Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kahler Tremolos

[ QUOTE ]
    ...also i find myself snapping strings at the ball end on my kahler a lot...

[/ QUOTE ]
    WTF?
    never heard that before
    never ever happened to myself
    what do you do with them?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      personally i find kahlers far more responsive than floyds, there's less wood removed from the guitar, giving a better tone and sustain, floyds just look damned cooler, althought theres nowt particularly wrongwith kahlers...i also find my 87 jt6 stays in tune better than my 86 kahler but that could be due to wear and tear...also i find myself snapping strings at the ball end on my kahler a lot - more frequently than i would normally with any other guitar, so in that respect i think i'd take a floyd...

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">a little tip for this problem, the string claws are probably getting sharp edges on them from wear and when the string ball is in a certain position, the string claw acts like a cutting edge and snaps the string. Best thing to do is to deburr (smooth the sharp edges) on the string claws with a little needle file. It helped mine- [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font>
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

awesome any idea how much that'd cost to have done?

Comment

Personally I think I'm gonna go back to useing Khalers. More to come with pics.
          According To The Prophecy

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

An hour or so of your time. It's really not that hard to do.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

An hour or so of your time. It's really not that hard to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua"> [img]/images/graemlins/stupid.gif[/img] </font>
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Soldering the ball ends of your strings will also help a great deal with staying in tune better.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Soldering the ball ends of your strings will also help a great deal with staying in tune better.

[/ QUOTE ]

GHS makes a reinforced set that solves this problem. I've never tried them, but regular Boomers are the best strings I've found for Kahlers. Dean Markley Blue Steels snap like twigs at the ball ends.

Comment

Oh, yeah, GHS does make a reinforced set. I use regular Boomers all the time, but I don't really have a need for the reinforced version since I don't/won't use Kahlers.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

• Re: Kahler Tremolos

[ QUOTE ]
                      Funny .. the kahler guys don't rip the floyded product but the floyd guys rip the kahler product.. what's wrong with offering both ..it's all about flavor ..

[/ QUOTE ]
                      [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] maybe because John asked for feedback about Kahlers?

The reason why I bag on Kahlers is because more than a few times there was a guitar I would LOVE to have gotten but it had a goddamn Kahler Flatmount on it. Bitterness then would be the answer you looking for I suppose.

I played an old BC Rich Assassin with a Flyer (or was it a Spyder?) a few days ago. I liked it. Doesn't have the cosmetic problem of the flatmount and it seemed pretty stable but probably not as stable as the flatmount or a floyd. Definitely beats a Wilkinson though.

Comment

I have always haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaated Kahlers. Would never own one. Ever. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

I Luv Kahlers ever since I first used
                          them in 83?, I still have a Charvel model
                          3? with Kahler pro, used to have a Charvel
                          model 6 with Kahler pro, unfortuately sold
                          years ago, still have a polka dot model 6
                          neck thru but w/floyd. Here's a pic of the
                          Charvel Kahler.

Comment

I don't mind kahlers but if I had the option, I would go with the Floyd Rose. A Kahler never stopped me from buying a cool guitar. I still own several.

Comment

I accturally like the older Square looking Pro`s compared to the more rounder newer ones, but as long as the quality is good, it`s cool. Jack.

Comment

Even though I do admit there's alot of keepup on Kahlers, 3in1 oil on the rollers, greasing the side bearings once a year along with the replacing underside springs. Floyd once you dial it in your done, even though I do remove two springs &amp; tighten the mount to have a lighter touch like Kahler. [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X