No announcement yet.

Rhoads Signature Marshall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Dolores and his family are getting money for this, fine. But the fact that this amp hasn't come out until 26 years after he died kind of belies the whole "signature" spiel.

Randy's dirt tone on Blizzard was that MXR Distortion+, which even then I thought was the shittiest sounding distortion around. His stuff sounded good DESPITE the tone, because of his playing, on that album.. That's no disrespect to Randy, quite the opposite.

Marshall using his name all these years later to sell a "sig" amp that was supposedly made to his specs, now that's disrespectful. I can't help thinking that if they had really had a sig amp in the works for Randy, it would have come out in the 80s, soon after his death. so this smells like a sham to me, even if the amp itself is awesome..

Maybe it's better to call it a tribute amp than a sig amp. Some may feel that's splitting hairs, but to sell it by saying Randy had input on this amp, well I just don't believe that. Like I said, no way they wouldn't have put out a Rhoads model Marshall in the 80s if they really had it in the pipeline when he died. One look at what happened for Jackson Guitars because of Randy and they'd have been stupid not to.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I think it's dishonest the way they're promoting this amp.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

• i think its cool. it sounds good on the clips. and looks real nice.
      why all the hate? i'm sure Delores is making a commision on them and Randy would like that. if i made it as a rock star and died early i'd hope that my legacy would pay for my parents retirement. wouldn't you?
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
        i think its cool. it sounds good on the clips. and looks real nice.
        why all the hate? i'm sure Delores is making a commision on them and Randy would like that. if i made it as a rock star and died early i'd hope that my legacy would pay for my parents retirement. wouldn't you?
        I already said that about Delores getting paid, but the hate is because Marshall is committing a fraud by saying this is an amp they were working on for and with Randy. Do you really think they'd have waited a quarter century to spring their Rhoads sig amp on us? It's bullshit.

If that were true, the amp would have hit the market the year Randy died or maybe the following year, not 26 years later. I don't believe their pitch for this amp. I'm sure the amp itself is bitchin', but I believe they're lying to milk his memory. I think that sucks.
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
          I already said that about Delores getting paid, but the hate is because Marshall is committing a fraud by saying this is an amp they were working on for and with Randy. Do you really think they'd have waited a quarter century to spring their Rhoads sig amp on us? It's bullshit.

If that were true, the amp would have hit the market the year Randy died or maybe the following year, not 26 years later. I don't believe their pitch for this amp. I'm sure the amp itself is bitchin', but I believe they're lying to milk his memory. I think that sucks.
          i'm pretty sure they started this amp because of pete unlocking the vaults which hold randy's gear for the upcoming documentary. since the rhoads family finally let someone into the vaukts, it was a great opportunity to take the specs of the amp. just my thoughts
          sigpic

Comment

• Yeah, I realize that, and I don't want to split hairs, but look at the othe sig amp, the Lemmy amp.

Well, Lemmy is here and alive to sign a deal with them. THAT's a sig amp.

Randy is not here and even if he had his amps "beefed up" by Marshall, if they had had a sig amp in the pipeline when he died it would have come out then, like the Jackson Rhoads did. Not 26 years later and approved by his mom, not him.

So, splitting hairs, if they called it a tribute amp that would be more appropriate and truthful. Calling it a sig amp implies that Randy signed off on a production model which again, if that were true they would have hit the stores in 1983 or so. It's not like Marshall wouldn't have known they had a deal with Randy just because his stuff was put in storage. Look at Dean and Krank with Dimebag, he died and they went full speed ahead with his sig gear anyway, right after he died.

That doesn't mean it's not a great amp, but calling it a sig model is a lie IMO. I guess Gibson can put out a white LPC now with Randy's name on the headstock and charge $10k for it and people will go for that too.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

• I have one of these amps on order, along with match 1960A and B cabs. Cant wait.

One of my clients was telling me only last week about how he met Jim Marshall at an in store signing in 1988. When it was his turn to approach the desk, he asked Jim what Randy Rhoads was like, and was he excited when he went to the Marshall factory to get his white amp?

The reply: Jim turned to someone next to him, asked something, to which that person shrugged his shoulders and shook his head. Jim then turned back and said he didnt know anyone called Randy.

Ive always thought it was interesting they recently claimed to remember Randy, when he wasnt anyone special at the time. No-one in the UK had heard of him, and Ozzy was considered to be a washed up no hoper. Just another long haired rocker buying the most popular rock amp of the time, at a factory producing thousands of amps a week.
              --
              Regards,
              Perry

www.ormsbyguitars.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                so I have to be a master chef to have the privilege to say if some food sucks or does not?
                gimme a break
                No, but I would expect that you would at least know how to microwave a frozen dinner, or maybe boil some water.

Comment

• I don't think Randy's tone on the studio albums is very good either. It (the tone) just sounds like Def Leppard's "High N Dry" album to me. Thin.
                  Still good music and playing, but not a good tone.
                  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by TurboLover View Post
                    No, but I would expect that you would at least know how to microwave a frozen dinner, or maybe boil some water.
                    so you are saying that no one here knows what's good guitar playing?
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

so you are saying that no one here knows what's good guitar playing?
                      Not at all, just that you probably can't boil water.

Comment

• Listen to the "Tribute" cd, that is closer to what we are talking about in terms of "tone" with his Marshall rig. Randy did have a unique tone even back in the QR days when he played through solid state amps (probably where that "tone" came from)! That became his signature sound (he was big on everyone finding their own style/sound). I think when he went to Ozzy and recorded BOO he carried that tone over from QR.

As with all great musicians he was ever evolving as a player and that includes his tone. I hope that people can agree on one thing, Randy's life was tragically cut short and he was far from reaching his potential. Most people only know his work with OZZY which is 2 cd's of studio work. Now 26 years after his death, we are still talking about and listening to the shy dude from California who only aspired to be an accomplished musician.

Comment

• Originally posted by TurboLover View Post
                          Not at all, just that you probably can't boil water.
                          and you can
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

and you can

Yeah, Duh MFer you know how water boils right chef? and it all kind of goes that same way genius . This is a joke post in anyway fellas, 03/19/08:ROTF:

Comment

• I listened to the Tribute CD and half those songs sound like Poison. Ozzy's weird metal voice saves them, but I find it odd that these albums are so revered. It's basically hair metal.
                              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
                                I listened to the Tribute CD and half those songs sound like Poison. Ozzy's weird metal voice saves them, but I find it odd that these albums are so revered. It's basically hair metal.
                                Yeah, Randy was heavily influenced by CC Deville

Comment

Working...
                                X