My "new" and very confusing LTD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My "new" and very confusing LTD

Been awhile for posting but, I came across this, broke my bank, and I would love to find out more about it. Made in 2000 it is an LTD hardtail I picked up at the Music Zoo. I always wanted an LTD but hated the floyds and v-trems (not my bag). Here's a pic.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

I was told: Custom shop, Mike Shannon built, the one Zakk owns is from the same lot,and the music zoo didn't want to talk much. Saw another on here (all mahogany) and its owner said a run of 6 hardtails. Jackson (fender) couldn't give me much info and suggested I search here. Well that's all I know, it's dead on a LTD outside an LTD run, which is supposedly a no-no. Good playing and sounding, my Pablo Santana is a little nicer. Thanks!
    www.JerryRobison.com
    '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

congrats.... looks like fun.

Comment

It's got a tunomatic bridge and NOT a hardtail. Nice guitar, though.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I thought "hardtail" just indicated immovable bridge? String-through tunomatic...I think the old style brass bridge like on my '84 Rhoads would look nicer.
        www.JerryRobison.com
        '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Right, string thru hardtail with tunomatic......I will do some digging.

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2698816&type=3

Comment

Right, that is the "exact" tribute relic, still created within a LTD run if I am not mistaken. And doesn't the "LTD" run mean that a portion of the proceeds go to the Rhoads estate? I heard that there was litigation talk over these guitars (ltd created outside the ltd runs) by the estate. Wouldn't that mean this LTD run is the most limited of all? It's all very confusing.
              http://www.themusiczoo.com/category/...ing-V-Guitars/

this also says duplicating the 25th anni is off limits, which except for the bridge, isn't it pretty damn close?
              www.JerryRobison.com

Comment

Originally posted by TurboTony21 View Post
                Right, string thru hardtail with tunomatic......I will do some digging.
                Again, NOT a hardtail. This is a HARDTAIL bridge.
                hardtail.jpg

Comment

Ok Toe, I see you are hear to correct........May I ask what you think a hard tail vs string thru is??...does the strat HT string THRU the body. You either have a Hardtail or you do not.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wrap...=1920&bih=1099

I wanted to just stick to the thread but Toe seems to go thru life picking apart slang.

BTW, the bridge you post is a STRING THRU HARDTAIL
                  Last edited by TurboTony21; 08-13-2013, 02:04 PM.

Comment

The regular hardtail usually strings through the body, but there are some where the strings go through the back end of the bridge by the saddle adjustment screws. Either way, if you ask for a guitar to be made with a hardtail, you better specify, because it looks exactly like the pic I showed and is not a tunomatic bridge. Hardtail is not the correct term for just any fixed bridge guitar.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the education. Being somewhat of a mechanical engineering type I attributed it to fixed (not moving) and did not differentiate but, if others do, I can update my terminology. So....back to this guitar..what gives? An LTD with a tunomatic...What's the story?
                      www.JerryRobison.com

Comment

Originally posted by TurboTony21 View Post
                        Ok Toe, I see you are hear to correct

I wanted to just stick to the thread but Toe seems to go thru life picking apart slang.
                        It's not picking things apart, it's educating people about the right terms to use. Better to be wrong now and have somebody fill you in than order a guitar and get the wrong bridge because you didn't know the right terminology.
                        Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard-tail

Comment

Just so we are all clear, I own this guitar already. No mistakes to make on the ordering. Ignorance is easily overcome, doesn't happen too frequently in terms of guitars for me though, so I am thankful for the correction Toe. As long as it is NOT a trem unit, I'm good. I think I am also wondering if I should put this guitar in a case and consider it an investment, like I have with some of my old Les Pauls. It's perfect, not a scratch and 13 yrs old, somewhat rare although somewhat undocumented as to being rare. :think:
                            www.JerryRobison.com

Comment

So, If I call PRS or Gibson and order a "HardTail" they will put on a strat HT bridge???

The builder would ask....wrap around hardtail?....never strat Hardtail.

Hard Tail simply simply means its strings are anchored to the body behind the bridge.

Comment

Working...
                              X