mate works in the design team, (think the high level brake light on the XK and XJ is his work) when I went round Whitley, there were dozens of XKs out the back, ex test cars, waiting to be turned into cubes of metal. Heartbreaking!

Some of the stuff they have in development is incredible, like the heads up night vision display windscreen thingy. Living where I do, I regularly spot development cars, Jags and Land Rovers, all heavily camoflaged and padded, zipping down the country roads to Gaydon.

I recall the time I first saw the XK8 in the flesh, literally the day after it had been unveiled at Geneva, hammering up behind me on the Fosse Way, an old Roman road. I nearly came in my pants as it passed! Shortly afterwards, I persuaded a client with loads of cash (the same guy who later bought the shitty DB7GT) that he really ought to buy an XK. It was a bit tortuous, being so close to one, but not having it myself, but he used to let me take it out for a blast now and again.

Then, one day, my mate in the design team called and said, "I have the new Supercharged XK for the afternoon..." I think the phrase he used was "You floor it and it reels in the horizon". He was spot on. I might have left DNA all over the seat.

Fucking hell, I've worked myself up into a froth...
          So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Haha, fuck me sideways.

Well that's cool that you live so close to them. I know they're not as hand-built as an Aston, but they're really not that far behind. Highly skilled English workers making a product they love. And I think you can feel that in a product when you purchase it. Just like with really nice handcrafted guitars made in old school workshops that just seem more soulful than a mass produced sterile assembly line.

And yeah, it was in 1995 when I saw the first news reports of Jaguar finally reintroducing a modern GT car inspired by the old E-types. That was my instant dream car.

If you look at one of the 96-06 models, you can't really tell the body style is 4 years short of being considered a "classic". They're really timeless. With my 97 XK8, people would ask what year it was, and when I told them they would be absolutely floored, because they thought it was brand new, not 15 years old. You can't do that with a Mercedes of BMW.

Timeless beauty...

Comment

Even my 1978 Series 2 XJ6 puts a smile on my face when I get in it...

...and that was built when Jag was part of British Leyland, not their finest hour!

BTW, a bloke down the road has a lathe in his shed and makes gear knobs for Aston. No big company, no million pound precision computer controlled machinery, just some geezer in his shed with an old lathe and a bucket full of lumps of walnut. I seem to think he's either retired or has a day job, he does it almost as a hobby!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                Even my 1978 Series 2 XJ6 puts a smile on my face when I get in it...

...and that was built when Jag was part of British Leyland, not their finest hour!
                Love it. I love the grille and headlights. So unique and classy!

BTW, a bloke down the road has a lathe in his shed and makes gear knobs for Aston. No big company, no million pound precision computer controlled machinery, just some geezer in his shed with an old lathe and a bucket full of lumps of walnut. I seem to think he's either retired or has a day job, he does it almost as a hobby!
                That's fucking awesome

I gotta respect a company that still works like that. I'd love to hear that guy's story.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                  I gotta respect a company that still works like that. I'd love to hear that guy's story.
                  Yeah, go interview him, RS. Er, try not to pop one of those knobs up yer bunghole, though!
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                    Yeah, go interview him, RS. Er, try not to pop one of those knobs up yer bunghole, though!
                    Hahaha!

"I was walking past the bench and I fell right on it. Honest!"
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                      Those old guys have some neat stories, but they can also be pretty odd...

I was working construction once, and my helper told me while we went to sit at their table because they offered us food for working so hard and so long (residential remodeling) that the reason he was giving me surprised faces for about an hour was because grandpa kept putting his hand on my helper's knee. I did not know this until after we left. That was priceless.

Comment

I kiss my dad in public. I love him..he's my dad. I don't use my tongue or nuthin'.

I hold my dad ever so tightly on back of his Harley..I don't wanna fall off. I think people think we're cute. I have to yell at every light to all the cars.."He's my dad!!".
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                          I kiss my dad in public. I love him..he's my dad. I don't use my tongue or nuthin'.

I hold my dad ever so tightly on back of his Harley..I don't wanna fall off. I think people think we're cute. I have to yell at every light to all the cars.."He's my dad!!".

Fucking hell, that's classic!

I'll go and see the old bloke later, he has an old 1963 Mk10 Jaguar in his garage, IIRC, that always gives me wood. I used to work with his son, so I should be able to find out how he got the Aston gig.

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Here is an article on the new F type for you Jag heads...

http://www.gizmag.com/jaguar-f-type-revealed/24306/
                            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                              Here is an article on the new F type for you Jag heads...

http://www.gizmag.com/jaguar-f-type-revealed/24306/
                              Yeah, I been eyeing those out since the experimental camo pics came out. 495hp in a 3500lb car. Those are gonna be quick.

My XKR in comparison is about 410-420ish hp (I have high flow cats and an upgraded exhaust)... though I'm thinking of going twin screw to push me somewhere between 550-600 hp.

Comment

Working...
                              X