Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 7 strings

[ QUOTE ]
    For you DC types, Hot Licks in Waldorf, MD has (or had at least) the COW-7...

[/ QUOTE ]

What the heck were you doing in Waldorf? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Mars Musicians Planet, got bought out by Guitar Center/Musicians Friend...

[/ QUOTE ]

So, thats who picked up the pieces after they went bankrupt. I remember the last few days when the auditors were running the place, and you couldn't get a deal or work with them on anything, because anything they didn't sell they were just going to wholesale off.

Comment

yeah, they didnt sell Jackson did they. I called asking about Jacksons, and they told me they sold ESP instead.

The only reason I know Mars is now MF, if you go to Marsmusic.com, it takes you to MF... or at least it used to
        Piney Hills New Site <------Clicky Clicky

CALL THE SHOP @ 318.232.3002

instock inventory

Comment

They sold Jacksons really early on, for maybe the first four months.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the Springfield one had a USA RR1 that they ended up selling cheap because it got dropped THREE times, each leaving a different part damaged.

Mega Music Marts are just a bad idea, period. GC's bad enough...
            Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They had a lot of variety early on, and then suddenly it turned into a wall of LTDs... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

They went under, in part, because their basic concept was unworkable--they had a lot of expensive floor space, but not nearly as much product displayed as GC does. Remember they had that stage built in, as well as big aisles you could walk through? That amount of open space might work in high-end department stores selling expensive clothing made by the same Chinese prison labor that makes the stuff sold at Marshall's, but instrument retailing doesn't provide even close to that level of profit margin, so floor space is precious.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                So, thats who picked up the pieces after they went bankrupt. I remember the last few days when the auditors were running the place, and you couldn't get a deal or work with them on anything, because anything they didn't sell they were just going to wholesale off.

[/ QUOTE ]

They had some good deals in that liquidation, though. I got a new EMG85 for about $30. I wasn't interested in any of the LTD guitars they had left, but there were some spankin' deals on those, as well.

Comment

yeah, I can imagine.. When I lived on Tampa. there was a huge Mars... but they were all fucking morons there and didnt know a neck through from a neck tie...
                  so i didnt buy even a string from them... I always dealt with Thoroughbred Music. (now Sam Ash) but they suck now too.

instock inventory

Comment

Yeah, I picked up 50 .009 strings (the loose coils they sell to large stores) for $3. I'm still pissed about the 8-string Washburn bass that I missed at $220. I was three days away from pay day, and the liquidators would not hold anything at that point. Everyone that worked at the store knew me and would have set it aside, but they were no longer calling the shots.

Mars' biggest problem was the CEO. He was embezzeling money from the company, instead of using it to pay the bills to the manufacturers. So, they quit sending gear, and all that was left was a wall of LTDs.

Comment

the guy that started the stores had a cool story...

He went into a guitar store to buy a fender. He was worth millions at the time. but he was not excaclty un scruffy looking. He wanted to play a couple of guitars and the employees acted like they didnt want to help him. One of them even said something about him looking at something more affordable... he pulled out a cell phone and made a couple of calls and then told the employees that they were fired and he had just bought the store.. They laughed at him, and then he asked to speak to the manager (called him by name) and said the same thing... The manager laughed too. Then the phone rang and the owner told them he had just sold the store.. and three people were fired.

I dont know if the story is true. but a girl I used to band was a flight attendant and she met the guy and thats the story he gave to her

instock inventory

Comment

The dude is a straight up dick, he is the CEO and founder of Office Depot, and he wanted to apply the same principal to the music business. I saw pictures of him with a guitar, and he never even seemed to be holding it right.

Comment

thats about right...

I would think the founder of Office Depot would know how to dress and look proffesional when going to purchase things... The better you present yourself it seems the better you are able to negotiate the deal.. They just take you more serious

instock inventory

Comment

unless he was planning to do that.. which could be right if he is a "straight up DICK" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

instock inventory

Comment

I'm surprised the guy didn't have his minions doing his guitar shopping for him. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The other thing I heard about Mars was that they tried to expand too quickly. Essentially, they tried to replicate the Best Buy model, where the company went in debt up to its eyeballs opening a lot of new stores in just a few months, with the hope that they could develop an overwhelming market presence that would allow them to pay all that debt. Ended up being a total bust. Even Best Buy only succeeded because Circuit City got lazy, and BB had big financial difficulties for awhile.

Ultimately, I agree with Mike--the mega stores pretty much suck for experienced players who are looking for something more specialized. Such as a quality 7-stringer, for instance.

Comment

yeah... I like some megastore stuff. u know for amps and shit.. but I buy my guitars from people like Scott @Vwall, and Rob@ guitarasylum.. Better sales, and its more aimed at someone who was the good shit. Hell, Guitar Asylum doesnt even stock the low end Jacksons

instock inventory

Comment

Working...
                                X