Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else install their strings "backwards? on a Floyd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
    I think it is a technique of stringing that was invented by some aging ex-rock star somewhere so he wouldn't stratch the headstock and devalue his only asset whilst he was suffering the DT's. It was probably quite successful, until he climbed back on the wagon and proceeded to fall down the stairs and snap the thing in two.

"You keep thinkin' Butch, thats what you do best."

"clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I've never tried stringing them with the ball end at the tuners. I have heard that it can damage the posts, so I never tried it. I don't know if I will try it, the standard method doesn't cause me any issues as it is. I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I was thinking about a similar question the other day after stringing my guitar up. For people who string up using the standard method what do other people do, if anything to avoid the sharp string ends? After I cut the slack off the string at the tuner, I make a 180 degree bend with in the leftover wire so that there's a smooth surface, rather than the sharp end. I don't remember where I pickup up that idea but it does work for me.
      Last edited by Sharkfin; 02-14-2012, 05:42 PM.

Comment

^I just trim the excess string as close as I can get to the post. As long as a person doesn't go jamming their fingers into the tuning posts that method works fine.

Comment

Oh you guys got to try it, its like buttah. better than all you can eat deep fried marshmellow peeps on superbowl sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            I always thought I looked a little retarded. :
            yea, well we are our own worst critics arent we?

Comment

I've never done it, and honestly, when I've seen it done, I thought it was the work of a rookie. It just always looked like a newbie that's afraid, or didn't know they could cut the string, and couldn't figure out how to use them with a Floyd.

Not calling you a rookie at all, but that was always my impression.

Whatever gets the job done.
              My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

I don't anymore, but I used to wrap the entire string around the tuner. This way because my trem abuse broke strings months before they would ever rust. I could then unwind more string, relock, and go. I just got to the point where I stopped playing the RG so much. Now the strings rarely ever break. So I'm back to

Comment

Working...
                X