Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did Jackson stop their 3 ply maple neck thru ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree with prior comments that the Pearly Gates is a good neck pickup, but not for the bridge position. In a similar vein, doubt I'd be a fan of the screaming demon, etc. Not my preferences, although honestly I have no experience with those pickups. I just prefer medium or medium-hot like PUs in the bridge.

Like goldilocks said, "not too hot, not too cool - just right!" LOL

Comment

I've got a Little Screamin' Demon in my G&L Strat, and it's nice. It's one of the few single-coil-size humbuckers that actually sounds similar to its full-size version. It's slightly similar to a '59, just a tiny bit more output.
      I also do have a pair of '59s in my Mark Morton Dominion (first year when they still used '59s as stock) that also sounds really nice. I normally prefer hotter pickups, but they do the job well with a high-gain amp or pedal pushing them.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I believe my now long gone special edition Korina Soloist had the 3 piece. I sold it many years ago. That was the lightest soloist I ever had.

Comment

Didn't you have one of those mahogany single hums with iron cross inlays too?
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

My '06 Mark Morton is three-piece mahogany with a scarf joint. It's also got a chambered body, but the neck is all the way through.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
              I believe my now long gone special edition Korina Soloist had the 3 piece. I sold it many years ago. That was the lightest soloist I ever had.
              Damn ! A korina soloist version ? That be tastefully....

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                My '06 Mark Morton is three-piece mahogany with a scarf joint. It's also got a chambered body, but the neck is all the way through.
                Does your morten signature with chambered sound brighter with lesser lowend being chambered by nature ? How much chambered on your guitar....

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                  "Full depth" is where the wood blank they use for the neck and center piece of the body is the full depth - front to back - of the body itself. On the neck side, that obviously wastes a fair bit of wood. (Which is roughly only half as deep.) In the 90s (I think), they started using a shallower neck blank, and glued in another piece of wood for that center piece on the back of the body. You can see this showing on trans finishes near the back strap pin, as the maple neck piece usually shows through the trans finish lighter than the alder or mahogany body wood does.
                  Below is an illustration of shreddermon's explanation of the shallow neck blank.

From the 2013 Jackson catalog, page 20-21 of 80 (https://issuu.com/jacksonguitars/doc...uitars-catalog), we can see a transparent KE2 with the half-depth neck terminating at the heel of the guitar. The maple neck is bright green (matching the bright green of the figured maple top) in sharp contrast to the darker green piece of alder that is under it (as well as the darker green alder body wings).

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 11-22-2017, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hopkinsWFG View Post
                    Does your morten signature with chambered sound brighter with lesser lowend being chambered by nature ? How much chambered on your guitar....
                    It's got a nice, full sound, lightweight, no loss of low end. How much chambering, I have no idea. I don't think they've ever showed a pic of the inside of one before the top is put on.

Comment

J009x, j030x, and j047x 3piece necks. J082x doesnt, look like its a 3 piece. Not sure when they stopped and switched to the scarf.

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                        Didn't you have one of those mahogany single hums with iron cross inlays too?
                        Yes Sir. I have a bunch of one-off Soloists. Time and money caused me to sell them all including all my USA Jacksons, down to just 1 Jackson Professional Fusion H-H. If the new Jacksons weren`t so expensive now, I`d order another one, but mine would have to be Masterbuilt, not paying that craziness.

Comment

Originally posted by hopkinsWFG View Post
                          Damn ! A korina soloist version ? That be tastefully....
                          It was a special edition of 1 Soloist, with a MOP Soloist on the 12the fret!!

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
                            It was a special edition of 1 Soloist, with a MOP Soloist on the 12the fret!!
                            Pics please !

Comment

I wish I still had pics but I lost all of my custom Soloist pics and all of my long gone USA Jacksons. I had other unique USA Jacksons as well, like Fusions and Marty Friedman Warriors. I suck for selling them!

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                                No, they're not. In fact, I just got a custom all-mahogany Soloist (quilt top) a few months ago, and it is not full depth. It's a partial-depth mahogany neck with a mahogany body-center piece sandwiched between the mahogany body wings.
                                Originally posted by CaptNasty View Post
                                I have a natural oiled Custom Shop Soloist that has a Mahogany neck and body. It was produced in June 2017. Being a natural finished guitar, it is easy to see exactly how it was made. It is not full depth.
                                I did have a natural 08 or an early 09 SL2H-MAH where you could see the join well: https://1drv.ms/i/s!AtEKygYgoFC4hYNZLnRkQ9cQbLmqKw

I now have a '12 SL2H-MAH in trans black where it's much more difficult to determine the construction as the back is black. I can't make out a separate laminate on the back though, whereas it's easy to see (and even feel) on my alder, maple SL2H (regular black).

Comment

Working...
                                X