picks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TommyD View Post
    > I get these picks from Everly Music that are the exact same as Dunlop Tortex,but have a star shaped hole in them for grip.

I used to know a local guy that used little pieces of glue-backed 400 sandpaper on his Fender heavies. Tommy D.
    They're called Star Picks, I have a few but the V-Pick is no match!!!
    sigpic

Comment

Dunlop... Gator Grip purple .96mm or the red heavy Gel picks.

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
        Try roughing up a tortex pick with some heavy grit sandpaper. You could also try going to an athletic supply store and getting some Stickum to apply to the grip end of the pick.
        Or do what Dimebag Darrell did... take a knife or box cutter and cut little Xs into the pick.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i use XL series Jazz IIIs. i used to use fender heavys, the big triangle ones, but they kept slipping out. then i found the Jazz IIIs, they never slip, if anything they stick to my fingers. also like someone else said, try that gorrila snot stuff (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...not?sku=428010), you could yous what ever pick you like, and they shouldnt slip.. and the dunlop nylons have that gripy surface on em

Comment

He did say he tried the Gorilla Snot, as well as Jazz IIIs.

I started out using really thin Dunlop full-size picks - they were a soft pink color that matched the Salmon Pink Kramer I had

As well, I was a bit of a hamfist, so I could beat the strings with a thin pick.

A friend of mine had some Jazz IIIs and let me have one, and I've been hooked on them ever since. They're thick so you pretty much get one tone out of them, and are more suited for sweeps IMO than actual picking because of that.

For a while I was using Jazz Is and Jazz II2s, which were thinner variations of the Jazz III, but they were the typical Delrin material and slid around once the ink wore off. Plus they folded from the heat of my hand and the grip I had on them

Try these: www.pointlesspicks.com

I got some at NAMM and they really do work! They have a bowl-type middle that you'd be hard-pressed to lose a grip on. If the rounded edges don't appeal to you, trim them to whatever shape you want, but I did find that pinch harmonics are just as easy with these as with a Jazz III.

The 3 I have are .58mm (red), .72mm (green), and 1mm (blue). I like the reds best.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              Dunlop... Gator Grip purple .96mm or the red heavy Gel picks.

+1 on the red heavy Dunlop Gel picks.
              Jackson DK2M Red Ghost Flame
              Jackson Performer RR
              Ibanez RG7421 w/Blaze's
              Fender Acoustic
              Blackstar HT-5 head
              Blackheart 1X12 cabinet
              Rocktron Xpression effects rack

Comment

Dunlop Nylon Standard (.88M version)

They have a nice rough surface on the upper half.
                Jackson KV2
                Jackson KE1T
                Jackson KE1F
                Jackson SL1

Comment

I forgot one other thing i tried as well in the past. If you have a dremmel with a fine drill bit you can drill a series of small holes in the grip portion of the pick.

Your skin tends to dimple down into the holes giving you a better grip, plus they tend to help drain any sweat off.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

there is a reason celluloid picks are the "Standard".
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I had the same problem picks go flying in the middle of a song. For the life of me I can't remember the brand but the one's I use now have a rough surface almost like a cat tongue to a tee and I NEVER lose grip of a pick now. If you need more info PM me and I'll take a look at mine tonight when I get home.

EDIT: They are cats tongue picks Ha ha

http://imperialguitar.stores.yahoo.net/brainpick.html
                      07 Ibanez J Custom RG8470RS, 92 Ibanez RG770EG, 91 Ibanez RG565EG, 90 Ibanez RG550CM, 90 Jackson USA Fusion, 89 BCRich Assassin, 85 Ibanez Roadstar II RS440RV, 05 Takamine AN-10

Furman PL-8 Series II, ADA 3TM MP-1 Ultra+, Axe-FX Ultra, rack tray (Axess Elec. BS-2, DOD FX90), Roland EV-5, Dunlop 535Q18v, VHT 2/50/2, Ground Control Pro, X2 Digital XDS95 W'less, (2) Bogner Cubes

Comment

The dunlop tortex 1mm ones work well for me and don't slip out. Of course after a while they are more slippery due to sweat & oils. My que is when the print on the pick can no longer be read it's time to go to a new one.
                        Dave

Comment

I use these:

The middle one, though I do have a clear version of the red one on the left that is just plain cool, so I use that every once in a while.

None of my friends understand how I can use them since they're so tiny and thick, but they just feel way more comfortable to me. Normal sized picks feel clumsy now.

If you're having trouble holding onto picks, the Big Stubbies have a massive indent that your thumb/finger sits nicely in. I hear really good things about V-Picks (google it!) but they're expensive.
                          Why so serious?

Comment

jazz III XL's for me
                            used fender extra heavy's before but these are the shit
                            If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
                              Dunlop Nylon Standard (.88M version)

They have a nice rough surface on the upper half.
                              +1 Exactly. I use the .88 with most electric and acoustic guitars. I also use some much thinner ones to play my Nylon classical ala Malmsteen.
                              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I use celluloid and drill a few holes.

Comment

Working...
                                X