• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: new project w/pix suggestions please

Cool! I will check out the site,thanks! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

So I spent a bitchin' weekend getting more done on this project...after several weeks of repairing,testing out finishes and prep work I finally got to the staining stage....it's not perfect but hell I'm almost happy with it [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Yesterday I masked off the body and repainted the cavities :

I got some overspray ...my tape just wasn't tight enough :

I sanded as much of the overspray off as I could,then wetted the veneer down to raise the grain for a final sanding:

I put on the first coat of stain,then sanded it off a little too soon as you can see it sorta smeared in places :

The second coat...I also sanded this one back well after it dried hopefully to compensate for the smearing I did earlier :

Then I added a third coat of stain,it's starting to look like a sea of grape kool-aid [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Here's the fourth coat :

Skipping to the 6th coat:

And the final coat:

I then masked off the top of the guitar to spray the black edges :

And here it is with the paint still wet,the lines look very hard,but once it dries it will smooth out some :

Comment

Some different angle shots after it dried :

Comment

So while all you bitches got to go to namm (I WAS supposed to go,but no.... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) I was busy turning my fingers purple [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Not sure if anyone notices or not,but if you look at the top of a dinky,or soloist,or hell most strats they have a bevel where the side meets the top,I sanded the veneer flat against the body then put filler in where the bevel was to make the guitar look beefier (like it's owner [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) and it also gives it a nice sharp edge,I'm not 100% sure if I like it or not yet,but what's done is done now [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Looks like you had the same idea that I did when I did the veneer thing on an old Model 4 that I had laying around.

My veneer job didn't come out as good as yours did though, ah well, it was a first for me.

One thing that I would recommend though thru my experience.

When you're stripping down a guitar, in the trem cavity where theres always that little bit of foam or whatever there, strip that out as well, then go to a craft supply store and get a sheet of felt that's adhesive on one side, they sell it in all kinds of colors, paint up your trem cavity like you did, wait for that to dry fully, then cut out the adhesive felt to replace where the foam was, gives it a MUCH cleaner, nicer look.

Comment

Originally posted by Evol:

So while all you bitches got to go to namm (I WAS supposed to go,but no.... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) I was busy turning my fingers purple [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Not sure if anyone notices or not,but if you look at the top of a dinky,or soloist,or hell most strats they have a bevel where the side meets the top,I sanded the veneer flat against the body then put filler in where the bevel was to make the guitar look beefier (like it's owner [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) and it also gives it a nice sharp edge,I'm not 100% sure if I like it or not yet,but what's done is done now [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Just wanted to carry the pics over to the new page. I think you're doing one hell of a job!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Dave-&gt;
                    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Originally posted by JiMoSiTY:
                      Looks like you had the same idea that I did when I did the veneer thing on an old Model 4 that I had laying around.

My veneer job didn't come out as good as yours did though, ah well, it was a first for me.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was thinking about doing the same thing to a model series charvel next [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] .....I like yours though ,the gold hardware looks great against the color....did you do the clear yourself ? If so,did you use laquer or poly or ??

Thanks for the comments guys any more advice is great,I appreciate all the help! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

looks fantastic indeed! did you get the dye from reranch?

nice job!

sully
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] WOW!!!! That purple-burst is BEAUTIFUL! The flame looks incredibly deep and rich for just a thin veneer! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by jsullysix:
                            looks fantastic indeed! did you get the dye from reranch?

nice job!

sully
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I ended up going with the colortone stain from stew-mac and then a couple of days mixing until I got the right color which is hit and miss because it takes so many coats before you get to the right shade,but I did come up with some interesting color combos along the way [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I came up with this one which was a light blue base coat of the stain followed by a dark red right on top,no sanding etc :

But that ended up looking a little pink,it's kinda pretty but I would look more than a little gay playing a pinkish guitar [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

So I tried doing a black base coat,sanding it down then several coats of purple and got this :

Which was ok,but what the pic doesn't show is when the light hits it for some reason the figuring is tinted kinda pinkish also,so no go....not like purple is the most manly color in the world but it's still alot less feminine than pink [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

*Gets nasty emails from all you pink guitar players [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

So in the end,I added more blue stain to the above mix and tested and tested and tested etc,until I came up with the one that's on there now which is alot darker than the others and just piled it on until I was happy (which took hours).

I did manage to paint the control cavity with shielding paint,and damn is that stuff expensive! Another coat or two of that then I'll paint the back of the guitar all black and start the sealer.4 million coats of clear laquer should do the trick [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ........we'll see

Comment

Looks awesome! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
                                [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] WOW!!!! That purple-burst is BEAUTIFUL! The flame looks incredibly deep and rich for just a thin veneer! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No kidding,I have some regular thin flamed maple veneer that doesn't have this figuring and that shit is thin,but this piece seems like it's half as thin as that,in fact I'm glad I took the time to test everything out a million times because due to it being so thin the stain would cause it to wrinkle up if I put it on too thick or didn't let it dry enough before the next coat.Lesson learned ....as it didn't happen on the guitar...whew! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X