Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fun with Bondo!! ...Rhoads project

wow, great work so far!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    please keep us posted, I love threads like this.
    got a project going too, I think I can learn a lot of you that way... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Amazing work MM! I can't wait to see how this project progresses.

I am not good with stuff like that, I can't repair a guitar to save my life. I love the direction you are going in though, one knob, one pickup, that's how it should be done!
      I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

<font color="aqua">back at it again, eh, my friend!!?? Looks great, bro and thanks for the pics, they always make a "better" story!! Keep up the great work - [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

That looks freakin awesome and thanks for the pics!!!! Please take tons more through the rest of the project and post them here please [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys! This axe is a nice little diversion from the cars, kind of a stress reliever!
            Now, about bondo shrinkage. Everyone worries about that. I'm sure there are some cheap body putties out there which will shrink over time, I dunno. I do use a good quality product though (3M). If good bondo is mixed correctly it hardens into a solid plastic basically. A car I did for a friend in Tulsa 22 years ago has plenty of bondo in it, and not a single place is showing to this day. Granted, on a car, the bondo isn't used to "fill" holes, just as a surfacer, but I know there were some spots on that car at least 1/4" thick. No shrinkage at all in 22 years. Some people think extremely thick bondo will always crack. That's just not true, unless it was mixed incorrectly, or applied to a surface prone to flexing. They say not to put bondo on a car thick, and the reason isn't because thick bondo isn't stable, it's because the weight hanging onto a piece of sheet metal could break loose and fall off if you hit a chug hole! (I've seen that happen). Anyway, I'm pretty sure with modern chemistry the "bondo shrinkage" is a thing of the past. It's also 50% application technique and common sense. (and the ability to read the label!) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

More progress:

First, I forgot to mention an extremely important part of these projects, yep cleaner! A guitar (or anything else) should be cleaned thoroughly before you even touch it with a piece of sandpaper, and in between each step. Waxes, polishes, body oil, etc., will make the best paint job fail. There are many solvents that will do the job but this is my favorite:

Now, with that out of the way. The next step was to apply a coat of glazing putty (evercoat is the best, putty cote is another good brand, NEVER use that cheap lacquer crap in the tube....talk about shrinkage!) In the first pic I've started block sanding the glaze with 80 grit. After the surface was basically level, I applied a thin mist of black lacquer (the cheapest spray can stuff you can get!) as a guide coat. The black speckles lets you see the surface better, and as you sand you'll see any low spots. Sand until all of the black is gone. Use a good hard block so the surface is absolutely flat. If you sand through around the edges don't sweat it a bunch. Just make sure most of the top is covered and especially around the repair areas. If it gets too thin due to uneven surfaces just apply another coat of glaze, and sand some more! It should look basically like the second pic here:

Now, the rest of the guitar was block sanded with 80 grit, and three coats of buff polyurethane primer were applied. This is the same stuff Jackson uses on their guitars, and it's almost bullet proof!

I'll let this cure for a couple of days before I do anything else. Even though it is catalyzed, it can shrink a little over the first 48 hours, after that you're good to go. If it were a car you could heat cure it at about 150 degrees for a couple of hours, then sand and paint it the same day...but this is wood! (well mostly!) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

aarrhghghghgh dude i cant wait to play this!!! You're doing an amazing job!!! Keep it up!!

Comment

Another auto product I have used and have seen last years is marine epoxy. I used some to restore a steering wheel and then used it to build up an inch of a busted Rhoads tip. It has held up very well.

Comment

Mark, you make it look so easy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Keep up the pics, this is great [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Comment

Second that, guitarsjb! [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Wohoo, a Rhoads mod! I fell off my chair, Mark! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Thanks for posting this story and thanks for all the good tips. Great way to do a new neck pocket, i must say!

A comment on the much dreaded shrinkage (which wouldn't worry me too much) - the interesting thing to watch over time, is how the solid non-flexing bondo will react with the wood surrounding it. Wood, being susceptible to changes in ambient temperature.

Can't wait to see more and can't wait to see how you'll do the white bevels [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                        Henrik
                        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Another auto product I have used and have seen last years is marine epoxy. I used some to restore a steering wheel and then used it to build up an inch of a busted Rhoads tip. It has held up very well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim? Where the hell have you been? Haven't seen you post here in a while. OK, anyway, yep the marine grades are good stuff too. Bottom line is....it's all "bondo". (for lack of a better term [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]), and it's all pretty much an "epoxy". There are a shitload of catalyzed fillers out there, and each one targets itself to a specific job. Fact is, most of them I've tried work very well for the application they were designed for. Just my opinion.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Second that, guitarsjb! [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Wohoo, a Rhoads mod! I fell off my chair, Mark! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Thanks for posting this story and thanks for all the good tips. Great way to do a new neck pocket, i must say!

A comment on the much dreaded shrinkage (which wouldn't worry me too much) - the interesting thing to watch over time, is how the solid non-flexing bondo will react with the wood surrounding it. Wood, being susceptible to changes in ambient temperature.

Can't wait to see more and can't wait to see how you'll do the white bevels [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                            OMFG, what's this? The resurrection of long lost JCF'ers? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            Good to see you post here again bro. I was kinda wondering where you went. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sorry for getting off topic. Very nice work there Mark! We'll all be following this project with great interest! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well bro, the wood is only susceptible to those environmental variables if it's not completely sealed from the outside environment. (was that redundant? LOL!) My way of thinking is to seal it up and close all the pores, then how long will it last? I've recently seen some actual egyptian mummies that were packaged with the same idea....I was amazed! (don't believe me?....I'll send ya pics!)

Oh, and the bevels.....they'll probably look like crap because I've never done them before.

Just kidding Jack.......

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                aarrhghghghgh dude i cant wait to play this!!! You're doing an amazing job!!! Keep it up!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh fuk.....now the owner can see the pics.......I better be good......

Comment

Working...
                                X