Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Went shopping for refin stuff today. How'd I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Went shopping for refin stuff today. How\'d I d

wow mark, lighten up a little. he wasn't advocating not being safe, but i totally agree with you in that you have to have a good mask and the little sanding masks you get for 3.00 at lowes isn't gonna help you.

the stuff is wicked dangerous, and i have to say that what i've learned most from painting is the value in paying someone else to do it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] it's a fuckin mess!

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      wow mark, lighten up a little. he wasn't advocating not being safe, but i totally agree with you in that you have to have a good mask and the little sanding masks you get for 3.00 at lowes isn't gonna help you.

the stuff is wicked dangerous, and i have to say that what i've learned most from painting is the value in paying someone else to do it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] it's a fuckin mess!

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah Jon, I was a little harsh, but you know how that shit bothers me. Most people just don't seem to take the dangers seriously. I feel the need to emphasize it whenever the need arises.
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I don't believe I was creating a tutorial on "How to Paint with Acrylic Urethanes", I was simply pointing out that it was MUCH more durable than Krylon.

Now go take your Paxil. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

My apologies dude. I know you probably mean't well. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah dude, that was pretty harsh.
          It wasn't like I was offering up a "tutorial" that promoted unsafe practices. I was just making a statement that I found the overall results of using acrylic urethane to be much better than using Krylon.

I was just trying to help.
          No hard feelings. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Yikes. Sorry I asked a few questions. I turned my back for the night, and BAM. I really never took what Dino said as a tutorial, just some pros and cons. It really did enlighten me to the use of Krylons, and have me wondering if that is reallt the route I should go. I DID want to make it a project I did, from start to finish, but I DO also want it to be as good as I can afford to make it.
            Dino, when I get a chance, I'm gonna shoot you an Email or PM, concerning paintwork. Hope you don't mind. Now, everyone go to your corners! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            I'm not Ron!

Comment

I didn't mean to scare anyone out of doing a rattlecan paintjob. And by all means, PLEASE don't run out and buy a compressor rig and start shooting urethanes without doing your homework on the hazards and knowing what safety precautions to take to help prevent them.

I agree the "simplicity" and cost of being able to paint your guitar with spraypaint may be very appealing. But I just thought that those who are thinking about using Krylon should also know what some of the disadvantages are as well.
              Some of that stuff is even covered in the eBay book, but some stuff is not.

Again, I'm not trying to bash Krylon or promote it.
              I'm just trying to pass along some information I have based on my own personal experience.

Comment

That's cool bro, I guess it just kinda struck a nerve with me. It really excites me to see more and more folks getting into painting their own guitars. It's a very rewarding thing when you can look at that killer looking axe and say "I did it!". You're Krylon jobs look awesome, so that just shows that with patience, you can produce a nice looking job with rattle cans (not very durable though). I can look at those axes and see a ton of time spent, and a lot of "waiting" for the stuff to cure. A problem I see all the time (with rattle can jobs), is that most of the time people rush the job because they're impatient. They want to keep spraying the stuff on till it's nice and shiny, trying to achieve that "ultra deep" gloss look, thinking it will dry that way. Then months later the paint is still so soft they can't even carry the axe in a case without fucking up the finish. I've painted cars with lacquer in the past, and I learned to spray a couple of light coats, then let that dry for a couple of weeks. Then repeat that process until there were 8 to 10 coats. At that point the paint is so rough it looks like shit, and most novices would think you did a crappy job. Truth is, by waiting between light coats, you're allowing the solvents to evaporate thoroughly between applications, and not building up a thick spongy mess. Even then, that final coat needs to sit for at least 4 to 6 weeks before you start wet sanding and polishing. All this takes time and patience (and lots of both!)
                Now, in comes the two part polys. Spray today, wet sand and buff tommorow, and you're done! Now, the average hobbiest looks at the two methods and decides the only way to go is the poly, so he/she runs down to the local paint store and buys the paint and hardener, gets a cheap compressor and spray gun, and goes to work in the garage. Now, do you suppose the guy at the paint store takes the time to assume the customer doesn't know anything about the dangers of breathing the stuff (or even skin contact), and educates him/her about it? 99% of the time, NO. They want to make the sale and get on to the next customer. They will literally sell the stuff to anyone who walks in and even acts like they know what they want. Being armed with what little info the customer read on some forum, they go into the paint store, ask for some clear poly and hardener, and they're on the way home to very possibly fuck up their whole life. I just hate to see that happen, and every time "poly" is brought up on this forum I just cringe. It's funny how you have to have a prescription to get potentially dangerous drugs, an explosives license to buy dynamite, etc., but you can walk into an auto parts store with nothing but a check book and buy paints containing deadly isocyanates. I just don't get it. With more and more forum members trying their hand at painting guitars, I think there should be a sticky in this section educating people about paints in general. Not a "how to paint your guitar" sticky, more of a "what type of paint is best for me to use, and why" kinda thing. Sully?

