Can snob opinions wanted Mercede vs. BMW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can snob opinions wanted Mercede vs. BMW

Trying to decide between late 90's (95 to 99) Mercedes S-Class or BMW 540/740 series. I'm leaning toward the S320. Any members have any experience with either? Thanks!
    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Why such an old car? If you say it's because you can't afford a new one, then you're not going to be able afford an old one either. Maintenance and upkeep is so goddamn expensive.

Comment

95-99 BMW's 540's are a money pit the electrical systems aren't very good, fix one thing then something else quits working.
      I had a 740 and it was a very uncomfortable car not much leg room and I'm 5'7". Always had trouble with the power seats.
      My ex had a c class Mercedes and it wasn't a bad car just too expensive to maintain at the dealer.Moon roof leaked all the time.
      If you can find an Acura TL in good shape that is a good buy.
      I had a 96 Acura 2.5 TL inline 5 cyl and it was a fantastic car.When I sold it it had 260k on it and was still a great car.
      I see it around town so I know its still running.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

My friend has a late 90's 7 series BMW. Electrical problems out the wazoo.

Oddly, my Jaguar has been relatively maintenance free, but it's an '05 and by this time Jaguar had all the issues worked out and were actually one of the most reliable cars for those years. It has also been cheaper than the two Toyota minivans that my friend's sister and parents both own, as well as another Dodge mini-van they used to own.

I'd say get something different. BMW's and Mercedes are ticky tacky cars now. Every suburban sports mom owns one or the other...

Don't let people tell you a specific brand is any more expensive than the other. All cars are fuel injected computerized lumps of metal and plastic. They're all expensive to maintain these days.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I like galvanized cans, since they don't rust (see subject)

Comment

I was recently looking at 2010-2011 Mercedes e class and BMW 5 series. Both are nice looking and drive well. The BMWs felt a little more stiff and sporty. The S class was very nice and huge. My friend is a 12 year Mercedes mechanic. He said buy an S class if you are loaded with cash because parts are $$$. He said the newer E class is solid. But do the exact maintenance when required. Don't skimp. I read BMW and Mercedes forums too. The agreements? It's a styling issue. Which do you lie more? Some years migh have a specific problem. There wasn't a Kahler vs Floyd debate. More of a Marshall vs. Mesa debate love and appreciation for both. I used to own a 99 VW Passat V6. Great car but parts were expensive and so was service. I don't have time to self service a car. I bought parts va group buys and felt like my car was homework. I will do homework on guitar gear and parts because I'm looking for something cool. Not because a store is raping me on costs.

After much agonizing I said screw both. I was gonna buy used and if I'm gonna spend $37+k on a used car I need to love it. And I didn't love either. I think they both got bland and like Xeno says they are commonplace. They are no longer a San Dimas. They are LTD and Fender. I didn't want more homework and $100 oil changes. My mechanic was even going to hook a brotha up from time to time but it all felt like too much work.

I did something completely different and got a new Toyota FJ Cruiser. I looked at the Jaguar XF but it seemed to have too many problems. Beautiful car though.

Comment

Then again, I also found a local indy Jag shop. Sure, their hourly rate is a little more. Just for the fact that my awesome mechanic, Don, at Exclusive British European in Campbell knows what he's doing with these cars, I've saved a lot of cash. He knows to order from used parts companies like Jag Heaven which saves a buttload of cash without even asking. When I get my oil changed, all the other fluids are really checked, all my tires are checked for holes and they're plugged for free, I get an accurate description of pad wear in how many mm are left and when he does have to work on it, he covers everything, not like a mechanic but as a true aficionado of the vehicle.

I did have one serious issue, a hydraulic hose started leaking in the header above the windshield. I compared prices others had to pay at indies and Jag dealers, he was on the lower end. I had him install a product improved aftermarket hose which he had never seen before which required half the car interior to be removed and more care to be installed. He finished just under the standard time he quoted. I stopped by unexpectedly during the process to see him carefully placing extra rags on all the surfaces that could be exposed to hydraulic fluid, even though the leak was capped and it was already drained. He also knows exactly what preventative maintenance is needed and suggests it, and he has never tried to do me wrong like charging extra hours or paying full retail for parts.

Just from the area they're in and what kind of vehicles they service (a LOT of Concours d'elegance Jags) you'd think they'd charge top dollar. I've done nothing but save money. My regular maintenance is cheaper than most, and all the used parts I've received looked brand new OEM. If you get a nice car of any make, you really need to find a good, appropriate, independent shop. They'll save you a lot of money.

Comment

My boss bought a BMW 7 series back in early 90's, V12 engine, paid over $100k. Hardly drove it and went to trade it in on a newer one. They offered him between $30k and $40k. He told them he'd burn it first and never went near them for another car. He could never get it to pass emissions inspection because he didn't put enough miles on it. One expensive headache that he never really enjoyed driving. His brother went the Lexus route but too boring, tried Audi but it wouldn't start a couple of times had to be towed. He now has a Jag and seems to be happy with it.
                Last edited by Kempo Bulldog; 09-08-2012, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Cosmetically I LOVE the 90's BMW's (especially the 3-series wagons) but once a BMW hits 100k on the odo it just seems to go to shit

Comment

Lexus man here. Love it, and no breakdown anxiety.
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

i'd have to go with galvanized too. nothing quite like finding that hidden mint barn gem, LOL

I had my eye on an XJR but did some reading about Jags and it seemed to be tons of complaints of mechanical issues. Along the lines of "It's awesome! When it's not in the shop..." sort of thing. Scared me away. The only Jag driving experience I have is test driving a couple of Vanden Plas and the tranny quit in the first one during the test. Limp mode back to the dealer.

Acura TL is in the back of my mind but I have not seen any the don't have a quarter million miles on them. Which does say something about reliability.

What kind of Lexus are you driving?
                      1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

LS400:

Attached Files
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                          Lexus man here. Love it, and no breakdown anxiety.
                          I have to agree with RacerX . Best customer service I have ever dealt with and reliable as hell.

Comment

I've never owned a car that I love as much as this one... and I've owned a lot of cars...

Comment

For reliability Honda/ Acura are hard to beat Toyota and Lexus too.
                              I have an 04 Nissan Xterra and its been great bought it near new and its got 159k on it and all I have done is change the oil every 4000 miles, front brakes once rear brakes are still great.
                              No issues to date and runs like a dream but I am a stickler for proper maintenance so the fluids get serviced regularly.
                              Hauls 2 4X12 cabs and tons of gear.
                              Last edited by straycat; 09-09-2012, 12:10 AM.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X