Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1991 Warrior Pro, someone please educate me on my new guitar !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1991 Warrior Pro, someone please educate me on my new guitar !

Originally posted by Newc:
    "Keep it all original" - UGH! Those Armstrong pickups are the absolute crappiest, nasally, wonkyiest pickups I've ever heard.

Believe me when I say that there's absolutely no harm in modding the guitar, and you'd be a stooge to suffer with those Armstrong rails for the sake of keeping it original. They just plain suck.

Newc
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You are right, the armstrong pickups suck. alot.

Im not sure what my fear is of doing a rout and pickup swap. A single and a humbucker is the exact sound im looking for. Is GMW the best choice for doing this kind of work ?

What do you all think of the Hotrails / Distortion Trembucker combination ? Does a trumbucker still work well when it is slanted ?

Comment

Everyone who's done the "normal humbucker" route to straighten out the pickup, no matter how well done, looks like a hack job unless you get the guitar refinished.

Hack job=teh crap
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

i figured as much. I would just leave it slanted.

Comment

but my concern is, would a trembucker still have the same effect ?

Comment

No. A trembucker is designed to line up with the strings when sitting in a normal route, so a slanted route means it will not line up. A normal pickup's poles will line up in the slanted route but not as well as a real trembucker in a standard route.
            Your best bet for perfect alignment is a dual-rail pickup like the Hot Rails, though as I said, the Lil/Jr Duncans will work just fine.

I don't know if you could fit an X2N in the route - that might work.

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Hrm, I actually wanted to try and X2N quite badly. But remeber, we are talking if i got the slanted double single coil space routed to fit a humbucker.

If that was done, i would be better just going with a standard humbucker rather than a trembucker for a slanted spot ?

Comment

In most cases, you shouldn't need to re-route out the dual single route at the bridge. You WILL have to make modifications to the pickup base though.
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I see, thats very interesting news.

My RR1 has EMG 81's in it, but I wanted to try something passive, since ive never really played high quality passive electronics.

What would be a good single coil match for the X2N ?

Comment

I just got a response from Lee at GMW saying he has never heard of any such modifications being done.

[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] this sucks.

Comment

Hey Paddok if I can a pic of mine in it's current state I'll see if maybe charvel 750 or somebody will host a pic for me. I have the EMG 81 installed like you spoke about but it is slanted as well as the EMG single in the neck.
                      According To The Prophecy

Comment

#1 - With the EMG, it has a plastic leg, which can be more easily trimmed to fit in the slanted route than the metal leg of a passive pickup.

#2 - If you did have the slanted bridge routes made into a regular hummer you would need a trem-spaced humbucker because it has a tremolo.

Newc
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I think you should definitely go the route of modding the humbucker pickup to be slanted or offset....that looks awesome IMO. They should have done that for all those old Kramers...I hate the regular slanted humbucker look...it just looks crooked in that case.

Comment

Originally posted by PaddoK:
                            Hrm, I actually wanted to try and X2N quite badly. But remeber, we are talking if i got the slanted double single coil space routed to fit a humbucker.

If that was done, i would be better just going with a standard humbucker rather than a trembucker for a slanted spot ?
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I would suggest going with all blade pups such as a DiMarzio X2N for the bridge, a Duncan Hot Rails or DiMarzio The Chopper, Pro Track or Fast Track 2 for the neck.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well, if I had to get the guitar routed, I would most deffinatly just do it for a slanted humbucker. The normal humb just looks like its too poorly done.

Im still trying to figure out this pickup modification thing. Would it be the type of thing were I would have to take a dremel to the pickup and install it myself ?

Also, since EMG's are active, do they have the similar qualities to a railed humbucker ? Would they be a problem slanted ?

Comment

I have no problem with my EMG's & they are both slanted it might also depend on what your running your guitar through. I'm useing Rack gear so if there was a problem with the tone I wouldn't notice it to much since I'm a rack gear nut, & tone fanatic. I have a dual 31 band EQ rack & the 2120 I use has usualy 2 EQ settings per chanel.
                                Both about 10 to 15 EQ settings each one. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                                According To The Prophecy

Comment

Working...
                                X