Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favorite bass for METAL, and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is your favorite bass for METAL, and why?

"but can you really play metal? just pure metal Bill, without the urge to funk-slap and jazz-tap and dickslap the shit out of your bass?"

Yes I am on the new Attaxe cd just released..just straight forward power metal..

but mostly No I can Not..I find my right hand on the neck alot..and I like the punch the slap gives me when riding with the kicks.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'll post my live solo someday..and send you and some guys my VH tribute disc..but I need to make copies tho...somehow! [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Nothing beats a G & L 2000..NOTHING!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The hottest, coolest pups on the planet..you want GROWL..it's all about GROWL and TONE!!

I owned Alembec/Kubicki/Ken Smith/Pedulla/Zons/Ricks/Warwicks/P and J & Sting Rays basses..NOTHING comes close to the G & L..in sound feel and performance..in my awesome opinion!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

that's almost 30 years of bass playing experience..and I rule! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 The L2000 is versitile as hell and sounds amazing

Comment

Well my JACKSON CMG CONCERT BASS PLAYS GREAT!! AND IM SURE MY CUSTOM SHOP RHOADS BASS WILL PLAY EXCELLENT ALSO!!!!

I like alder bodies, EMG 35-DC pick ups, maple neck w/ ebony bound fret board and headstock, OH! And that SEXY JACKSON LOGO ON THE HEAD IN MOP!!!

Comment

Spector. Of every bass I've recorded, they provide the best solid low end with enough bite on the top to cut through a wall of guitars.
          ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

"Spector"...had 'em..John's old bassist still does..

G & L L2000!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'd like to have a neck through USA Jackson Soloist style bass. I missed out on a couple of late 80's, early 90's several months ago. I think with this combination with EMG pickups would be a killer metal bass. Add some graphics like the the 6 string guitars and you would have a great product.
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

My bud had the active EMG's in his favorite '62 P bass..he's in the Oct '88 Guitar Player Mike Varney's Spotlight next to Richie Kotzen

He heard my G & L and immediately ordered their active 9v battery "Magnetic Fields" pups..

He routered his mint '62 to accommodate the pups and NEVER looked back..it actually sounded like MY bass!

Jackson NEEDS to design pups like that. They are the loudest most versatile bass pups I've ever known!!!!

HEARING is believing Irf knows what I'm talking about!!

don't worry if the 9volt dies..it just goes passive..but the batteries always last forever..years!

I ALWAYS got compliments on my tone from sound guys and the local players..

You want the best..get the best...I searched and tried them all..Bartolinis, EMGs, EBOs don't come close!!

G & L..Magnetic Fields SMOKE!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I used to have a G&L Tribute L-2000, those have the same electronics as the US models, right? I really liked that bass. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

It's EXACTLY the same!!

I will be picking up one of those G & L "tributes" myself soon...damn right I am..I wouldn't consider wasting a single penny on anything else.

Comment

I tried an old jazz bass with Sadowsky preamp (the combination that Marcus Miller is using) it sounded GREAT, I like the idea of having the passive and active option both.

also Neuser basses have amazing tone and feel

many basses with EMGs don't have that great bell like clean tone while slapping, smaller companies'/custom made pups sound way better IMHO

I need to try out the L-2000, it has all the options that one would ever need and I checked out the guys who are using them, most of them are sessions players, all with AMAZING tone.
                      Last edited by Endrik; 04-01-2006, 04:47 AM.
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I'm with Bill, I like the L-2000. But I like Stingrays a lot too.

Comment

i don't have space for a bass guitar. instead i programmed my boss gt-8 guitar fx and my wrmg guitar sounds like an authentic bass within reasonable limits. otherwise, i'd like to get a cmg bass.
                          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Hey I just watched an old Rough Cutt video..and Matt Thorne has a white G&L L2000 with a bass Kahler on it..so he could do that vibrato in their tune "Black Widow"..

Yeah Sting Rays are GREAT...but the G & L has a better feel and balance to them..and more "useful" on board "tones' to play with!!

pretty cool..

Shit, I gotta buy a new one..I'll get that Tribute..they look nice...the best sounding active pups EVER!!!!
                            Last edited by horns666; 04-04-2006, 04:25 PM.

Comment

I have to be biased here, and say the basses I used to build were the best for metal, because they were designed and built by a metalhead FOR metalheads...LOL!

Just kidding....my favorite for recording was a Gibson Thunderbird bass with EMG's

Comment

T-birds are fucking badass!!! without the emg's of corse
                                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
                                X