Summer NAMM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattsmusiccenter View Post
    Cool! Maybe they'll bring back the Charvette line next!
    Well, they probably would manage that quicker than just putting up a new f-n website..

Comment

Originally posted by mattsmusiccenter View Post
      Cool! Maybe they'll bring back the Charvette line next!
      Don't give them ideas :ROTF: It would probably be rebadged Squires with crappy single locking trems or something.

Thoses teles are nice, but yeah the price is a bit high, and I can't get too excited over a 9" radius fretboard. If it was a 12" radius I might consider it. Other than that it looks sweet!
      The price isn't bad, but I would expect it to be made in Japan. The 9" radius dhould be nice. I played a MIJ Fender Aerodyne that had that IIRC and it played nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson-Charvel View Post
        Thoses teles are nice, but yeah the price is a bit high, and I can't get too excited over a 9" radius fretboard. If it was a 12" radius I might consider it. Other than that it looks sweet!
        It is a 12" radius fretboard...

Edit: I just checked Fenders Website and it says 9.5" radius but I got it from the man himself, 12" radius. So I guess the website is wrong...
        Last edited by Bengal; 08-03-2007, 03:04 PM.
        I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
          It is a 12" radius fretboard...

Edit: I just checked Fenders Website and it says 9.5" radius but I got it from the man himself, 12" radius. So I guess the website is wrong...

Just curious if you would know (and probably do) why did he choose a Tele style? I like the body so I'm not meaning this as a "Oh god why that?" sort of thing, I'm just curious if it was a long standing thing he's wanted or if he went through other strats and charvels and this one just ended up feeling the best?

I'm always interested in peoples choices in what they put their name on. How the descision process worked. I'm guessing the answer will just be "He likes teles" but if there is more to it please tell
          In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
            Just curious if you would know (and probably do) why did he choose a Tele style? I like the body so I'm not meaning this as a "Oh god why that?" sort of thing, I'm just curious if it was a long standing thing he's wanted or if he went through other strats and charvels and this one just ended up feeling the best?

I'm always interested in peoples choices in what they put their name on. How the descision process worked. I'm guessing the answer will just be "He likes teles" but if there is more to it please tell
            Well, Jim has always been a Fender guy. His first "real" guitar was Charvel Model 2 in Electric Blue. He played that in his 2nd band Atomic Opera. That's the guitar I remember him by. But anyway, when he got older and got a little money by working a full time job, he bought a American Standard Strat. Sometime in the early-mid 90's. He played that Strat in the first incarnation of Stone Sour...

Fast forward to 1999 when Slipknot asked him to join. He wanted to go Fender but didn't think it looked metal enough, so he contacted Jackson and went with them. Most people don't know this but the SLSMG was going to be his signature model. He still has the custom shop model with an inlayed metal 4 behind the bridge. Cool as hell. But he had some quality issues with Jackson so that's when he went to PRS. The PRS thing didn't last too long...

Fast forward to Fender re-introducing the Charvel line. He remembers how much he liked his Model 2 and all the San Dimas that he scored so he contacts Fender and goes back with them. Well, the Charvel thing didn't work out so well either. So while we are out in LA recording "Come What(ever) May" he goes back to Fender. During the Subliminal tour he had bought a few Flathead Showmasters and Teles from the Custom Shop. Nice pieces. So he starts playing the Tele because he found the body to be very comfortable. Surprisingly comfy. So he starts using the Stagemaster less and less and relying on the Tele. The way he saw it was the Tele was comfortable and no one was really playing them. So they stuck...

In reality, he's a Strat guy. But the Tele just stuck and he thinks that's what most people think of when they think of Jim Roots guitar. There are not too many "modern" players playing Teles save John5, who he's good friends with. So he fit in that nitch...

Funny story. Slipknot toured with Metallica a couple of years ago in Europe. Metallica gave each member of Slipknot a sweet-assed hunting knife with a note of Thanks ingraved on the blade. Very cool. Well Jim took a poster from a show in London, I think, and had the whole band autograph it. Kirk wrote something to the effect of, "Go out there and Play that Tele!" Pretty cool...

Hope that long winded response answered your question. I can get wordy sometimes...
            I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
              Well, Jim has always been a Fender guy. His first "real" guitar was Charvel Model 2 in Electric Blue. He played that in his 2nd band Atomic Opera. That's the guitar I remember him by. But anyway, when he got older and got a little money by working a full time job, he bought a American Standard Strat. Sometime in the early-mid 90's. He played that Strat in the first incarnation of Stone Sour...

Fast forward to 1999 when Slipknot asked him to join. He wanted to go Fender but didn't think it looked metal enough, so he contacted Jackson and went with them. Most people don't know this but the SLSMG was going to be his signature model. He still has the custom shop model with an inlayed metal 4 behind the bridge. Cool as hell. But he had some quality issues with Jackson so that's when he went to PRS. The PRS thing didn't last too long...

Fast forward to Fender re-introducing the Charvel line. He remembers how much he liked his Model 2 and all the San Dimas that he scored so he contacts Fender and goes back with them. Well, the Charvel thing didn't work out so well either. So while we are out in LA recording "Come What(ever) May" he goes back to Fender. During the Subliminal tour he had bought a few Flathead Showmasters and Teles from the Custom Shop. Nice pieces. So he starts playing the Tele because he found the body to be very comfortable. Surprisingly comfy. So he starts using the Stagemaster less and less and relying on the Tele. The way he saw it was the Tele was comfortable and no one was really playing them. So they stuck...

In reality, he's a Strat guy. But the Tele just stuck and he thinks that's what most people think of when they think of Jim Roots guitar. There are not too many "modern" players playing Teles save John5, who he's good friends with. So he fit in that nitch...

Funny story. Slipknot toured with Metallica a couple of years ago in Europe. Metallica gave each member of Slipknot a sweet-assed hunting knife with a note of Thanks ingraved on the blade. Very cool. Well Jim took a poster from a show in London, I think, and had the whole band autograph it. Kirk wrote something to the effect of, "Go out there and Play that Tele!" Pretty cool...

Hope that long winded response answered your question. I can get wordy sometimes...

No no not long winded at all, thank you for the answer. I'm not going fan boy on it, I was honestly curious. I like the tele body, all be it with out the pick hard and neck pickup, but they are cool looking guitars. The line about the Fender not looking metal enough, I hate to say it but that was one of the first (not the first) think that came to mind. Not really if they looked metal but that not many metal guys play them. In fact him and Scott Ian I think are the only ones that really come to mind (real metal not hair metal, lots of the LA players had them I remember)

That's cool, I remember seeing a think on on demand (I think it was for guitar world) and he had a black tele basically using the selector as a kill switch.

Anyway again thanks for the responce, that's very cool info.
              In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Charvel has a new Japanese Model coming out.. gonna List at under 900..
                with duncans, san dimas specs, strathead, and OFR...
                Pics needed urgently

The suggested retail price will be 900? Cool.

Maple fretboard or Rosewood ?

Comment

that sounds awesome!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                  Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Working...
                  X