Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else install their strings "backwards? on a Floyd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hell yes! And as you are all well aware, the extra mass at the headstock helps generate blues-rock chatter.

Comment

Nope....I have seen it and always thought it was kinda...a "fad" thing...I'm considering trying it now...god knows I wouldn't want to be different...
      -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

I used to do that, but using a guitar with a bar-style retainer (Strat-head) broke me of the habit quick. Never had any issues with it or messing up the tuners though.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogans View Post
          Hell yes! And as you are all well aware, the extra mass at the headstock helps generate blues-rock chatter.
          yes, that is most definately true. its the most inexpensive way to install blues rock chatter on guitars, see cuz you already paid for the strings, so they are in a sense, free. but most people just cut them off and throw them away not even realizing their full potential.
          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by dvscool View Post
            Nope....I have seen it and always thought it was kinda...a "fad" thing...I'm considering trying it now...god knows I wouldn't want to be different...
            come to the darkside, it is your destiny.

Comment

I couldn't go across to this method as I like to leave my strings uncut at the headstock, cos as we all know it gives added sustain..as well as looking bad ass ....

Comment

I don't do it for two reasons:

1) I don't like the fact that the wound ends need to bend around the post

2) I would rather pull a certain amount of string through the post to get the amount of wraps to be the same (or close)

Comment

Originally posted by Gartron View Post
                  I couldn't go across to this method as I like to leave my strings uncut at the headstock, cos as we all know it gives added sustain..as well as looking bad ass ....
                  it only looks cool if your wearing 16 penny nail arm bands like Kerry King. cuz if your not, then it looks like your a whimpy nerd just TRYING to look bad ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Rocks View Post
                    I don't do it for two reasons:

1) I don't like the fact that the wound ends need to bend around the post

2) I would rather pull a certain amount of string through the post to get the amount of wraps to be the same (or close)
                    with a little practice you can get the correct amount of wraps this way too. I get it right every time. it dont take but a few times to get the feel for judging how much string you need.

Comment

I've always put my strings on this way, but once tuned, I cut the excess off at the tuner.
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Rocks View Post
                        I cut them at the end of the saddle lock screw, keeps them even enough for me. Actually, if I string up the 'other' way I can't get them even at all. I thought this was to be a huge secret for a long time on double stop bends, sustain, and blues rock chatter...:think:
                        Last edited by Scooter; 02-14-2012, 02:01 AM.
                        "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

I used to but stopped years ago only because my low E is a 56 and will not go through the tuner hole at the ball end.

Other than that I did it for ages and loved the clean look and simplicity of string ups!

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter View Post
                            I thought this was to be a huge secret for a long time on double stop bends, sustain, and blues rock chatter...:think:
                            it is.

Comment

I think it is a technique of stringing that was invented by some aging ex-rock star somewhere so he wouldn't stratch the headstock and devalue his only asset whilst he was suffering the DT's. It was probably quite successful, until he climbed back on the wagon and proceeded to fall down the stairs and snap the thing in two.
                              You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

I always thought it looked a little retarded. I tried it once or twice to see how it would be, but I just went back to the normal way. Anyway, after learning on and playing Floyded guitars for many years, all I have now are guitars with fixed bridges!
                                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                                X