Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else install their strings "backwards? on a Floyd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to do it, don't know when or why I stopped. I must have just kept winding the excess til I ran out of slack. These days I just stick the string thru the little hole once, thru the locking nut, and into the bridge block, and tighten. No fancy wrapping or dressing tricks here, that's why I use a locking nut.

The biggest PITA are those old slot style Fender tuners. The string keeps popping out. I do a half ass job on those two but my tele stays in tune pretty well. If it didn't have tiny frets and a 7.25" radius I'd seriously consider routing it for a OFR...and then post it on that tele forum. For a bunch of old farts they sure act like a bunch of little girls lol!

Comment

Have thought about it, but never have done it. I always like to go first wrap over, then the rest under. Is that how you are doing it? Can't tell in the pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
        The biggest PITA are those old slot style Fender tuners. The string keeps popping out. I do a half ass job on those two but my tele stays in tune pretty well. If it didn't have tiny frets and a 7.25" radius I'd seriously consider routing it for a OFR...and then post it on that tele forum. For a bunch of old farts they sure act like a bunch of little girls lol!
        LOL! Any strat I get I immediately "upgrade" to slot tuners I like the retro look. One set I got was the Eric Johnson ones where the post get shorter to the high E and you don't have to use a string T. very cool.

I was seriously considering leaving the ball ends on a firecrackle 5FX I put together last night but I was afraid you guys would bully me

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
          yea, but this way you only cut the strings once.
          OK then, I just think it looks stupid. Plus on heavier gauge strings, where the windings get thicker at the ball end, you do have to open the hole up on the E and A tuner to get right up to the ball. I've had to do this for people who insist on this method of stringing.

Comment

holy wah!! a controversial subject to each their own. I like it and think it looks nice.
            "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

All my guitars are "backwards".

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                LOL! Any strat I get I immediately "upgrade" to slot tuners I like the retro look. One set I got was the Eric Johnson ones where the post get shorter to the high E and you don't have to use a string T. very cool.

I was seriously considering leaving the ball ends on a firecrackle 5FX I put together last night but I was afraid you guys would bully me
                LOL sounds like a retro-grade to me...but ya they do work. Man, I love locking nuts...I do not have the patience for this shit, now I don't have to have it! Couple of turns and I'm in tune lol.

Comment

Added advantage is not having to put sharp wire cutters in the area
                  of the famously glossy headstock face.
                  Stick the ball end in, and be done with it.

No scratches!

Comment

I answered yes. I thought I was the only weirdo. I started doing it because while trimming tails once I managed to clip one of the strings at the same time. Felt like an idiot, so I changed the way I did it.
                    I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

To me it just makes sense. people can call me weird or retarded all they want ( I am used to it. ) and I just think it makes total sense. I cant see any disadvantages to it at all.

Comment

Retard!

I mean, "My brother the retard"!

Now...get out of sis's room!
                        I'm cold!
                        MY TURN.

Comment

Sup?

Guilty

MOSHON
                          DAVE
                          "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

But with Daddarios you now get that rainbow effect. And what's with that "environmentally friendly" packaging?

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
                              But with Daddarios you now get that rainbow effect. And what's with that "environmentally friendly" packaging?
                              yes, that rainbow effect makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. like the guitar strings are your friends.

Comment

Guilty! 20+ years, no probs with tuners either. I like the aesthetics.
                                "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Working...
                                X