DIRTY RAT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DIRTY RAT

While just letting an auction run it's course and win it by being the high bidder may be the honorable thing to do it doesn't always work out as expected as I have learned from experience. I had an axe I wanted badly and was the high bidder with the reserve met the entire time. The seller closed the auction without even emailing me they were doing so. Nobody even tried to outbid me prior to it's close either. I was pissed to say the least. But instead of crying over a missed oppurtunity I decided to have a different plan of attack if I saw something I really wanted again.

Since I'm obviously open to having a guitar back doored I email the seller ahead of time to let him know I really want the guitar and will try to better any offers they are made. I got one guitar that way. I was the high bidder the whole time. But he did ended up closing the auction early for me because he was getting so many offers that it was blowing his mind. I told him my proxy and he split the difference between the best back door offer he got and my proxy. I would have been more than willing to let the auction run its course but after learning the hard way in the past I wanted my bases covered.

I still consider it a back door auction since he closed it early for me. But if I hadn't emailed him about that in the first place that would have been another guitar I really wanted that I missed out on. Is that wrong? I know it's not exactly the same as what happened with this auction but I also don't think everyone should look down upon auctions that are closed early because the seller choose to do so. Even eBay says a seller has the right to close an auction and sell to the highest bidder if they wish.

Kevin is right there is no brotherhood though. I do think there are good relations between the JCF members but how do you determine who gets what guitar out of a group of 2000+ people without feelings being hurt somewhere? Is there supposed to be a pecking order or something? I remember when the whole dibs thing was going on over JCF members bidding eBay auctions against other JCF members. It was just the most ridiculous thing I had ever heard. Calling dibs on a public auction? It almost sounded like people were saying other JCF member were bidding it out of spite. Lets face it we are all interested in the same guitars.

The whole reason I'm mentioning any of this crap is because it is starting a fued between all the members of the board that have different opinions on how a guitar should be acquired. Is it really worth it? Jackson made more than 2000 guitars. There is bound to be another one down the line somewhere for you or the next guy to score. And in the end I think most everyone that does get a nice axe and decides to sell it always offers it up here first. In most cases anyhow.
    We must!
    We must!
    We must increase the bust!
    The bigger the better!
    The tighter the sweater!
    The boys are counting on us!

Comment

What JEM said.
      How do you think we fund this organization? We're not exactly the March of Dimes.

Comment

Well that sux Joe. I didn't read everyone's post all the way through, and might have missed something, but maybe the seller got a later offer from someone who never even knew of your deal, and decided to sell to them. I know I have gotten offers for items even weeks after and auction has ended.

Here is what the rules state reguarding back-door deals and buying direct from sellers.

"eBay Policy
        Soliciting off-site sales is a form of fee avoidance that circumvents the eBay fee structure. It is strictly prohibited.

Examples:
        The following activities using member contact information obtained through eBay are not allowed:
        Using member contact information obtained from eBay or using any eBay feature to offer to sell any listed item outside of eBay. However, it is acceptable for a buyer to email the seller and ask to end the item early at an agreed upon winning price.
        Offering to sell any listed item outside of eBay
        Canceling a listing to sell the item to anyone who contacted the seller through eBay or became aware of the item through eBay
        Ending a listing early to sell the item at a higher price to the winning bidder
        Offering to sell an item outside of eBay to any of your bidders in a Reserve Not Met listing.
        Offering to sell duplicate or additional merchandise outside of eBay to underbidders
        Sending unsolicited (without prior permission) commercial email offers to bidders for the same or similar products that they have bid on in the past. "

Matt

Comment

What I really don't understand in all of this, is why would a seller agree to a back door sale? It's in his best interest to let the auction run it's course to get the best price possible. If the person requesting a back door deal is legitimate, and really wants the guitar, they can bid on it like anyone else. The only benefit to back door deals for the seller would be circumventing the Ebay sellers fees, which seem pretty reasonable IMHO.

Let's say for example, a guy has for sale a San Dimas, but doesn't know what he has. He puts it on Ebay with a low reserve (let's say $150 for arguments sake). No doubt this guy will have a bunch of people asking questions such as: what is the serial number, is it all original, do you have more pics etc.. He's going to clue in pretty quick that he's got a valuable guitar (unless he's a complete moron). So lets say he doesn't get it, and someone emails him an offer to back door it for $500. Sure this guy must be thinking he struck gold, but again I have to ask, why would he end the auction early? Someone please explain this phenomenon to me.
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

It's almost always about avoinding the Ebay fees. I had a seller offer to sell to me a preamp early, because they needed the money quick, but I think this is the exception, more than the rule.

Comment

There's also the fact that people who email with offers seem more serious about following through with the purchase. It sure seems like with eBay bidders, it's a crapshoot as to whether they'll follow through and pay. I put four items up for auction in the past week or so, of those, only two followed through and paid for their winning bids... and I only still had one of those two items because I had attempted to sell it before on eBay only to have the bidder not follow through.

Comment

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] i read the first post on this and say that sucks dude you paypaled the CASH DONE DEAL ! [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] nobody should buy it and TEACH HIS AZZ A LESSON ! let it die on the bay , hahahah , that sucks and the seller suxx and i bet the axe sucks ! bad karma and what he did was WRONG AND NOT LEGIT ! SORRY IF THAT BOTHERS ANYONE [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] ! i read the #1 post only and really every other piont or opinion is MUTE [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] ! end of story the seller is a flake ! my 2 cents , alz [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

And ALZ crosses the finish line to put everything into perspective. What would we do without you? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

This post brought to you by the letters A, L and Z.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Sorry to hear about this Joe. It sucks, big time. Hope you get your guitar, or at least your cash.
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Brett, thanks for posting and being up-front about this. After finding out it was you who emailed Joe I totally retract everything I said in my previous post.
                      Joe, this is between you and the seller now, and regardless of who tried to backdoor your backdoor deal the seller is the one at fault here. But...like I said before...It's time to be an asshole!!!....but, be an asshole to the seller, not to Brett.
                      If you need asshole lessons just call me...I'm a certified asshole and can give you many tips and pointers!!
                      Oh and the swear filters....are they really turned off???? Scuse me but I must test them....
                      WHOEVER THE GODDAMN FUCKING ASSHOLE SELLER WAS THAT OUTRIGHT FUCKED JOE ON THIS SHITASS MOTHERFUCKING DEAL NEEDS TO LET HIM HAVE THE FUCKING GUITAR THAT HE PAID HIS FUCKING CASH FOR!!! ANY FUCKING QUESTIONS???? FUCK YOU!
                      did it work?
                      [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

my mommy always told me I had a real potty mouth....FUCK HER!!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I already did. Tell her I said hi. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] J/K [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

She said to tell you hey Joe. hmmmmm. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

You backdoored everyone who was playing by the e-bay rules and your bitching about someone back dooring your rules. No offense but whats the difference. I'll probably get flamed now as you are popular here but I think it needs to be put out there. I think that the dick that did this shouldn't get any slack but I don't think you were taking the high ground with your backdoor crap. Just my opinion, Dana [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

PS; No I have nothing to do with that auction or guitar.

Comment

Working...
                                X