No announcement yet.

GuitarPartsDepot Shipping Scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a reply to my email yeaterday and sent them a link to this thread. I also told him someone here said his CSR was a member of this board. Kinda surprised we haven't seen a post here.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

If a hex-wrench holder that you mount to a headstock and 2 wrenches to go in it cost more than one First Class stamp and a $3 padded envelope to ship it, and the Post Orifice is doing commercials saying small packages ship for a low flat rate, I can imagine that "low flat rate" is $5 each PLUS the cost of materials (said $3 padded mailer).

Then again, that's why they came up with this "retail markup" concept - you buy it cheap, add a percentage, sell it at cost+markup to make a profit. If you advertise "free shipping", you figure what your flat-rate shipping through the USPS is and add that to your markup. You're still charging for shipping, but you don't have a separate shipping charge on your invoice.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
        Then again, that's why they came up with this "retail markup" concept - you buy it cheap, add a percentage, sell it at cost+markup to make a profit. If you advertise "free shipping", you figure what your flat-rate shipping through the USPS is and add that to your markup. You're still charging for shipping, but you don't have a separate shipping charge on your invoice.
        Right, just be upfront with the actual price of an order and don't add unexpected charges after a person puts an order together...

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
          If a hex-wrench holder that you mount to a headstock and 2 wrenches to go in it cost more than one First Class stamp and a $3 padded envelope to ship it, and the Post Orifice is doing commercials saying small packages ship for a low flat rate, I can imagine that "low flat rate" is $5 each PLUS the cost of materials (said $3 padded mailer).

That's one way to look at it. You can also look at it that "Free shipping on ALMOST everything" tells you upfront that your order may NOT qualify for free shipping, So a hex wrench holder and 2 switches under that scenario I would assume would NOT qualify for the free shipping, it being a really small order and all. The guy is in business to make some money, not as a non-profit. We can't expect these guys to do this as a public service, and if you can't it locally and are also crying about shipping charges, well it's not completely misrepresented. If I buy from zzounds, most stuff is free shipping, but if I buy a 20' cable or something small, I know I'm paying shipping. This situation is sort of misleading, but not so much as to call it a scam. If he said free shipping on EVERYTHING and then tried to charge shipping, you;d have a case. With "almost" everything, not so much,

I wish that the seller had posted to this thread since he knows about it, but I can also understand why he doesn't want to get pulled into an argument. The thread itself has made everyone adequately aware of the fact that he DOES charge shipping.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
            That's one way to look at it. You can also look at it that "Free shipping on ALMOST everything" tells you upfront that your order may NOT qualify for free shipping, So a hex wrench holder and 2 switches under that scenario I would assume would NOT qualify for the free shipping, it being a really small order and all. The guy is in business to make some money, not as a non-profit. We can't expect these guys to do this as a public service, and if you can't it locally and are also crying about shipping charges, well it's not completely misrepresented. If I buy from zzounds, most stuff is free shipping, but if I buy a 20' cable or something small, I know I'm paying shipping. This situation is sort of misleading, but not so much as to call it a scam. If he said free shipping on EVERYTHING and then tried to charge shipping, you;d have a case. With "almost" everything, not so much,

I wish that the seller had posted to this thread since he knows about it, but I can also understand why he doesn't want to get pulled into an argument. The thread itself has made everyone adequately aware of the fact that he DOES charge shipping.
            I'm not surprised that no one from GuitarPartsDepot has posted in this thread. What they're doing is deceptive and indefensible--there's no doubt about it and they still haven't changed the information on their website. Can anyone take your statements seriously when you use absurd phrases like, "not completely misrepresented," and "sort of misleading"--lol? If you're still interested in what the shipping charges were for the items I ordered you should read my op.

Comment

Yeah, I missed that the first time. And I agree that it's sort of misleading, but I also don't think $4.95 shipping is unreasonable for your order, and if you can't go down to the local store and get the parts there, well that's life in the big city. Again, even with a seller that does a lot of free shipping, like zzounds or AMS or MF, you'd be charged the same $4.95 shipping by any of them for a small order like yours. "Almost" is the disclaimer that makes it not quite a scam, which makes your characterization just slightly slanderous. No offense, but in factual terms that's what we have here. You overstated what this is and should take responsibility for making more of it than it is.

A scam involves theft, and there is no theft involved here. Therefore you calling this a scam is a false statement. That's what you need to consider, Trussrod.
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

GuitarPartsDepot is being dishonest and they deserve to called out for it. There's no need to defend a company that's acting in bad faith.

Comment

I wouldnt go as far as dishonest... misleading, yeah.

But to be honest, its not like theyre charging your card after the fact. Its there plain as day, when you go to checkout. You have the choice to accept it or not. Personally, I chose to not accept it, simply on principal alone because I felt mislead, and they lost a $200+ parts order because of it. I let them know over the phone how I felt and suggested they change it. While they didnt change it, they did call me back to offer me free shipping on that order.

A simple solution to the whole problem would be to simply add "free shipping on orders over $xx.xx". That way they wouldnt lose money on small orders, and it will also entice people to buy another item or two to get them to the free shipping price. Everyone wins!
                  Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                    A simple solution to the whole problem would be to simply add "free shipping on orders over $xx.xx". That way they wouldnt lose money on small orders, and it will also entice people to buy another item or two to get them to the free shipping price. Everyone wins!
                    Aw, that makes too much sense!
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
                      GuitarPartsDepot is being dishonest and they deserve to called out for it. There's no need to defend a company that's acting in bad faith.
                      But scam means theft, and they are not stealing. By using that word, YOU were actually dishonest by exaggerating what they're doing. If they sued you for defamation, they might win because of a carelessly chosen word on your part.
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Lerx, were the people at GuitarPartsDepot LYING when they advertised, "Free Shipping on Almost Everything," on their website when in fact they only offer free shipping on pick up orders? Yes or no?

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
                          Lerx, were the people at GuitarPartsDepot LYING when they advertised, "Free Shipping on Almost Everything," on their website when in fact they only offer free shipping on pick up orders? Yes or no?
                          Yes, but lying is not theft. YOU, however, ALSO lied, when you said they were running a scam. YOUR lie constitutes defamation and slander, which are crimes. Theirs was misleading but doesn't rise to that level. Also, where do you get that they ONLY offer free shipping on pickup orders? Did they tell you that or did anyone else, or did you just come up with that yourself?
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Trussrod, if you had titled your thread "Misleading Claim to Free Shipping Offers" and gone based on that, you'd be fine. You used the wrong word though, and what they are doing is NOT a scam - so you're wrong. The difference between misleading wording and theft is pretty strong, and you are not copping to your own part in exaggerating and misleading what it is they have done. You did exactly what you're accusing them of - exaggerating and misleading. Think I'm wrong? Call the cops and see what they tell you.
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

It's obvious you have a poor understanding of the law. I can't take you seriously.

Fixed...
                              Last edited by Trussrod; 05-05-2011, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
                                Think I'm wrong? Call the cops and see what they tell you.
                                Yo Rich, I think the cops would be a bit too busy to worry about a minor "internet tiff"

I wish I had more time to write up a humorous convo:

PD: Police Dept
                                Lerx: Yes, I'd like to report a defamation
                                PD: A what, sir? Where did the crime occur?
                                Lerx: On the internet...
                                PD: <click>
                                PD:
                                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                                X