No announcement yet.

NGD - I almost love the PC1..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome guitar !!! Phil's seems like a super guy. I wished he played slower, melodic chops...that's his element IMO.

That guitar absolutely rules ..with that vid of Phil playing and signing it. Well, that up'd the value for sure.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
      Awesome guitar !!! Phil's seems like a super guy. I wished he played slower, melodic chops...that's his element IMO.
      Agreed. His shredding is like my shredding: fast, nervous, sloppy and embarrassing. ;p

That being said, awesome guitar. LOVE the finish on it.

Comment

Ian, . I think you'll be VERY happy with the Tone Zone and Chopper in that guitar. They sound great in my '95 SD-III trans-green quilt maple over Walnut w/ Floyd. It's actually the nicest looking guitar I own...so it doesn't get much play. I'm silly like that. I'd like to have something with a sustainer tho.

That finished and top looks amazing! Oh, I love the reverse strathead too! That's the cherry on the sundae IMO!

Edit; Yes, that does remind me of the primo PRS tops...ummm rootbeer finish?
        Last edited by horns666; 08-06-2012, 12:49 AM.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by fullmetalguitar View Post
          I don't understand this at all. Jackson won't make a 24 fret soloist/strathead with 2 hums and no sustainer? Seriously?
          Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
          Uhhhmm, do you guys realize that this can all be done, and with no PC1-related limitations? Just order it as a custom shop Charvel, instead.
          A few years ago this wasn't possible. A custom Jackson guitar was not possible with Strat headstock and a custom Charvel guitar was not possible with 24 frets. That's what I've been told. Shreddermon, I know that they did a 24 fret Charvel for you, but that was a bit later.

Comment

In February of 06 I ordered a custom 24 fret Charvel Strathead dinky. Basically a Jackson with a Strat headstock. In Feb 2010 I tried to order a Jackson and was told it had to be like the PC1, with sustainer and H/S/S config.
            http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
              Awesome guitar !!! Phil's seems like a super guy. I wished he played slower, melodic chops...that's his element IMO. That guitar absolutely rules ..with that vid of Phil playing and signing it. Well, that up'd the value for sure.

I think you'll be VERY happy with the Tone Zone and Chopper in that guitar. They sound great in my '95 SD-III trans-green quilt maple over Walnut w/ Floyd. It's actually the nicest looking guitar I own...so it doesn't get much play. I'm silly like that. I'd like to have something with a sustainer tho.

Edit; Yes, that does remind me of the primo PRS tops...ummm rootbeer finish?
              Thanks Bill, and yeah I agree, Phil's strength is in melodic leads not 'shredding' but having heard the live CD, he sure does seem to like doing that fast alternate picking thing!

I have a ToneZone in my 95 Koa Charvel SD1 (sound familiar?!) and I used to have an SD3 as well, so yeah, the pickups were something of a known quantity already! But it sounds awesome :-) I'd normally stick to Duncans or EMGs but decided to give Dimarzios a try, in keeping with the PC1 vibe!

Oh, and I think it's close to the PRS 'Tiger Eye' finish...
              Last edited by neilli; 08-06-2012, 09:30 AM.
              Popular is not the same as good
              Rare is not the same as valuable
              Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by busdriver View Post
                A few years ago this wasn't possible. A custom Jackson guitar was not possible with Strat headstock and a custom Charvel guitar was not possible with 24 frets. That's what I've been told. Shreddermon, I know that they did a 24 fret Charvel for you, but that was a bit later.
                Sorry to correct you bro - the first part of this is accurate, but not the latter.

When they first announced allowing custom Charvels with strat headstocks at NAMM several years ago, I immediately ordered two guitars - one was a 22 fret Strat, the other a 24 fret Dinky. I exchanged emails to place these guitars on order while the dealer was literally still attending that NAMM show, so I know for sure this was permitted from day one. I've since received a second 24 fret'r and, just a few days ago, finalized a work order for a third one. So I know from personal experience it has been allowed all along, and still is today.

..I guess I'm just one of very few people ordering them that way.

Comment

Is that the 24 fret dinky I now have Pat?
                  Popular is not the same as good
                  Rare is not the same as valuable
                  Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

No, Ian - that 24 fret pointyhead was ordered quite a bit before they allowed custom shop stratheads. To clarify: I was only speaking about being able to get 24 fret'rs with stratheads. Here's the two I already have, the orange-to-red sunburst was the first I ordered, mentioned above.

(And apologies for the thread topic hijack, bro - if more discussion, it might be better to move this to a separate thread.)

Comment

Sorry to correct you bro - the first part of this is accurate, but not the latter.

When they first announced allowing custom Charvels with strat headstocks at NAMM several years ago, I immediately ordered two guitars - one was a 22 fret Strat, the other a 24 fret Dinky. I exchanged emails to place these guitars on order while the dealer was literally still attending that NAMM show, so I know for sure this was permitted from day one. I've since received a second 24 fret'r and, just a few days ago, finalized a work order for a third one. So I know from personal experience it has been allowed all along, and still is today.
                      I can't remember exacly when I wanted to order that guitar, but that was when the first PC-1 models with Strat headstock showed up. Could be that custom Charvels with Strat headstock were not allowed yet, but they existed (Retro Bullseye / Retro Star). Whatever. At that time it didn't work out and it's good to know that it's possible now.

Comment

FAP FAP FAP FAP, oh lordeh lordeh

Comment

Thanks Neilli! As long as they accept my specs, I'll be ordering my own "PC1" as soon as they confirm.
                          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by busdriver View Post
                            I can't remember exacly when I wanted to order that guitar, but that was when the first PC-1 models with Strat headstock showed up. Could be that custom Charvels with Strat headstock were not allowed yet, but they existed (Retro Bullseye / Retro Star). Whatever. At that time it didn't work out and it's good to know that it's possible now.
                            Correct - PC1s with stratheads arrived well before Charvel custom shops were allowed with stratheads. So no custom stratheads were allowed at that time, including PC1 versions.

Comment

Correct - PC1s with stratheads arrived well before Charvel custom shops were allowed with stratheads. So no custom stratheads were allowed at that time, including PC1 versions.
                              Just like everything about Jackson, there's always an exception or two to the rule.
                              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

As a general matter, yep totally agree with that. On this particular issue, though, they were pretty consistent in not allowing it. The FMIC lawyers control the strathead thing with an iron fist. LOL ...And I've yet to see an exception to the rules that were in place at that time.

Comment

Working...
                                X