Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did Jackson stop their 3 ply maple neck thru ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1b4n3z View Post
    I did have a natural 08 or an early 09 SL2H-MAH where you could see the join well: https://1drv.ms/i/s!AtEKygYgoFC4hYNZLnRkQ9cQbLmqKw

I now have a '12 SL2H-MAH in trans black where it's much more difficult to determine the construction as the back is black. I can't make out a separate laminate on the back though, whereas it's easy to see (and even feel) on my alder, maple SL2H (regular black).
    Wow ! Nice soloist collection there ! But am looking too for a sl2h transblack with nice flames if you letting go in pristine condition please let me know hahah...

I gotta natural mah sl2h too its dated 2011 from the tag... its a solid center piece ! Its a nice guitar but i felt the fret dressing could have been better its kinda rough on the edges compared to my kxk and even my kiesel vader...no idea if you guys have same thoughts on jackson fret dress as me thou...
    Last edited by hopkinsWFG; 11-30-2017, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hopkinsWFG View Post
      Wow ! Nice soloist collection there ! But am looking too for a sl2h transblack with nice flames if you letting go in pristine condition please let me know hahah...
      Cheers mate I really like these - massive tones (and weight!)

This black one is just perfect - according to the previous owner it is an endorsement guitar for a rather famous European metal band guitarist, haven't verified it though
      Last edited by 1b4n3z; 11-30-2017, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1b4n3z View Post
        Cheers mate I really like these - massive tones (and weight!)

This black one is just perfect - according to the previous owner it is an endorsement guitar for a rather famous European metal band guitarist, haven't verified it though
        This pic is just so sweet ! The flame reminds me of my sl2h transblack i used to have...

Btw you can perhaps check on the inside trem cavity or pickup cavity if its a full depth ? But its like unless the cavities are not painted black

Comment

Originally posted by hopkinsWFG View Post
          This pic is just so sweet ! The flame reminds me of my sl2h transblack i used to have...

Btw you can perhaps check on the inside trem cavity or pickup cavity if its a full depth ? But its like unless the cavities are not painted black
          Sorry it took awhile - I only just did a bit of maintenance (put an Alnico 8 in the JB; it was nearly perfect with the stock A5 but I wanted just a bit more thunder and authority from it - and I got it)

The cavities are painted black so I can't be 100% sure but I didn't see any hint of the neck NOT being full depth thru.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
            Some people will argue that the tremolo route interrupts the neck running through the whole length of the body, and are thus not true "neck throughs", but I'm not one of them.
            Actually, in Jackson's construction, the "Neck thru" is cut off at the first pickup cavity

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
            Some examples - very early SL2H-MAHs, Y2KVs, KV2Ts. These models had a period where they were built with 3-piece necks (no scarf joint), then - briefly - 3-piece necks with scarf joints, then 1-piece partial-depth necks. Both of the 3-piece neck versions would be full-depth. But I'm talking like back into the 90s here.
            Y2KV wasn't available in the 90's, and I'm not sure the SL2H-MAH was either

~

Personally what I'd love to see Jackson do, instead of glueing on wings and a small back centerpiece on the neck, is route a gully in a 1-piece body and glue the shallow neck in that.
            making it a 2-piece construction (disregarding a multiple-piece neck). But I guess this would require very precise routing
            "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
              Y2KV wasn't available in the 90's, and I'm not sure the SL2H-MAH was either
              Correct, it was early 2000s. Doh!

Comment

Working...
              X