new project w/pix suggestions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: new project w/pix suggestions please

damn man, incredible job [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] . that is gonna be a hell of a guitar. keep us informed indeed!!!!

Harrald

Comment

that is going to be a sweet one...you do good work too. [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

That looks really good. I wish my projects were moving along that quickly, but I've been trying to finish renovating my bathroom for Christmas. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

That's a real nice veneer there. I'll be using Australian lacewood on mine. It should be pretty unique.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I've spent more time thinking about what I wanted to do than actually doing it,plus tons of research,all the suggestions here have been great!
          All in all it's taken about 2 months or so just to get to this point,lots of prep and trying to find out what COULD go wrong and make sure I do everything possible to keep those things from happening.
          Thanks for all the comments,and keep 'em coming! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

WOW!!!! i haven't looked at this thread in a while, and i'm glad i waited so i could see the progress all at once (so far)! GREAT GREAT JOB!

lemme ask, when you started cutting the cavities out on the veneer, how did you get the exact shape? did you cut in the middle of the cavity, then up, and trace along the edge/side using the cavity wall as somewhat of a guide? the lines look really clean, and you should be really proud of how you've done so far.

sully

[ December 22, 2003, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: jsullysix ]
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

That is looking great!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] It's amazing how such a pos can be turned into a killer axe! Can't wait to see it finished.
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by jsullysix:
                WOW!!!! i haven't looked at this thread in a while, and i'm glad i waited so i could see the progress all at once (so far)! GREAT GREAT JOB!

lemme ask, when you started cutting the cavities out on the veneer, how did you get the exact shape? did you cut in the middle of the cavity, then up, and trace along the edge/side using the cavity wall as somewhat of a guide? the lines look really clean, and you should be really proud of how you've done so far.

sully
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Cutting the cavities was a ***** ! I did start in the middle but with this veneer I had to be careful because it wanted to naturally split along the quilted parts...so I would let it go by itself almost up to the end of the cavity,and I would cut it off maybe 1/8 to 1/16 of an inch against the cavity wall.These came off in real skinny strips so it was slow going.Now,to get the line perfect I took my dremel with a sanding drum and CAREFULLY went along the edges using long strokes and one hand along the guitar as a guide until I got really close to the edge.Then I took a thin block of wood and some 320 grit fre-cut and sanded down until I was against the cavity wall.
                For the volume control I flipped it over and drilled a tiny hole from underneath,flipped it back over and took the knife and made tiny little slices from the inside towards the cavity wall,a bunch of those and I could run the knife around the hole with the blade tilted inwards towards the center and that removed all the slices.Then I took the dremel with the sanding drum (PERFECT fit for the volume) and inserted (hehe) it into the hole and carefully holding it with both hands,turned it on low speed and moved it up and down until all was smooth.Have to be cautious when doing this though,it would be really easy to get the hole out of round with a dremel and I suspect that's most likely what happened to this guitar in the first place [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I've come to the conclusion that this would have been MUCH easier to do with book matched halves than with one piece,but it's a learning experience ,and I just flat out love the pattern [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

wow.. that's kinda what i was thinking! glad i'm not as much of a moron as i'd thought!

what color are you thinkin of finishing it with?

sully
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Hey, you're doing great! I've been following along and from the pics, it looks like you're really doing a very nice job. It's a great feeling isn't it? [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Dave-&gt;
                    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

wow.. that's kinda what i was thinking! glad i'm not as much of a moron as i'd thought!

what color are you thinkin of finishing it with?

sully
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well I've been playing around with that on some scrap ,my original plan was going to be this which I started to do this weekend :

But a couple of things came to mind,one being the brown looks too much like a rosewood color and since the fretboard is rosewood I don't think it will be all that good,and the other is all the hardware I have for this sucker is black,to me brown needs to have chrome or gold hardware.
                      So I changed my mind and I'm going to do it in my favorite color PURPLE!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by budman68:
                        Hey, you're doing great! I've been following along and from the pics, it looks like you're really doing a very nice job. It's a great feeling isn't it? [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Dave-&gt;
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Absolutely a great feeling,I'm still stressed about the finish,but to be able and sit back and look at a piece of crap body turn around into something I can't walk in and buy not to mention CHEAP is all the satisfaction I need,so far [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Evol:
                          I'm going to do it in my favorite color PURPLE!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">sweet! so it'll be a distant cousin to this:
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The Sullycaster [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, those both look incredible. Kudos to you both!!!!!!!!!! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Evol:
                              I'm going to do it in my favorite color PURPLE!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">sweet! so it'll be a distant cousin to this:
                              </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Whoa! That guitar is BEAUTIFUL! Did you do that yourself? If so what kinda stain and finish did you use?

Comment

nah, that body was something i found in the warmoth thrift shop....sadly the price didn't go along with the thrift shop name! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

it's dyed purple over a very strange flame pattern, as you can see. reranch carries purple analine dye, and that would be where you may want to try. www.reranch.com

sully
                                Sully Guitars on Google+
                                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                                X