Kahler Tremolos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kahler Tremolos

I am fine with kalhers (I have like 5 guitars with kalhers at the moment). However, I would not buy a new guitar with a kalher as 1) I have not like the quality I have seen on the newer (1999-2000) vintage models (I have not seen one of the newest incarnations ye) 2) they have a very nitch re-sale market. Based on my experience in recently selling kalhered guitars, I would be very surpised if anyone would shell out the coin $1200 plus for a new charvel/jackosn with a kalher if they saw one in a store. The reality is that most people who go to and work in music stores today have no idea what a kalher is.

Dont get me wrong, I think it is very cool that this is being offered as a custom option. However, I think it would be a big mistake to start cranking out production guitars with kalhers for Guitar Center etc. They just will not sell. Now if you start giving out kalhered guitars to guys like Jim Root - that could change everything [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Start by putting them on the Pro models or myabe a Jackson USA Student model again. Jack.

Comment

I guess if there good enough for Gary Pihl they should be good enough for anyone huh? Just pulled out Guitar for the Practicing Musician, January 85. The back cover has Gary Pihl of Sammy Hagar with his Kahler in Concert Series.

Did Mr. Pihl ever do anything after Sammy Hagar?
        http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

The only Kahler's I would prefer are the Fulcrum series (Spyder, Killer and Steeler) which are basically Floyd style trems.

If we are talking Kahler cam trems then a big HELL NO!!!! 1) They are ugly 2) They engineered these so to retro fit any guitar you have to carve a hole the size of texas to mount it, so once you decide to go Kahler there is no going back without BONDO, so you're basically married to the Kahler at that point.

To continue that point I never understood why Kahler never utilized the drop in Floyd Rose for Gibson type trem but perfecting that idea. 1) Drop in replacement no routing required. 2) Looks much better than a typical Kahler cam model 3) adjustable springs for tension on bottom of mounting plate. 4) no need for 12 models that arent interchangeable.

Comment

I have a Kahler on my Performance gutar and my Rhoads is supposed to have one and will be re-fitted with one one day, so yes. I would bu a Kahler. I have 5 Floyds, so mor kahlers would be a good thing!

I like the fact that they roll on bearing. R2s! They are used in a number of aircraft instruments!

Comment

Mr.Napalm,

Mr.Pihl joined Boston after they "reunited".I am not sure if he is still there or not....

Steve
              Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

I like Kahlers. In fact thats what I ordered on my custom shop 24 fret Rhoads back in 99. Kahler Pro! I have plenty of guitars with Kahlers as well as Floyds. And while I like them both, the Kahlers have been more reliable over the years than the Floyds. And although many complain about the Kahler behind the nut location, it has not presented any tuning problems for me but if you want to change it to a Floyd style nut thats fine. I have also never had any strings pop out of the Kahler during use so not locking at one end was also never a big deal to me.I'm talking about the Kahler Pro here not the Flyer by the way.
                And yes Gary Pihl did do something after Sammy Hagar. He was in Boston touring and was on their last album, Corporate America [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Rudy
                Rudy
                www.metalinc.net

Comment

i trust my ears
                  kahler anyday [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

options would be fine, but no production models. the last thing jackson needs is a bunch of kids looking at the import section and going "what the fuck is that ugly hunk of metal?! screw jackson, im getting an ibanez"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      options would be fine, but no production models. the last thing jackson needs is a bunch of kids looking at the import section and going "what the fuck is that ugly hunk of metal?! screw jackson, im getting an ibanez"

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk about a big hunk of freakin' metal...

VS

And let's not forget you have to route out 3x more wood for that bridge than you do a Kahler.

On my Big Red, there was sooo little wood left between the pickup routes and the trem route they actually drilled through in one spot. Clearly the Floyd is much better [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img].

And ya know, that really doesn't look that lean and mean to me either:
                      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Bengal651, I can almost guarantee you the problem was the string lock. On Jackson and BCR pointies, the string angle of the G, B, and E strings keep them from sitting under the blocks. I've found you have to pull the strings straight through the lock, lock it down, and then fine tune. A major PITA, which is why I switched to the flip locks wherever I could.

[/ QUOTE ]
                        I did switch to the flip locks and nothing changed. I experimented with various clamping pressures. I also tried graphite in the string slots in the nut along with "Guitar Grease" I obtained from StewMac. Nada!
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

hippietim: It's a subtle difference that has a big visual effect... the Kahler is like a big square block, whereas the Floyd just looks leaner. Granted, not much leaner, but it is leaner. And because it doesn't look like a square block, looks nicer too.

Comment

so you think those big honkin' Ibanez bridges look leaner? yowza.
                            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

personally i find kahlers far more responsive than floyds, there's less wood removed from the guitar, giving a better tone and sustain, floyds just look damned cooler, althought theres nowt particularly wrongwith kahlers...i also find my 87 jt6 stays in tune better than my 86 kahler but that could be due to wear and tear...also i find myself snapping strings at the ball end on my kahler a lot - more frequently than i would normally with any other guitar, so in that respect i think i'd take a floyd...

Comment

It's the shape, not the size.

Because the Floyd has got that taper/cut-out at the end as opposed to the Kahler's square block shape.... even if the Floyd is much larger than it is now, it'll probably still look "leaner" than the Kahler.

Comment

Working...
                                X