Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did Jackson stop their 3 ply maple neck thru ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting conversation. I've got a custom shop mahogany soloist that is full depth. Always wondered how common a spec it is...

Comment

I will take a snap shot of my sl2h mah back body...and to my vague recollection i think its a full depth...

But i still recall off from a luthier words as said a neck thru will sound more on emphasis of the wood used on the neck... where a bolted on or set neck will have tone emphasis more of the wood from the body...

Thus the new process from regular alder which has a back plate covering the neck thru and body sides... i am not sure if its tonal character will be based on the alder back or still on the thinner maple neck thru...

Comment

Opinions, not facts. IMHO at least. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
          Interesting conversation. I've got a custom shop mahogany soloist that is full depth. Always wondered how common a spec it is...
          Depends on the build era, as the construction methods evolved with time. Earlier guitars: common. More recent guitars: not so much. Again, there are always exceptions and customer-spec'd customs.

Comment

Originally posted by 1b4n3z View Post
            Mahogany soloists are 'full depth' for some reason
            I have a natural oiled Custom Shop Soloist that has a Mahogany neck and body. It was produced in June 2017. Being a natural finished guitar, it is easy to see exactly how it was made. It is not full depth.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptNasty View Post
              I have a natural oiled Custom Shop Soloist that has a Mahogany neck and body. It was produced in June 2017. Being a natural finished guitar, it is easy to see exactly how it was made. It is not full depth.
              Hi appreciate your input.. but do you mind show a pic of your guitar back ? And the heel portion ?

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                Depends on the build era, as the construction methods evolved with time. Earlier guitars: common. More recent guitars: not so much. Again, there are always exceptions and customer-spec'd customs.
                Mine is a 2007. I'm guessing it's not that common from that era. It's a 3 piece mahogany neck. It's also a speed neck profile, so they wasted even more of the wood

Comment

Definitely. Sounds like a custom shop order or special run. And a keeper.

Comment

Definitely a keeper. My absolute favorite guitar.

Comment

Ah, well that's a Custom Shop, so full depth / 3 piece neck / unobtainium frets are all options. But the production guitars have had the 'shallow' neck blank for a long time now.

That's a beautiful guitar!
                      Popular is not the same as good
                      Rare is not the same as valuable
                      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Thanks!

Yeah, I know they're available options, I'm just curious how often people order the full depth on a custom shop. I didn't spec this one out, and I don't think I would have thought of asking for full depth, but it is a cool feature.

Comment

I guess it would be pretty rare that people order full depth because it would (probably) be a master built only feature, and it seems like 99% of custom shop orders are Custom Select now. I'm not sure it would really make that much difference to the sound of the guitar though. A 3 piece neck would add stability, but that's been rare for over 30 years..
                          Popular is not the same as good
                          Rare is not the same as valuable
                          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I remember those. There were a few made in that same finish. Most had chrome hardware, looks like your's got black. Great looking guitars. Definitely a keeper.

Yeah, it's not often a customer orders a full depth or multi-piece neck. Especially with the masterbuilt charge in recent years. I did it a couple of times for my Kellys, both have 3 piece necks. IMHO, not much of a difference in tone, but the necks are much more stable and sustain more. Plus it looks cool. If you're already going masterbuilt, it's worth the upgrade for the option. But I wouldn't go MB just for that.

Comment

Originally posted by hopkinsWFG View Post
                              Hi appreciate your input.. but do you mind show a pic of your guitar back ? And the heel portion ?

https://i.imgur.com/u40CzvX.jpg
                              Last edited by CaptNasty; 11-18-2017, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                                I remember those. There were a few made in that same finish. Most had chrome hardware, looks like your's got black. Great looking guitars. Definitely a keeper.
                                Mine had chrome hardware when I got it. I switched it to black.

Comment

Working...
                                X