wierd intonation problem HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: wierd intonation problem HELP!

Is there an accurate way to determine if the nut is in the right position? I know it is a slim chance, but maybe the nut was installed in the wrong position, and is throwing everything else out of whack. Throw a capo on the first fret and redo all of your intonation checks with the strobe.

Comment

<font color="aqua">I REALLY wish I lived closer to you, bro, because this one is odd without being able to look at it. I can only imagine how you must be pulling your hair out over this and I'm sure by now you triple checked all your measurements right? </font>
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I am sure eyou can find a reference pic of a 24.75 guitar with a Floyd on it and just copy it.

[/ QUOTE ]

here you go ..90 USA Warrior 24.75 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

if you need another angle let me know [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
        MOSH ON
        DAVE
        "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

and these are from my 25.5 USA KE-2

the setup on both guitars is not the same, and both guitars are strobed and are intonated correct...
          hope this helps [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
          BTW just for shits and giggles have you tried a 25.5 neck to see what happens?

MOSH ON
          DAVE
          "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

What might be interesting is the measurement from the 12th fret to the front edge of the floyd to see if Jackson placed the studs consistently on short scale guitars.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Don’t know if this will make sense or not.... is that the original trem or did that come with a schaller jackson floyd?

I may be wrong… Because of the casting on the shaller don’t the knife edges push the trem back a tad further allowing for more sharp travel (away from the neck) in the saddle? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Just seems like I heard of this problem once before and that was the problem. The posts weren’t in the proper position and due to the minute amount they were off it created the flat problem with a floyd. However with the Schaller it was fine.

Just a thought… I may be very wrong.

Comment

I am the original owner of that guitar. I bought it brand new from drum city guitarland. I never had any problems with it at all. I traded it to someone and then it ended up on ebay and then seventhson got it. I know when he got it it was also perfect because he emailed me asking questions and saying how great the guitar was. This really surprises me. I dont know if it got messed up in shipping or what the hell this could be. I hope you figure it out because that is one bad ass guitar.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  What might be interesting is the measurement from the 12th fret to the front edge of the floyd to see if Jackson placed the studs consistently on short scale guitars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo! Thats the a sure way to check if it was a screw up at the factory. Mosh, can you measure from the center of the twelth fret to the center of the floyd studs? If it;s the same as mine, I have to look elsewere.

The nut is in perfect position. John, the saddles are that far back because that is where they need to be to be intonated properly (and then some).

I just heard from Parntz and he said that it had perfect intonation when he had it. Wierd.

There is no room to fill and redrill the floyd posts at all without re-routering the the Floyd recess. There is no way I am taking a router to that body. Don't worry, I'm not doing anything drastic yet.

I do want to say that I do not fault George in any way for this and he has offered many times to take the guitar back, but I won't do it. It's too damn nice. George has been a real stand up guy about this whole deal. I don't feel cheated in any way and I wouldn't go back if I could. I'm happy with it and I will find out what is wrong and fix it it if need be.

[ QUOTE ]
                  is it all possible that this was a flawed guitar that had the bridge located incorrectly?

[/ QUOTE ]

The more I look into it, I think that this is the case. If it is, I'll do what I need to to get it right. We're only talkiung about 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch.

AS far as if it had a Schaller originally? I suppose it could be. Were they still using them in 99?

Dave, Don't throw out the possibility of me coming out ot PA. to see you! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] This is makin me crazy!

The Mystery goes on.......
                  "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Jim, green is my favorite color. Holy crap is that guitar nice. Its now my computer background.

Comment

i think that we may have something with the schaller thing. here's an ofr and a schaller side by side, but lined up at the edge (EDIT: okay, maybe not perfectly lined up). see how far back the knife edge is on the floyd compared to the schaller?

jim, got a schaller? i think that might help a bit.

sully
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        i think that we may have something with the schaller thing. here's an ofr and a schaller side by side, but lined up at the edge (EDIT: okay, maybe not perfectly lined up). see how far back the knife edge is on the floyd compared to the schaller?

jim, got a schaller? i think that might help a bit.

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the Mounting distance on a Schaller is exactly 1/16" shorter than an OFR or a JT-6... doesn´tusually cause problems, but can... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, George is going to scan and send me a copy of the Work Order. That should tell if was originally an OFR or a Schaller. Wait! Paul, I forgot you were the original owner! Did this guitar come with an OFR or a Schaller?
                          "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            ... is that the original trem or did that come with a schaller jackson floyd?...

[/ QUOTE ]
                            exactly what popped my mind when i saw the warrior pics
                            i too think a schaller will be your solution

as Zerb stated, it wont cause problems normally
                            but you tuned down half a step to Eb, and in sum of these 2 facts it causes problems now

i have that problem quite often on floyds cause i tune down 4b to C-standard (with EB beefys 11-54)
                            thats why i prefer Kahler pros, you usually have more room to intonate them properly and even with the roller all the way back you wont loose the finetunefunction

cheers
                            andy

Comment

Just one little note: A Schaller won't look cool on that guitar, because it will not "fill out" the front recess. There will be a half inch gap at the butt side of the recess.

Comment

Jim, I emailed you a TIFF scan of the work order. Here's a JPG version on photobucket. As you can see, the original work order simply says Floyd.
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Working...
                                X