No announcement yet.

Dave Mustaine: "God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But honestly I'd like to know how many preferred very early Megadeth to early Metallica? Let's take the first half of the 80's. Metallica had made two albums, Megadeth one. All the first thrash albums sounded very punk-y but "Kill 'em All" sounded much tighter than the rest, specially if you compare it to Slayer's first releases. Megadeth's debut came out in '85 which had cool ideas but overall wasn't that great and didn't have much impact specially if you consider that Metallica released "Ride the Lighting" a year before and which didn't sound like a typical thrash metal album at all but something way more progressive and with much updated sound.

Metallica guys were some of the biggest innovators in metal when it came to sound and overall approach both live and in the studio. Thanks to their live sound guy, a hippie dude who still works with them today, they developed a massive sounding live mix, the first time when heavy music actually had really loud in your face kick drums etc. Everyone still tries to emulate their Justice tour live sound, even pop rock live mix engineers.

Metallica's debut which was made two years before the Megadeth's, sounds better, Metallica sounded more like an unit while Megadeth was pretty loose, Dave's rhythm hand wasn't even close to James', and even though Megadeth had a great drummer the band just wasn't very tight, Junior's bass was often all over the place. Metallica had the ability to make songs sound really good, the arrangements were great while Megadeth tunes often sounded like a bunch of ideas just thrown in together.

A good comparison is a tune that Mustaine wrote, "Four Horsemen"/"Mechanix". Metallica's two years older recording just sounds much better, the parts are played in better, the arrangements are better, the slower tempo made the tune heavier etc. Even Kirk's solo sounds better, even though Dave is a better guitarist. Funny, I think on KEA Kirk had his best lead tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZvXqDwwBy4

Now Megadeth made a truly great album in '86, "Peace Sells..." but was overshadowed by so called the magnum opus of metal, "Master of Puppets" which set the standard in metal songwriting wise and of course Slayer's "Reign of Blood" which set the standard on how extreme metal bands are going to sound (and not only, even more trendier modern bands like Slipknot have their sound copied from Reign of Blood).

I believe that some folks never dug early Metallica but I don't believe there's many folks who preferred early Megadeth over early Metallica back in the day. After "Peace Sells..." I believe the "strictly Megadeth camp" grew but when it comes down to it the overwhelming majority is all about comparing the 90's/Marty-era Megadeth to Metallica.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

• Originally posted by Endrik View Post
      and of course Slayer's "Reign of Blood" which set the standard on how extreme metal bands are going to sound
      Like Crap?
      sigpic
      Action Jackson

Comment

• Originally posted by Nimitz View Post
        Like Crap?
        yup, wether we like it or not.

No one copies MOP's production. But interestingly enough AJFA is copied, an album that sounded like crap, no bass and tiny drum sound (close mics upfront while usually Metallica has always been about big room sounds). But AJFA tour live recordings sound huge.

Slayer has grown on me though, never was a fan, thought that most of their stuff sounded like shit, I still think that all the really fast stuff on their old albums sounds messy.
        Last edited by Endrik; 10-02-2011, 12:44 PM.
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

• See i was one of those who liked Killing is my Business a lot, yeah it sounded garage,
          but i liked the intensity and in a way i just thought it was a prequel to something coming from them that was going to be huge. I probably listened to Garage Days more than MOP, in fact i know i did. For some reason MOP never really stuck with me that much, it's a great album a classic, but it just didn't stick with me much. I did like punk stuff and crossover stuff too.
          I listened to Reign in Blood, Killing is my Business, Exodus Bonded by Blood, Voi Vod and SOD - not to mention Anthrax Spreading the Disease a little more more than Metallica at that time. Also the first i heard Metallica was with Dave Mustaine on the first Metal Blade compilation, and that sounded more like Killing is my Business than Kill em All. I think Metallica just got the right guy to mix their album, probably had some money backing ect. Otherwise if you listen to their demos that's probably more of what they would have sounded like. Megadeth probably recorded that first album with a lot less money and takes.
          Dave wrote or helped write some of my favorite songs on Kill Em All, and Ron Macgovney (sp) wrote Whiplash, so that leaves like Seek And Destroy as basically James and Lars' main song on the album. Some of Daves stuff is even on Ride the Lightning.
          Beyond that Peace Sells at the time when that came out, my circle of friends being kids and all, we were like "This is better than anything Metallica has done!"
          But it's all good, all that stuff is classic and all great.
          Reign in Blood owns them all, and is the standard period when even Metallica plays those riffs homage live.
          Last edited by Trem; 10-02-2011, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• KEA was a much smaller production than Killing is My Business. KEA was made in the East Coast by enthusiast. Killing is My Business was recorded in the legendary Indigo Ranch studio. The main reason why a mix either sounds good or bad is actually the arrangement of the song. Lars and James were always good at that. Dave wasn't when he made his first one, few are. + Metallica had Cliff who didn't wrote that much but had huge impact on the overall sound and arrangements.

