wierd intonation problem HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: wierd intonation problem HELP!

So the question now is did the factory refer to all locking trems as Floyds? I would bet that they did.
    Another workorder of a known Schaller ordered Jackson would confirm this.

Comment

OKay, call me crazy, but the way that picture looks, is that the ends of the allen screws on the E A D G strings, stick out OVER the route. If that is the case, then I imagine it is a Schaller/Floyd problem.

As one of the admin's quoted above, it's very possible it came, fucked up from the factory. I've seen some pretty shitty work on USA Jacksons, some before, and just after the buy out. Now mind you, the ones just after, were probably already built.

Hopefully Fender's mindset still isn't

"Yeah, we'd like to fix it for you, since it's under warranty, and came fucked up from the factory, but we make money from customers, not warranty work."

Comment

yeah, but i think that once the guitar is sold to someone other than the original buyer, the warranty is out the window. granted, that's just a guess.
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I think as long as the warranty card was filled out and sent in by the original owner, it's transferrable.
          A local guy here bought a sweet Black/Gold-bevel Custom Shop Kelly from Lee Garver a few years back and said someone from the Jackson Custom Shop called him to verify he was the new owner for warranty purposes, because Lee had informed them of the sale.
          It's a stringthrough/TOM, as well (just to torture those who go for that kinda thing [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

It doesn't seem possible that the previous owners missed something like this. Improper intonation generally hits you right in the face when you come across it unless you are just strumming chords on the first few frets. Jim, can you hear the problem or does it just show up on the strobe.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              as Zerb stated, it wont cause problems normally
              but you tuned down half a step to Eb, and in sum of these 2 facts it causes problems now

[/ QUOTE ]
              Yes, tuning down can cause that problem where you'll need to extend the saddle to be in perfect intonation, but *usually* not if it's only a 1/2-step down (it's more typical when tuning lower than 1 step down). Though, I've got a hardtail Fender, I changed the stock 9-42 strings in E tuning to 10-46 in Eb and did have a problem with the low E string still being slightly sharp with the saddle back all the way. The only way to get it perfect is by cutting the little spring on the saddle screw or removing it completely so the saddle will go back flush against the back of the bridge.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Maybe Jim needs to tune that guitar to 440.

Comment

yeah, perhaps.... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Look at the way the Floyd screws stick out over the back edge of the recess?
                    That guitar was supposed to have a Schaller on it, guarantee it.

I've run into this problem before myself. Sam, find a gold Schaller and your troubles will be over.

Comment

The screws look fine to me. Looks like the angle at which the pic was taken makes them appear to hang over the edge.
                      -Rick

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I've run into this problem before myself. Sam, find a gold Schaller and your troubles will be over.

[/ QUOTE ]

+ a bajillion.
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I mentioned that above [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

2 solutions.

1. Stick a Schaller in there. Who really cares if the allen screws don't go back as far. It's better to have a guitar that intonates properly than to worry about such a small detail.

2. Take off the E, A and G saddles and shave them down at the back where they bottom out on the baseplate. Maybe you can get yourself an extra 1/16" adjustment. I wouldn't do it, but hey whatever works.
                            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

sorry to hear about that jim hope you get everything sorted out
                              Here I am

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's the angle of the pic. I think this one came with an OFR. It fits the recess rout perfectly. The screws do fit in the recess when you pull back on the bar. Keep in mind that the saddles are all the way back as far as they can go.

All that being said, I think a Schaller would help a little, but I don't think it would solve the problem. Remember, the sadle is as far back as it can go, but according to the tuner, it needs to go back further (only a little) to intonate properly. I still think shimming the neck is the way to go, but I'm not jumping into anything. I'm about to go noodlearound with it some more and see what I come up with.

Thanks for all the help and input! This place kicks ass!!!!!!!

I'll keep you all posted.
                                "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X