Help identify/value 87 bolt on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identify/value 87 bolt on.

Hey guys I have a guy wanting to trade me an 87 Jackson USA bolt on for my Ibanez S5470 prestige. Problem is, there aren't many for sale or much info I can find as to value.

Red
    35xx serial
    Floyd
    Single hum- emg with some kind of pp pot for a boost.
    Three knobs. master tone , volume, boost.
    Lightly scalloped rosewood fretboard.

I would have an idea of the value, however its been possibly modded, unless they ever scalloped fretboards at the factory.
    If anyone could let me email them the pics I have to post them, that would be great.

INHERENTLY the Jackson is a handmade, custom, American instrument. INHERENTLY the Ibanez is a Japanese production model. From a "value" perspective, that alone is probably enough evidence for most Jackson fans here to instantly vote in favor of the Jackson. (People here know I enjoy both brands, own American and Japanese Jacksons/Charvels, own Japanese pre-Prestige Ibanezes, and try to evaluate every guitar on its own merits.)

To post photos, choose any free image hosting service (https://www.google.ca/search?newwind....0.tf-luIXsPVw). I personally enjoy https://imgur.com/. Upload your photos to your chosen service, copy the links that they generate for you, and paste them here on the JCF in your next reply.

Comment

value

Pics on their way.

Not interested in others opinions on Jackson vs Ibanez.
      They are both great guitars no doubt. I have many high end guitars and I'm not brand loyal to anyone and buy guitars based strictly on how they feel and play.

This is strictly a value based thread. The reason I question the Jackson value is the scallop and overall condition.

Comment

pics

Comment

Comment

Those frets look like they could need some crowning.

Comment

Success. Nice pics. Congrats on the photo upload.

Something that jumped out at me is that the OFR is not original to the guitar. The guitar came fitted with a Jackson JT6 tremolo. The trem studs are still the original JT-6 trem studs, which can be reused when swapping for a Floyd, but JT6 unit itself was replaced with the OFR seen in the photos. The JT6 was common. 90s production models had the Schaller JT590 as standard equipment. The Original Floyd Rose came even later as standard equipment.

I can't really comment on the remainder. Hopefully more of the vintage experts here can contribute more information and provide value.

Comment

Didnt some of the early models have OFRs aswell?

Comment

Originally posted by ed View Post
                  Didnt some of the early models have OFRs aswell?
                  The only way to get a Floyd on a new guitar was if the buyer bought the Floyd and sent it to Jackson when they were building the guitar.
                  Kramer had an exclusive on Floyd trems for a few years, which is why the JT-6 was offered instead of a Floyd.
                  The guitar has obviously been modified by previous owner(s).
                  Scallop job appears to have been done later as you can see some of the dot markers are (17th, and 19th) appear to be partially sanded away.
                  -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                    The only way to get a Floyd on a new guitar was if the buyer bought the Floyd and sent it to Jackson when they were building the guitar.
                    Scallop job appears to have been done later as you can see some of the dot markers are (17th, and 19th) appear to be partially sanded away.
                    My exact thoughts on these two points .

Any thoughts on value?
                    Just realized I put this in the carvel USA sub. maybe a mod can move it?

Comment

rjohnstone beat me to it regarding the Floyd & Kramer relationship of that era.

Again, my vintage metal guitar history is shaky, so I can't really write a detailed essay with exact dates and facts... but for double-locking Floyd-type trems, this is why you see JT6 tremolos on Jacksons/Charvels of the era, Synclair tremolos on ESP guitars of the era, and Edge tremolos on Ibanez guitars of the era.

In the current landscape, of the three brands listed above, only Ibanez continues to equip their guitars with their own tremolos under license to Floyd Rose patents, instead of fitting their guitars with factory Floyds. Whereas, Jackson/Charvel and ESP are fitted with Floyd Rose products when a double-locking trem is needed.

Comment

I love the Ibanez zr term on the Ibanez.
                        It stays in tune better than any Floyd I have. (all ofr)

Anyone notice the dowel in the cavity cover? is this really how "made on order" Jacksons left the shop in the 80s?

I see no evidence of another screw hole.

Also, id like to add that I haven't seen this guitar in person.

Comment

why is my Ibanez up for sale/trade if I like it so mu

ive wanted to learn to play guitar for over ten years and always put a half assed effort into doing it and never got anywhere plus randomly having kids with my wife.

About a year and a half ago I tried again a took it seriously this time and got pretty good pretty fast. So now I want to play all the guitars I could have been playing for the last ten years. So while I have two ill never sell, the rest I buy and sell on a regular basis. I love all guitars from cheap to really expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by jwpjr View Post
                            Anyone notice the dowel in the cavity cover? is this really how "made on order" Jacksons left the shop in the 80s?

I see no evidence of another screw hole.
                            Jackson used a behind-the-nut lock back at that time. Looks like someone converted it to an OFR nut but left it still behind the regular nut which isn't necessary.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              Jackson used a behind-the-nut lock back at that time. Looks like someone converted it to an OFR nut but left it still behind the regular nut which isn't necessary.
                              I'm not an expert by any means. But I don't think you're right there.
                              I see no evidence of a behind the nut locker unless they mounted them on tip of the truss cover and used the same holes.

I'm talking about the dowel in the electronics cover.

Comment

Working...
                              X