• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 7 strings

+1 for the Carin

Comment

Hot Licks also had the KB Rhoads (red & bevels) guitars, as well as both the Camo and Black COW guitars. IIRC, they also had a bunch of Phil Collen guitars. I didn't have a whole lot of time to look around and take good note of what they had - but they had a crap load of non GC guitars. That was a cool visit.
      www.WarCurse.com

Comment

I took a trip down to Hot Licks this past weekend to try out the COW seven. I wasn't all that impressed, unfortunately. The quality, feel and sound just weren't there, in my opinion.

I didn't bother to try out the Bond Rhoads, since I'm not a Rhoads guy, but it was a nice looking guitar. Not cheap, for an import, though--getting a little too close for comfort to the actual retail on an RR1.

Comment

that sux that you didnt like it. I hope that was just a preference thing.. I really like the DK6.. so I hope I like the 7 just as much...
          Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I took a trip down to Hot Licks this past weekend to try out the COW seven. I wasn't all that impressed, unfortunately. The quality, feel and sound just weren't there, in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt the same way. The whole thing felt cheap to me.
            www.WarCurse.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              that sux that you didnt like it. I hope that was just a preference thing.. I really like the DK6.. so I hope I like the 7 just as much...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you like the 6, I'm sure you'll like the 7. I'm primarily comparing it against the neckthru JacksonStars Soloist-7 that you've probably seen threads about here. Overall, the COW just feels like they cut too many corners in comparison. Nothing big, but just a lot of little things--the frets weren't quite as nice, the wood isn't very toneful, that sort of thing. The black version of the COW-7 was selling for around $700, which is comparable to retail on the LTD Stephen Carpenter 7-string and the Schecter C-7 Hellraiser, and I have my doubts on whether it compares well to those--though I generally hate LTDs, so I'd probably take the COW over the Carpenter.

On the positive side, the neck on the COW is very comfortable with better high fret access than I thought it would have as a bolt-on with a big neck heel. The neck's not as thin as an Ibanez 7, but more so than a Schecter, and maybe a little thinner also than other Jackson 7's I've played. Nice ebony fretboard, too.

Comment

The biggest problems I've notcied with the new imports is they tend to be too light to be the alder or mahogany they're claiming to be. You plug them in, and it's the same thing: it just sounds like their is some weight missing from the tone.

They're not bad guitars. It's just that the USA's are better in every single way, and now I'm spoiled.

Comment

Working...
                X