7 strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 strings

Hey there guys, not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes. I'm looking at buying a 7-string and here are my options so far:

COW DK7 (Pro - Ebony board, EMG)
    Carvin DC727 (Pro - Neck-thru, stainless frets)
    Schecter C-7 Blackjack (Pro - 26.5 scale, set-neck, SD pups)
    Ibanez RG1527 (This one is the wildcard, it has a trem I would block and a basswood body but the necks are supposed to be really nice)

They're all fairly similar in price, so what do you all think is the best way to go?

Re: 7 strings

I'd go with the Schecter [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It has great specifications, and if I'm not wrong you can buy a new one with 600$ . This seems very cheap to me, considering the jb-jazz duncans on it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Check my bands!
    www.myspace.com/magicktr
    www.myspace.com/sinif64
    www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

I'm actually leaning toward the COW at this point simply because it looks the coolest. I am concerned about tuning stability though. How well do pointy headstocks hold tune with the major angle the strings make after the nut?

Comment

All my guitars have pointy headstocks, so I can't really make a comparison there, but I prefer reversed headstocks. The bass-side strings seem to me to have a more percussive quality, which I really like.
        sigpic

Comment

Out of that list, Carvin is the obvious choice. Materials and workmanship blows away all the imports on that list.

Comment

If you like EMG's, you should also check out the Schecter C-7 Hellraiser. Same stats as the Blackjack (extended scale, mahogany body and neck, rosewood fretboard) only with 2 EMG707's and cross inlays instead of dots. The only thing it lacks in my opinion is neck binding, that would make the guitar extremely classy as well as badass.

Comment

I just ordered a COW DK7 but i wont have it for a while...
              Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with EMG's and mahagony...
                Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

I had a 1527 for a while. It was a great guitar once I put a set of Duncans in it. I just couldn't get to the ultra thin neck. It was a really nice neck, built and finished very well. I just prefer a little more beef in my hands. (insert obligatory masturbation joke here)

Comment

I'd go Schecter or Carvin... unless you prefer a thinner neck like an Ibanez.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

After hearing pro-fusion's Koa Carvin the other night, I'd say go that route - the Koa really works well with the 7 string.

The downside, of course, is that it's expensive...
                      Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

If money's not an issue go Carvin. If your budget is limited go with Schecter.

Comment

Carvin

Comment

Jackson
                            Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

Yeah, I just got an all-Koa Carvin DC747 off eBay a couple of weeks ago. It's a very nice seven, and has a great-feeling neck--slightly thicker than an Ibanez, but not nearly as thick as you'd find on a Schecter. The stock Carvin pickups aren't that great however, and are a bitch to swap.

I believe that it's very difficult to get a koa Carvin right now, due to the current difficulty in obtaining a supply of that wood. Also, that would be a significant upcharge that would probably put a new 727 out of your price range. However, I think a 727 would also sound good in all-mahogany--a bit darker than mine, perhaps, but not too much so, given that Carvins tend toward brightness. I would stay away from getting a Carvin with a lot of maple in it--they are bright and tinny sounding that way.

I haven't yet seen a 7-string Schecter C7 Blackjack, but I've played the 6-string version in the store and really like it. I'm thinking about getting one myself. Jeff Loomis seems to dig both the C7 and 007 Blackjacks, so there's a pretty good endorsement.

I haven't owned an Ibanez 1527, but I did own its predecessor, the 7620. It played very nice, and had a great trem, but they are made of basswood, and the tone just sucks ass, in my opinion. Basswood ain't bad for six-stringer, but it doesn't have enough 'snap' for the low B, especially with a trem involved.

I'm curious to try out a COW. If it was neckthru, I'd already have ordered one.

Comment

Working...
                              X