Comment

couldn't agree more, mark. write it up!
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Very informative thread, this is becoming........(why did I just sound like friggin' Yoda?.......nevermind).
                    Yes, I am interested in having my guitar painted MY way, and yes, I DO have a compressor, and 2 guns (they came along with the compressor, as part of the deal), but NO, there's no way in HELL that I am going to run down, plunk my cash at the paint n' body supply shop, run home, and F@#* up both my project AND my health, cause it just ain't worth it. First of all, yeah, I have some equipment, but I've never used the guns, wouldn't know where to start, AND wouldn't know how the hell to clean them out, afterward. The compressor is a Craftsman, and have only used it for airtools, and pumping up tires and shit. I DO know my limitations. I WAS sorta set to do the paintbomb thing, but if durablility is an issue (I can wait the 6-8 weeks for it to reach a workable cure), then maybe I should see if the local car shop will cut me a deal. He's done some auto work for me, in the past. Hell, I think he's added a wing, in my name!
                    Let me throw this by you guys. see what you think: I have an 80s Chandler Soloist body, single hum, topload Floyd route. I want a nice snow-white base/clear finish, that isn't gonna fade and yellow out on me. Maybe a black Chinese dragon graphic, in the bottom-left corner. Any ballpark figure I should expect, from a shop, in 2-part poly, especially if the body works been done, and it's ready for the initial primer? Enlighten me, if you may.
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

I've been painting guitars as a hobby since 1984 and cars back to 1973. I started out way back when acrylic lacquers were the way to go. Then, the Urethane clears started hitting the market, then colors, topcoats and basecoat/clearcoats. With industry environmental concerns, plus fast cure times, the automotive industry went to all catalyized finishes, Poly's or Urethanes. I use the precautions for urethane based 2 part and sometimes 3 part paints. I have a booth in my living room. It's too humid here on the Gulf Coast to paint anywhere else but indoors. The booth uses a range hood (explosion proof motor) that is ducted and vents to the outside. The booth is air tight excepting the filter and prefilter going in. I use a fullface respirator and nylon/paper coveralls and rubber gloves when handling and spraying these paints. The messy part is the cleanup of equipment and I do that in the garage using a respirator. The best part is the quick cure times leading to the buff out. I haven't noticed any problems with Tone loss using these finishes, because I tend to use less paint with the acrylic urethanes. Yea, I thought of a sticky section would be great. Also a link to guitar part manufacturers/suppliers would be great since the topic comes up so often.
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Very informative thread, this is becoming........(why did I just sound like friggin' Yoda?.......nevermind).
                        Yes, I am interested in having my guitar painted MY way, and yes, I DO have a compressor, and 2 guns (they came along with the compressor, as part of the deal), but NO, there's no way in HELL that I am going to run down, plunk my cash at the paint n' body supply shop, run home, and F@#* up both my project AND my health, cause it just ain't worth it. First of all, yeah, I have some equipment, but I've never used the guns, wouldn't know where to start, AND wouldn't know how the hell to clean them out, afterward. The compressor is a Craftsman, and have only used it for airtools, and pumping up tires and shit. I DO know my limitations. I WAS sorta set to do the paintbomb thing, but if durablility is an issue (I can wait the 6-8 weeks for it to reach a workable cure), then maybe I should see if the local car shop will cut me a deal. He's done some auto work for me, in the past. Hell, I think he's added a wing, in my name!
                        Let me throw this by you guys. see what you think: I have an 80s Chandler Soloist body, single hum, topload Floyd route. I want a nice snow-white base/clear finish, that isn't gonna fade and yellow out on me. Maybe a black Chinese dragon graphic, in the bottom-left corner. Any ballpark figure I should expect, from a shop, in 2-part poly, especially if the body works been done, and it's ready for the initial primer? Enlighten me, if you may.

[/ QUOTE ]
                        I'd say for want you want $230-$330. There are many out there that do this as a profession. I can recommend one outfit that has a one week turn around. Yours might be a tad longer with the graphic, but it's much better than 2, 3 and 4 months that some of the outfits take to do a paint job.
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I can't tell you how great this thread is. Definitley a sticky. Ive been exposed to 22 years of second-hand smoke; brake dust; formaldyhide (sp); 30 years of leaded gas; 40 years of assorted paint fumes and I smoke. I am a lost cause. I hold my breath when I paint. It works, but only for about 30 seconds. But, you young pups take heed. Live to be 150. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I can't tell you how great this thread is. Definitley a sticky. Ive been exposed to 22 years of second-hand smoke; brake dust; formaldyhide (sp); 30 years of leaded gas; 40 years of assorted paint fumes and I smoke. I am a lost cause. I hold my breath when I paint. It works, but only for about 30 seconds. But, you young pups take heed. Live to be 150. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Fett,
                            Is that exposure concurently or consecutively? That would make you 92 years old. I say you're doing great! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I'll have to ask my lungs. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

How much would a compressor setup cost? With this first guitar, I think I'll stick to Krylons simply because it's my first refin, and going full blown would be a waste of money. I'll learn some of the handywork with the krylons, then move on up to the compressors.

BTW, would this kind of respirator work for shooting two-part polys?

Here's my first victim:

I hate the way the guitar looks. It looks like the basic outline of a strat was cut out and painted, almost no curve to the edges. I think I might just try to round it out like a Schecter. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all of the responses so far, they've all been most helpful.

Comment

Working...
                                X