Comment

• First time I heard Metallica, I was already listening to Iron Maiden, Gary Moore, Judas Priest, Yngwie Malmsteen, amongst others. Nothing they were doing particularly impressed me. They were certainly heavier than I was used to, but for arrangements & epic overly long songs, Maiden had them beat. All the fanboys telling me that Hamster was the greatest guitarist on the planet, I couldn't believe they wouldn't even take the time to listen to what Gary Moore & Yngyang were doing. Could Kirk play anything as cool as the Soldier Without Faith solo on Marching Out or Gary's Shapes of Things solo?

Megadeth, I had read about in Hit Parader but hadn't actually heard until around Peace Sells / So Far So Good. Straight away I knew I liked them better than anything I'd heard from Metallica. In the end, I have owned a bunch of 'Deth albums & cassingles on tape, bought many on CD. Had one taped copy of Master of Puppets which I would listen to but tune out during because none of the songs did much for me (didn't mind Battery though), and a burnt copy of Death Magnetic because a friend insisted that even though I'm not a fan, this album would turn me into one. Had it in the car stereo for a fortnight to let it sink in, gave the disc back to him, can't remember a single song off it. I believe the tape of MOP may be in a pile of unlistened-to cassettes somewhere around my house.

The new Anthrax album, is in the mix in the 6-disc changer in my new car, can sing along with a bunch of tracks. What does this tell me? After 20-something years, Metallica's 'return to form' strikes me as dull and forgettable, just as MOP did way back when. Not to say that it is bad, but just not for me.

Although it could be that I've just made all of that up and am just a former fan and present-day bandwagon jumper. Since everybody on the planet agrees that Metallica is the greatest band ever.
              Hail yesterday

Comment

• Oh look, another Metallica vs Megadeth conversation...

I like Metallica. I just don't like them as much as I love Megadeth.

As far as Dave Mustaine saying all sorts of shit over the years. I just find it funny. He didn't give a fuck, and I certainly don't. People need to learn to take stuff to a lower level. TV, mags, the internet... They strive to stir shit up and always have made things look/sound worse than they actually were. It's entertainment, shit stew has and forever will interest people...
                I <3 DR Strings.

2007 Jackson KV2
                2006 Schecter C1 Blackjack
                Randall RG75G2
                Line 6 PODxt

Comment

• Originally posted by KingVee View Post
                  Oh look, another Metallica vs Megadeth conversation...

I like Metallica. I just don't like them as much as I love Megadeth.

As far as Dave Mustaine saying all sorts of shit over the years. I just find it funny. He didn't give a fuck, and I certainly don't. People need to learn to take stuff to a lower level. TV, mags, the internet... They strive to stir shit up and always have made things look/sound worse than they actually were. It's entertainment, shit stew has and forever will interest people...
                  Hey, most of us know that Dave is as big attention whore as Brett Michaels

Comment

• Originally posted by Trem View Post
                    Also the first i heard Metallica was with Dave Mustaine on the first Metal Blade compilation, and that sounded more like Killing is my Business than Kill em All.
                    You're talking about "Hit The Lights", and it was local guitarist Lloyd Grant that did the solo work on that track.

Lloyd & I:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	107-0787_IMG.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	2445639
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

• Yep Hit the Lights and no i never knew it was another guy than Mustaine. Wow, that's weird, always knew it as that it was Dave, sounds like him. The backing vocals sound like him on it too. What a trip.

Comment

• Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                        Medusa & I:
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]2767[/ATTACH]
                        fixed
                        "POOP"

Comment

• Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                          You're talking about "Hit The Lights", and it was local guitarist Lloyd Grant that did the solo work on that track.

Lloyd & I:
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]2767[/ATTACH]
                          Ron is there anyone you DONT have your picture with???

I mean you have your picture with OGER!!! BEFORE he was doing the Capitol one commercials, back when he resided in the "where are they now?" file with Spinal Tap.
                          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

• Is there a picture of Ron with Ed Roman?
                            It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                            ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

• Originally posted by Devotee View Post
                              Is there a picture of Ron with Ed Roman?
                              Just his Foot!
                              "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

• Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                                Ron is there anyone you DONT have your picture with???

Ooh, that gives a great idea for a new (attention whore) thread!
                                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                                X