Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Went shopping for refin stuff today. How'd I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Went shopping for refin stuff today. How\'d I d

check out www.reranch.com and read reranch 101; there will be plenty of info for you there.

st. james, i can't say for certain, but you MIGHT be able to get away with that compressor, but again, i'm not totally sure. if you're using LVHP, you're usually shooting between 40-60 psi for you primers (40), colors (30-40), and clears (50-60). if you use HVLP, you're shooting at much less pressures (20-40, iirc). your compressor might be able to push a detail gun, but i'm not sure about a regular sized one.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I'm kind of confused now. If it doesn't exceed 60 psi. especially with the recommended HVLP, why would a 150 psi compressor not be sufficient? I must be missing something.
      Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

There is a certain cfm per psi minimum, and I think that is what he's referring to.
        I'm not Ron!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          There is a certain cfm per psi minimum, and I think that is what he's referring to.

[/ QUOTE ]
          Exactly. It's the cfh (cubic feet per hour). CFH is the volume and not the pressure. You need the air volume to push the denser paints. You won't be able to shoot a urethane primer like PPG DP series with out using a reducer (thinner) That compressor will work with urethane base coat/clear coats as mixed. I use a small siphon feed inexpensive "touch-up" gun. It has an 8 oz. cup and you buy them cheap and they work almost as good as $300 Sata or Binks. You can get them at place like Harbor Freight or Northern tools for around $40. I find the siphon feed to work better than the HVLP gravity guns for painting guitars. Someone may have better experience with an HVLP, but I'm old school and that's what I'm used to. I have thrown out 3 HVLP guns. The only way I would use an HVLP is with a Turbinair or TIP type system, which uses a turbine instead of a compressor. Of course, the turbine based systems are expensive, starting at $600 on up. But, they work very good and are very efficent spraying material.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Your "touch up" gun is also referred to as a "jam gun", am I right? So, it doesn't have the higher psi and cfh requirements, as a general gun, huh? I'm gonna have to check out Harbor Freight. I have to get some stuff from them, anyway. They just put a store in, closeby, plus, I'm waiting on my catalog. Been a year or more since they sent me one.
            I'm not Ron!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Your "touch up" gun is also referred to as a "jam gun", am I right? So, it doesn't have the higher psi and cfh requirements, as a general gun, huh? I'm gonna have to check out Harbor Freight. I have to get some stuff from them, anyway. They just put a store in, closeby, plus, I'm waiting on my catalog. Been a year or more since they sent me one.

[/ QUOTE ]
              I never have heard it referred to as a "Jam Gun", but that probably does fit the description. Go to the Harbor Freight website. It's Item No. 86-6VGA $9.99 Touchup Gun. At that price I'm going to get several more. They must have dropped their prices. The last one I bought was $39.99. I use 3 of them. one for primers and one for base coats and clear coats. The third, I use for dyes or transparent burst colors.
              Requirements: 2.8 cfm at 30 PSI, 4.0 cfm at 50 PSI, Cup Size 7 oz..
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

yeah, a touch up gun is also called a jamb gun or a detail gun. you can shoot color with them, but i dunno about primer, and no way would i shoot clear with one. that said, harbor frieght can get ya going. i got my 21 gal compressor there for 199. i got the guns i use as a package deal from lowes, and they've served me pretty well.

sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

For guitar painting you could get by with the "jamb" guns, but they are considered high pressure and will create a lot of overspray. Plus, I don't like that little 7 oz. cup.
                  Now, the most important thing is to match the air consumption rating of the gun with that of the compressor (or better yet, exceed the gun rating with the compressor)
                  This is an excellent starter setup for a little over $200.00. The gun is rated at 5.91scfm @ 29psi, and the compressor will deliver 5.7scfm @ 40psi. You're not going to paint a car with this setup, but for guitars it will work nicely:

Compressor:
                  http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40400

Gun:
                  http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90977
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Guess it doesn't matter, cause I spoke to the body guy I know, today, and he said he'll shoot it, for me. He is also willing to work cheap, for me, too, since I'm paying out of pocket, and I've given him so much business. He said bring it in when the body is ready. He said he had several whites, and even had pearl, if I would want that. Not sure, though.
                    Neck just came in, today, and I've started mounting the tuners, and whatnot. Gotta re-drill the mounting holes, and route for the nocking nut. And I have to re-shape the front neck pocket face, using filler, since this Chandler body has the flat face, and the neck has the standard ROUND heel face. Not alot of difference, when I mocked it up, but just enough to notice.
                    Some day, I'll have this, together. Slow and steady.....
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

• Re: Went shopping for refin stuff today. How\'d I d

I'd damn near kill for a pearl finish on a body I have... I've been wanting to do it in pearl with gold hardware. Would look sweet!
                      Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

Ooh. I agree. That would be SWEEEEEEET. lol.
                        I'm not Ron!

Comment

Excellent.
                          That's really the way to go.

You may want to double check and make sure he's going to shoot a primer/sealer before shooting the paint.
                          I say this because I had a buddy who "knew someone" at a body shop and let them paint his guitar.
                          They guy didn't prime or seal it and didn't even bother shooting it with clear.
                          The paint began chipping and flaking really bad.
                          I know it's a "no-brainer", but it doesn't hurt to ask just to make sure.

Also, make sure you prep the body really good before bringing it to your buddy.
                          Good body prep is what makes the difference in a good paintjob and a GREAT paintjob IMO.

Good luck! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh, sure, I agree. We discussed the project for a while. I told him what I'd done so far, and he agreed that I was on the right track. I told him what I wanted done (Primer/sealer, base, clear), and told him I's even handle the sanding chores, if that made things easier (It IS my guitar. I should help out, when I can.) He told me they had already done several other guitars, before (which I didn't know), and he actually seemed into it, cause, as he put it, "It would be a nie change of pace. A nice project, and something to get away from the regular, every-day, stuff". These are guys that have bent over, backwards, for me in the past, and I have no reason to believe that their quality of work and attention would be any different, this time. Actually, since it sin't the norm, for them, I expect to see a certain level of enthusiasm, based on our conversation.
                            Now that I got the neck in, all I have to do is mod the neck pocket, for a nice, solid fit, come up with the funds for the body shop, final sand, and hand it over to them. Any suggestions as to what grit I shoud sand to, prior to handing it over to them?
                            I'm not Ron!

Comment

We may be forgetting one step here unless I missed it: Grain filling on open grain woods like Ash, Mahagony, Koa, and Korina. I hate it but it has to be done or you will see grain after awhile no matter what type of paint your using. For fillers, I've used water based, oil based and just applied the System 3 epoxy on a Mah body and neck. You can get System 3 through Luthiers Mercentile or Woodcraft stores. I'll let you know how the System 5 works out after I start sanding! Yuck!

Comment

Well, in MY case, my guitar is alder, so it shouldn't be a issue.
                                I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                                X