Jackson PC1 - New vs. Used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson PC1 - New vs. Used

Debating whether to buy new or used, any opinions? Love the new stratheads, but it seems these gtrs sell way cheaper when used, appreciate any feedback.

Re: Jackson PC1 - New vs. Used

I've hardly ever bought new guitars. I think it's kind of pointless to pay an additional $1000 (usually) and it wouldn't really be brand new unless you got it shipped directly from the factory since chances are anywhere else it'll have been played or on display. So I suppose you should buy a new one though if it's that worth it to you to know that it's new and has the headstock. The downside of buying used however is depending on where you get it, there could be some details left out and you won't be able to try it out either.
    If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table.

Comment

I'm with you, and it seems the resale value on the PC-1 is especially weak as compared to other J/C models. Is it me or has anyone else noticed this as well?

Comment

Define weak.
        Used ones bring in around $1,200 to $1,500 pretty consistantly. Just depends on the particular finish and condition.
        I got my 2004 PC1 brand new for $1,400.
        You can get a brand new one for around $1,700 to $2,000 if you know the right people.
        List price is garbage... only a fool pays list.
        -Rick

Comment

Point taken rj. $1400 new is a no-brainer deal (congrats!), and about $500 less than the best deal I've seen so far, so I'm obviously not looking hard enough. I've seen 1-2 year old ones trading for around $1200, so if someone paid close to $2k and had to sell they're likely taking a bath, so to your point, the key is buying at the right price.

Any aggressive dealer names you can share?

Comment

Just see the HUGE link at the top of the screen.
            I personaly haven't made a purchase from him, but I hear he will hook you up right.
            My PC1 came from Bizzare Guitar in Las Vegas.
            They were clearing out 2004 stock for the 2005 models.
            -Rick

Comment

Most of my guitars were purchased new. I don't like dents, scratches etc. But that's just me. I have several guitars that were purchased over 30 years ago new and they still look new. I have some used guitars that I worked on to get almost new. Too me, it is worth buying new for this reason. Also, over the 40 years I've been buying and playing guitars, I rarely if ever sell one. So,once it's mine I keep it. Manufacture's such as Martin offer a lifetime unlimited warranty. The '70 D12/35 I have has been to the factory for repair 3 times and 2 times to a local luthier. No charge. Now a used one, I'd have to pay. For PC1's I always buy new especially because they are my favorite Jackson to play.
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I'm a nut about clean guitars too, but with 2 little ones running around the house I'm learning to re-think that. Bought a mint Charvel 6 months ago, babied it, kept in case mostly, left it on a stand one day and came home to a gut-punching ding, now I hang them high up on my walls when not in case, but the munchkins' destructive instincts are so sharp I'm sure they'll figure out a way...

Your Martin story is a great reason to pay up for them. Over the life of a guitar the value of those repairs can be pretty significant, helpful to think about when considering an acoustic, too bad none of the electrics have lifetime warranties (or do they?)

Hear you on going new with the PC1, but even with a used I'd want something minty, and in either case it'd be hung high up on my wall if it ever saw daylight outside the case!

Comment

and new ones have strat headstocks which has a good chance of having more value in the long run than the old fugly-headstock ones [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] whether that matters to you or not, is a different story...

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I prefer the strat headstocks too, but only to a limit. Not sure I'd pay $600 extra just for a different headstock, like Charvel's new strathead upcharge, and coincidentally about the same price difference currently between a mint used PC-1 and a new one...

Comment

strathead upcharge is 300$ and it's a list price
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I've heard both numbers, but that sounds more reasonable.

Comment

I prefer to buy used for the obvious economic reasons. You may have to live with a ding or two, but it saves you the heartbreak of putting the first one on yourself. If the PC1's electronics are covered by the limited lifetime warranty (?), I would consider that option. If it craps out, I imagine a sustainer is pretty pricey to replace?

Comment

Unfortunately the electronics (sustainer) are only covered for 1 year.
                            This truely sucks considering how much the guitar costs and the fact that Jackson will not sell you a replacment unit.
                            The good thing is, there are suitable replacement sustainers out there for less than $250.
                            -Rick

Comment

i would buy a PC-1 new, especially if you are going to use the sustainer. i have 2. one was bought new, the other used. i have had susutainer issues with both. one is gutted and sustainer less, the other i just suffer with the "whistling" that the sustainer does.
                              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X