Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Went shopping for refin stuff today. How'd I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Went shopping for refin stuff today. How\'d I d

i'll letcha know; i've got a warlock that i'll be shooting midnight blue this week and i'm using waterbased createx airbrush paint.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I want to do this "crystalized" finish on a guitar. Check out this video, it's some wicked bad shit! Check out their website for other cool stuff.
      VIDEO
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

That video is kickass! If I could get body done like that in red that would be too cool!
        Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

Ok, lots of great tips and info here. I too am about to refinish a body. So here's my questions.

I mentioned buffing compounds, but don't recall seeing anything about buffing in this thread. So how do we do the final finishing/polishing?

Is it just done with wet extra micro fine sand paper or will the four stages of buffing compounds Stew Mac recommends come into play at some point? Or is that stuff for the nitro paints they sell and use?

A couple other questions I'm not 100% clear on.

1. How many coats of primer and what grit should be used between coats and is primer the same as the sander sealer?

2. The color coats... Since I'll most likely use the Krylon rattle cans should I use a flat color or gloss before the clear coat?

3. How long should the primer set up before the first coat of color? And as I understand it the color goes on, sets up and is level sanded then another coat goes on. How many coats, what grit and should it be wet or dry and how long should it set up between coats.

4. Finally, the clear coats. Basically the same questions as the color coats. How long, how many, wet or dry and what grit?

5. How do you prevent getting the clear coats caked up in the pickup and bridge cavities as well as the neck pocket? Also someone said to fill in all the holes and redrill them, does that include the neck holes as well?

6. Satins. I have been considering a white satin body. Is this the same proceedure as the gloss finish except use a satin clear coat or is there special precautions to take with this stuff?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Ok, lots of great tips and info here. I too am about to refinish a body. So here's my questions.

I mentioned buffing compounds, but don't recall seeing anything about buffing in this thread. So how do we do the final finishing/polishing?

Is it just done with wet extra micro fine sand paper or will the four stages of buffing compounds Stew Mac recommends come into play at some point? Or is that stuff for the nitro paints they sell and use?

A couple other questions I'm not 100% clear on.

1. How many coats of primer and what grit should be used between coats and is primer the same as the sander sealer?

2. The color coats... Since I'll most likely use the Krylon rattle cans should I use a flat color or gloss before the clear coat?

3. How long should the primer set up before the first coat of color? And as I understand it the color goes on, sets up and is level sanded then another coat goes on. How many coats, what grit and should it be wet or dry and how long should it set up between coats.

4. Finally, the clear coats. Basically the same questions as the color coats. How long, how many, wet or dry and what grit?

5. How do you prevent getting the clear coats caked up in the pickup and bridge cavities as well as the neck pocket? Also someone said to fill in all the holes and redrill them, does that include the neck holes as well?

6. Satins. I have been considering a white satin body. Is this the same proceedure as the gloss finish except use a satin clear coat or is there special precautions to take with this stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a lot of great info on this thread but you really should pick up a book or two for best results. You should buy the book from the Krylon guy since that is what you plan on using (http://www.paintyourownguitar.com/). To answer some of your questions, well one. Use tape where you don't want paint. Tape off the neck pocket before you start painting!

Comment

There is a lot of great info on this thread but you really should pick up a book or two for best results. You should buy the book from the Krylon guy since that is what you plan on using (http://www.paintyourownguitar.com/). To answer some of your questions, well one. Use tape where you don't want paint. Tape off the neck pocket before you start painting!

[/ QUOTE ]
              +1 On that book. I've been painting for 25 years or so and found the book to be excellent for Krylon/Duplicolor type paints. There are even some good pointers and techniques that I found great that can be applied to the technique of spray painting and buffing in general.
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I just bought the ebook. I didn't even get past the "what you're going to need" part without learning something about painting.

So far good stuff.

Comment

The books are excellent, I agree.
                  But what the books DON'T tell you is that you won't be able to put your guitar in a guitar case for at least a year. If you do, the "fur" from the case will leave impressions in the finish! And why do you think the same author wrote a book on "The finish protector"? What this basically is, is a piece of wood that mounts on the bottom forks of a guitar stand. Why you ask? To allow the bottom strap pin to rest on the piece of wood as opposed to the Krylon resting on the foam. The foam rubber on a guitar stand will eat right through the Krylon finish! The author claims that this happens with all lacquers. I'll just say this ... I've owned a shit-load of guitars over the 20+ years I've been playing and not one lacquer finished guitar was EVER effected by the foam rubber on a guitar stand.
                  What the book also doesn't tell you is that any hardware or pickgaurds that are to be mounted directly onto the finish will actually sink into to finish in time. A very short period of time I might add.

Yep, the books are great.
                  It's the paint that sucks.

Just remember the author is in business to sell books and don't be "wow'd" by the beautiful pictures.
                  Ask to see pictures of those same guitars in 3-6 months [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Yes, I definitely agree with you on the paint. The author of those books also will tell you to wait 4-6 months before buffing out a painted guitar. The main reason is that with the graphic designs, he's presenting ie; EVH Stripes, Zakk Camo, there are so many layers of paint, it's going to take a long time to cure. I personally would not attempt one of these designs with Krylon. It would have to be a catalyzed (poly) finish only. Krylon might be good for one thin solid or metallic color only. If I was worried about keeping a low VOC type paint job, I would use water based Auto Air Colors with a Urethane primer base for adhesion, and a Urethane clear coat.
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

+1 on the last two posts. I hope the guy sells lots of books, but I'm not impressed in the least.
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Ok, There's a lot of talk on this thread about using Krylon. Then it's suggested to buy a book. Now that the book is purchased it's more or less being said the book is good, but paint job is going to be total shit.

I've already read it and it's answered a few questions, well, actually it answered everything I need to know to paint my body, should I decide to use Krylon, which I am beginning to very seriously doubt.

What I gather from it you can indeed get a quality looking paint job, but you can't put the guitar in a case or on a stand without balancing it on the strap button on a block of wood for a year or longer..

So, this takes us all the way back to the beginning.. How do you paint a guitar?

I have a compressor, so what kind of sprayer and what kind of paint do I need and where do you get the paint? With this kind of paint do you follow the same princliples as this book outlines with the sanding sealer, primer, color coats and clear coats?

Comment

yeah, ya do. stay tuned, i'll try to slap something together, but for now, i think it's time to post mark's offering.
                          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                          Sully Guitars on Facebook
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Good read... So it pretty much boils down to use the Krylon if you don't want to drop fat cash on equipment and polys...

My compressor is only 1.5hp and 150 psi. That won't do the job properly?

Comment

Bengal shot me some really good advice on his compressor setup. Should nobody else answer, try asking him.

As for me, I'm going to wait a while until I get a compressor setup. I really want to do a kick-ass job on my guitars, and it sounds like the compressor is the only way to get around it.

Any book/ebook recommendations for this?

Fuck! Even paintyourownguitar.com doesn't have a straightforward tutorial! I don't want a 5150, I just want a black guitar goddammit! Black! No zebra, no 5150, no pinstripes, no rebel flag, no Zack Wylde bullseye! Just black, okay? Just plain and simple solid black on the whole motherfucking guitar! How much is that to ask?

Comment

The PYOG ebook does have a solid color tutorial, you just skip the design parts as you do the color coats first then the the design coats over it. Still a pretty good read.

I think if you can get good results from that you should be able to do the high dollar stuff too.

Would be good practice until you can get the spray rig. I'm going to give it a shot on an old V body I have laying around and see.

Comment

Working...
                                X